Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know it's been less than a week since RDZ left, but do feel like we could have really f***ed it this time around. They knew about RDZ leaving, ages ago. If we don't get our first choice, whoever that is, then we are SCREWED. I will find it infuriating if we slide backwards, all because we didn't want to break the mould for success. We are in great hands, but I fear this was a big f*** up.
Yes, yes ..... we're entitled to better, aren't we .....................

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Times reporting tonight that McKenna wants the ManU job, his boyhood club.

Chelsea or Brighton not his preference.
It’s really no secret he wants Man Utd.

But he has not earned his wings yet. No better flying school than down here.

If he goes straight there, he’s in for a massive fall.
IMG_4820.jpeg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Apologies if it has already been mentioned several pages back that we have already allegedly interviewed McKenna.....

McKenna is also wanted by Brighton & Hove Albion and Chelsea. It is understood Brighton interviewed him on Wednesday but his preference would be to return to Old Trafford. McKenna — who earned promotion to the Premier League this season with Ipswich Town — is a boyhood United fan and left the club in 2021 having spent five years there, initially working with the under-18s before José Mourinho promoted him to the first team, where he stayed as a coach under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick.

The full article is behind The Times paywall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/fo...a-manager-erik-ten-hag-ipswich-town-2chq25zl0
I can understand his feelings for United. I can’t really believe he’s in the running. You assume they must have indicated he’s in with a good chance.

We know anyone we employ probably sees the club as a stepping stone but for it to be so obvious from the start makes me uneasy. If we can land someone else with similar potential - or better - I think I’d probably prefer it now. Every time we win a couple of games, this guy would be linked with a move.

Of course, being interviewed isn’t the same as being offered the opportunity. Who knows how it went and whether we’re still interested at this point.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I can understand his feelings for United. I can’t really believe he’s in the running. You assume they must have indicated he’s in with a good chance.

We know anyone we employ probably sees the club as a stepping stone but for it to be so obvious from the start makes me uneasy. If we can land someone else with similar potential - or better - I think I’d probably prefer it now. Every time we win a couple of games, this guy would be linked with a move.

Of course, being interviewed isn’t the same as being offered the opportunity. Who knows how it went and whether we’re still interested at this point.
I'm sure Bloom would again have written into any contract that it can only be broken by the successor at the end of a season, with of course some serious compensation effectively going a long way in paying for the following managers contract.
In this sense think TB sees managers rather like players, an investment even if they do move on relatively quickly.
Maybe a year's is all that can be assured, almost like it's a long time in management these days, but yes I do also take your point.
TB is after the best talent he can get right now, not the best talent that will see out the contract.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And the head coach is a job, a cog in the Albion machine. An important one yes, but with clearly defined duties and responsibilities which don’t overlap with others. The days of the old school football manager under Bloom’s structure are never coming back. ‘Arry Redknapp isn’t going to rock up and get the blower to his old mate Dave to bring one of his boys in as cover at left back.

The head coach develops the squad, picks the team and tactics, does his mandated media duties and that seems to be just about it. I’m sure he can (and has) recommend players he’d like, but that’s managed by another head of department parallel to the head coach on the company pyramid.

The reason for this is precisely that we need to be able to be fluid and replace in-demand assets, be it players, recruitment staff, coaches or anyone in the business.

One leaves, another slots in with minimum fuss into the role without too much upheaval.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's quite astonishing how much McKenna's reputation has soared, purely because 3 premier league clubs are interested in signing him.

His stock may never be this high again.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I get that people hate potter for leaving but it seems a strange rewriting of history to not acknowledge we were good when he left.

The penny seemed to drop at the end of the 21/22 season with those victories over Arsenal, spurs and 4-0 vs United. It saw us pick up 17 points from 8 games.

The following season didn’t we have 13 points from 6 matches?

So in potter’s last 14 matches in charge we got 30 points. So that is 2.14 points per game. We will never know if we would have continued through the season like that.

RDZ in the season he took over got 1.53 from his 32 games.

Say what you want about how you feel about him for leaving but pretending we were not starting to play some great stuff and the vast majority being gutted when he left is a bit odd.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Times reporting tonight that McKenna wants the ManU job, his boyhood club.

Chelsea or Brighton not his preference.
Hopefully we have already moved on and the current top target is no one yet mentioned and much closer to signing.

My impression ( which may not be right ) is that we "mutually" binned off De Zerbi ( big error ) because we thought McKenna was in the bag. And then it fell apart.

So with McKenna I'm at the "never wanted him anyway" stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here