[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lizzibee

May 22, 2024
I think you are overestimating how much you would be able to spend this window with FFP in place.

Ipswich made losses of £18m last year and £12.5m the year before. FFP rules are that PL clubs can't lose more than £105m over past three seasons, but there will be much less allowable losses for Ipswich because of the season in L1 and the Championship which have different limits/rules - someone on here estimated that you'd be allowed losses of £61m - which means you could spend less than £30m. I'm not sure how far that would get you, especially in terms of leverage for a manager.

Brighton made a profit of £122m last season and are on track for similar this season, so could really offer a new manager a bumper spend - I'm pretty sure it was reported that Tony was happy to do so this Summer.

People criticise us for selling players, but it's the only way to be able to survive and spend further in the PL. Plus players (and staff) agitate for moves as you might be about to find out. We've lost about 11 playing and backroom staff to Chelsea, three to Newcastle and two to Arsenal in the space of two years. It is a nightmare but something you will have to get used to if you continue to be successful.

On to your other point about not knowing what more Brighton could offer (aside from money - which would be nowhere near Man U/Chelsea), our squad was decimated by injuries last season which affected us a lot. But the fit squad contains Japan's best player, the winner of the AFCON best young player award, players that represent their national teams in Brazil, Argentina, Germany, England (and England youth), Netherlands, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Ecuador, Scotland, Poland, Ireland, Paraguay.

Plus we have a state of the art training ground, Category 1 academy and recently hired one of the best sports doctors on Germany to prevent another injury crisis! These things take time, patience and a few set backs.
Not at all - we have a very sound finance team. Our squad has cost very little - lies of Hirst, Broady and Davis only cost c£1m. Sure our plan is to continue to squad as is with some sensible additions (not doing a Forest) as that's what sorted us last season.
We are building our new training ground - pitches already done at cat one standard.
When I say the offer, its more that Kieran has complete control on all aspect of the club - he has designed our training ground, recruitment and all other aspects with no interference - that is unique

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
hello - name the Sarmiento price - that Southampton goal is priceless
Not sure his stock would fall - look at Kompany - that's gone ok. That said, dont think we'll go down - we'll be a surprise package again
The input he has at Ipswich is massive - he has the final say pretty much in everything - no questions asked
I think Kompany is very much an anomaly.
I hope you don’t go down, but it will be very tough for you, as it is for all newly promoted teams including ourselves.

He’ll get the final say at Brighton, but just won’t select the players in the first place.

I think Sarmiento could go for between £8m - £12m, though I know others will disagree.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I probably shouldn't jump on this being an Ipswich fan but....

The feeling at the club is that McKenna isn't leaving (apart from odd twitter posters)- the messages before the end of season and post have been about continuing the journey with Ipswich and at the moment our major shareholder is over for discussions. This happened last year and ended with a new contract for him.
Manchester United is a curve ball but that is too much of a toxic place for him, likewise Chelsea. He is untested in management so is a massive risk for those two to take him at the moment.

As for Brighton - personally I don't think it offers much more than what he has at the moment as a complete package. At the moment he has complete control over facilities and development and player recruitment and retention and as much money as he wants (and as regulations allow).

Much of what is circulating is social medial and unfounded. Mark Ashton came out the other day and said not to believe social medial or anything until it came from the club.

I get we wont keep him for ever, but the current feeling is he'll stick a season with us. He signed a new contract last season without the guarantee of PL football so can't see that changing. Whatever he is being offered will match most clubs.

I could be wrong, but our major shareholder from America wouldnt be over if McKenna had said hell no, I'm not staying...

Let's see what happens - but whatever happens can we keep Sarmiento?
Welcome. You're quite clearly a fan. My expectation is you'll be disappointed with KM -- but feel free to bounce when he's on the touchline for your first game at Portman Road. And, yes, more than willing for you to buy Sarmiento for a price.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
You’re a bit mad - why the hell would you want Potter back.
I just do not comprehend anyone wanting this.
Utterly crazy!! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Where have I said I want him back? Just stating that GB’s non stop criticism is wearing…imo. He was not the spawn of the devil until he left, he gave RDZ the platform. Without GP’s input I sincerely doubt RDZ would have taken the job :shrug:

Bitterness is not a healthy trait

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree that it could be a howler but Roberto spouting off about it publicly is the crux of the matter. As for Roberto, its put his immediate hopes of a big club coming for him into a little doubt because of his dissing or made them think again?
We loved RDZ as he got the fans spoke like a fan at times to. This upset some as they seem more happy with a boring yes man.
He’s the best manager we’ve ever had IMO. Football is meant to be enjoyable for all parties and Roberto loved winning and wanted to win more. The decision to axe someone who wanted to push on for more success says all you need to know really. One interest develop players and flog them he soon discovered the reality of the club and didn’t agree with it.

Lizzibee

May 22, 2024
Welcome. You're quite clearly a fan. My expectation is you'll be disappointed with KM -- but feel free to bounce when he's on the touchline for your first game at Portman Road. And, yes, more than willing for you to buy Sarmiento for a price.
I am a fan - first game 1985 with a milkcate v Cov when Butcher cut his head open
Not sure on KMK - genuinely think (and hope) he is different

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Potter is a decent manager. But as a club and a culture we have outgrown him. We a trying to progress not regress.

I can’t see Tony going back after what RDZ offered in comparison to potter.

Don’t be fooled people. Potter failed to get us out of so many slumps. He needed lockdown to pick up some form.

I also have it on very very good authority that he lost the dressing room at certain points. When he left for Chelsea dunk shrugged his shoulders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am a fan - first game 1985 with a milkcate v Cov when Butcher cut his head open
Not sure on KMK - genuinely think (and hope) he is different
As one or two others have said, be delighted if it was the case. Can't see it myself. It's broadly horrible in the PL. We've had a fine time of it, after three or four years of just surviving, and have had a wonderful last season or two. It's worse than when we came up though.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Where have I said I want him back? Just stating that GB’s non stop criticism is wearing…imo. He was not the spawn of the devil until he left, he gave RDZ the platform. Without GP’s input I sincerely doubt RDZ would have taken the job :shrug:

Bitterness is not a healthy trait
Not as tiresome as the people on here are obsessed with giving as much credit as possible to potter and playing down De Zerbi’s impact. His return would be the single least ambitious move of the Bloom era.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter is a decent manager. But as a club and a culture we have outgrown him. We a trying to progress not regress.

I can’t see Tony going back after what RDZ offered in comparison to potter.

Don’t be fooled people. Potter failed to get us out of so many slumps. He needed lockdown to pick up some form.

I also have it on very very good authority that he lost the dressing room at certain points. When he left for Chelsea dunk shrugged his shoulders.
Whilst I agree with most of your post if the club really wanted progression they would have come to an agreement with RDZ.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
We loved RDZ as he got the fans spoke like a fan at times to. This upset some as they seem more happy with a boring yes man.
He’s the best manager we’ve ever had IMO. Football is meant to be enjoyable for all parties and Roberto loved winning and wanted to win more. The decision to axe someone who wanted to push on for more success says all you need to know really. One interest develop players and flog them he soon discovered the reality of the club and didn’t agree with it.
The people who wanted RDZ out are the same ones frothing at the mouth for Potter to come back! It makes me feel very validated in my defence of Roberto

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
D
Not as tiresome as the people on here are obsessed with giving as much credit as possible to potter and playing down De Zerbi’s impact. His return would be the single least ambitious move of the Bloom era.

if that is directed at me, I give Potter credit for what he did but he shat on us, RDZ gave us the best football we have ever seen but in the last few months turned into a loose cannon and no I am not praising that! Both let us down ultimately unless you are one of those, and there are a few, who are blaming TB rather than RDZ and claiming lack of ambition. Which to me is quite f***ing mind boggling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports