Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Stop caring about xg. Potter is proof it means very, very little. We were a meme remember.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The 28th best GK in the PL by this metric

Arijanet Muric of Burnley being near top is interesting, Can he play with feet? bet he will be getting offers back in PL with such stats.

I though Vicario looked excellent most times I'd watched him, surprised he wasnt higher.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Arijanet Muric of Burnley being near top is interesting, Can he play with feet? bet he will be getting offers back in PL with such stats.

I though Vicario looked excellent most times I'd watched him, surprised he wasnt higher.
After our game against them, I can't decide if you're being sarcastic or not!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Talking of Covid, he didn't win a single game in 2020 until lockdown saved him. And I don't take your point at all about the 2nd season, Covid affected literally every other team in the country, we weren't special or anything.

He's an ok coach. Good at developing players, obviously calmer than the last bloke, some vaguely interesting tactics at times, nicer football than Hughts. But in terms of results he was crap until April 22 and within six months of then, he'd used that to f*** off to a bigger club - who sacked him.
Yes. We did have a strong end to the 21/22 season but we also had a strong start. he . He had 4 wins out of 5. If we'd beaten Palace (the maupay equaliser) - we'd have gone top of the table after 6 games and we only lost 4 out our first 25 games.
Of course he was inconsistent but idea that he was "crap" until he picked Caicedo ...needs a bit of context .
(It was also a stronger season overall than Albion last year under RDZ)

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but we will sell this summer - I’d be amazed if we do t cash in on Mitoma at the very least.
If the club were intent on selling Mitoma then why would we schedule 2 high profile friendlies in Japan for the end of July? This mini-tour is designed to reinforce and turbo boost our Japanese fanbase, which will be decimated if Mitoma leaves.

Indeed, I think it more likely that Mitoma will stay and be joined by another of his compatriots.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If the club were intent on selling Mitoma then why would we schedule 2 high profile friendlies in Japan for the end of July? This mini-tour is designed to reinforce and turbo boost our Japanese fanbase, which will be decimated if Mitoma leaves.

Indeed, I think it more likely that Mitoma will stay and be joined by another of his compatriots.
Well, I hope you’re right :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes. We did have a strong end to the 21/22 season but we also had a strong start. he . He had 4 wins out of 5. If we'd beaten Palace (the maupay equaliser) - we'd have gone top of the table after 6 games and we only lost 4 out our first 25 games.
Of course he was inconsistent but idea that he was "crap" until he picked Caicedo ...needs a bit of context .
And if we'd had the form of the seven games prior to him picking Caicedo all season, we'd have gone down with fewer points than this season's Sheffield Utd :shrug:

I disagree - I’m amazed how good we think we are… Moran ? That’s a stretch, I’m still unconvinced by Buonanotte, flashes aside… Sarmiento - give over and Rushworth won’t be here, someone else mentioned Offiah - really ? Barco is green and not a FB … and we don’t know how Osman will adapt … hmmmm

We could easily lose Mitoma and Gross this close season, especially if the latter shines for Germany… even a Gross in decline is a better option than Hinsh starting the season in CM.

We’re in transition, a dangerous one.

This appointment is pivotal, and I remain unconvinced by the reported options.

Losing Roberto isn’t as simple to solve as we think, we’re at a crossroads.

Whether we go the way of Stoke, Southampton et al remains to be seen.

In actuality, losing Roberto is FAR worse than when we lost Potter, squad wise and reputation wise… this will be tricky, very tricky.
The last paragraph is pretty much where I am with this. Irrespective of injuries I still believe Roberto did pretty well all things considered. Yes, he made mistakes but my word he still had us playing some good stuff even to playing united off the park for 60 mins with a patched up team. We could very well have pushed again next season for Europe with a fully fit squad and just 2 decent additions with Roberto in charge. We may still do that with the new guy in but I have this feeling that we may have made a huge error in parting ways with RDZ.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And if we'd had the form of the seven games prior to him picking Caicedo all season, we'd have gone down with fewer points than this season's Sheffield Utd :shrug:
Yes. we lost 6 games in a row that season. If you just take those games and extrapolate we'd have gone down with no points whatsoever !!

Of course. He was inconsistent . So was our last manager... but 21/22 was more of a solid season than a crap one - or idea that that it was merely 7 or 8 games where he struck lucky .

And yes. No knee slides from Graham - at any time . which is a shame.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Talking of Covid, he didn't win a single game in 2020 until lockdown saved him. And I don't take your point at all about the 2nd season, Covid affected literally every other team in the country, we weren't special or anything.

He's an ok coach. Good at developing players, obviously calmer than the last bloke, some vaguely interesting tactics at times, nicer football than Hughts. But in terms of results he was crap until April 22 and within six months of then, he'd used that to f*** off to a bigger club - who sacked him.
‘Lockdown saved him’= completely subjective and total speculation written as fact. Classic NSC.

I don’t really understand what you were expecting a Coach to take over from that Chris Hughton side to do? Play scintillating, attacking football and finish top 10 in his first season? Is there a Coach in world football that could do that?

The transition from that to where we are now takes a good few seasons, and a complete overhaul of the squad. To transition from a Hughton style team to an attacking, possession based team without getting relegated in the process is an achievement in itself. Look what happened when Palace got Frank de Boer in to try and change that Allardyce team’s style.

I was as pissed off as anyone with the way he left, and I don’t want him back. But it’s embarrassing to retrospectively claim he did a crap job. Although I’ve noticed some people have even started to do that with RDZ, so it’s not surprising.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The last paragraph is pretty much where I am with this. Irrespective of injuries I still believe Roberto did pretty well all things considered. Yes, he made mistakes but my word he still had us playing some good stuff even to playing united off the park for 60 mins with a patched up team. We could very well have pushed again next season for Europe with a fully fit squad and just 2 decent additions with Roberto in charge. We may still do that with the new guy in but I have this feeling that we may have made a huge error in parting ways with RDZ.
In truth, I’m a bit love hate with Roberto right now… but he’ll be viewed more fondly than Potter - for all the right reasons.

I keep veering from one side to another, but with a competitive (and the right) squad I think we would have seen full on RDZ ball again…

I’m not sure RDZ was being entirely unrealistic, after all we’re not Barca or Wednesday… he was asking to stretch things, take risks… hardly a surprise given his tactical disposition and personality.

We’ve opted to play safe, which coincidentally might mean we need to concentrate on staying safe before all other ambition… depending of course, on the appointment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
‘Lockdown saved him’= completely subjective and total speculation written as fact. Classic NSC.

I don’t really understand what you were expecting a Coach to take over from that Chris Hughton side to do? Play scintillating, attacking football and finish top 10 in his first season? Is there a Coach in world football that could do that?

The transition from that to where we are now takes a good few seasons, and a complete overhaul of the squad. To transition from a Hughton style team to an attacking, possession based team without getting relegated in the process is an achievement in itself. Look what happened when Palace got Frank de Boer in to try and change that Allardyce team’s style.

I was as pissed off as anyone with the way he left, and I don’t want him back. But it’s embarrassing to retrospectively claim he did a crap job. Although I’ve noticed some people have even started to do that with RDZ, so it’s not surprising.
Yes, I was expecting a lot more from him. Not suddenly turning into a cross between Brazil and Man City, but certainly more than not winning a single game between 28 December and 7 March, games that included drawing to an awful Watford side and losing to Palace. He'd had a whole pre-season plus half a PL season at that point and we'd bought Trossard and Webster for 18 and 20 mill. got in Maupay and added Lamptey (who was actually still quick) in January.

Why? Because that's why the club said that they'd removed CH and brought in GP. To go up to the next level. Dan Ashworth was quoted as saying Potter was the best young coach in the country.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, I was expecting a lot more from him. Not suddenly turning into a cross between Brazil and Man City, but certainly more than not winning a single game between 28 December and 7 March, games that included drawing to an awful Watford side and losing to Palace. He'd had a whole pre-season plus half a PL season at that point and we'd bought Trossard and Webster for 18 and 20 mill. got in Maupay and added Lamptey (who was actually still quick) in January.

Why? Because that's why the club said that they'd removed CH and brought in GP. To go up to the next level. Dan Ashworth was quoted as saying Potter was the best young coach in the country.
OR It was a 9 game winless run - where we drew 6 and lost 3. Including decent points v Chelsea, and away at Wolves and West Ham.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's been a lot of talk about form during a season here but it is normal for clubs in mid-table to have miserable patches and purple patches. The key thing is to have a manager who doesn't panic and can lift the team, and have individual players who can win a match for you. We had that under Potter, I believe we had that under Roberto too.

I expect there will have been similar discussions on the West Ham message boards. Their Prem season had 2 peaks and 2 troughs (10 points from 12, then 4/21, 22/33, 16/54 - it was either Champions League form or borderline relegation form.

I suppose the big risk with McKenna is if he can lift the players and change tactics during the dark periods. We know Potter did this for us, and he even did it at Chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here