Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Man Utd players and fans won't know who McKenna is? Despite him spending 5 years there as a coach, the last 3 of which he was assistant manager?

But they weren't exactly in awe of him.

20240524_092141.jpg

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
In a weird way if you want McKenna then you really ought to be cheering Man U on in cup final.

Will be much harder for them to bin off ETH if he's just won the cup.
On 21 May 2016, Van Gaal won his only trophy with Manchester United, the FA Cup, when his side defeated Crystal Palace 2–1 after extra time; Jesse Lingard's winning goal made United match Arsenal's then-record of 12 FA Cups.[105] Two days later, Van Gaal and the Dutch members of his staff were sacked by the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can someone explain Russell Martin to me? As far as I know, his teams knock the ball about nicely and finish mid-table in the lower leagues. He's also failed to win automatic promotion from the Championship despite being in charge of one of the newly-relegated clubs, with all their advantages. Other than being born in Brighton, I'm puzzled as to why he even gets a mention. What am I missing?
It’s possible that things that go on behind the scenes are the things that clubs and owners take notice of, that fans know nothing about. 87 points in a very competitive Championship season is not to be sniffed at.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
So, McKenna is waiting on United to make a decision on Ten Hag, if that doesn’t transpire, then possibly Chelsea, however if he doesn’t fancy that he’ll come to us until the United job is offered to him. Feck off, I want a manager willing to walk over hot coals to manage my club, a manager who’s heart is in the job and with the club, fanciful, naive, yeah, probably, but that’s what I want, so there….
Rosenior then

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Time for McKenna to stop p*ssing about and make up his mind. He has four clear cut options although I fear the bridges with Ipswich are already burnt. Just pick one you git and get on with it.
The lack of patience from some people is f***ing astonishing. Our manager hasn't even been gone a week yet! If you were about to move on in your career, relocating and uprooting your whole family for possibly the biggest job you will ever have, and you had a number of options to choose from, are you seriously suggesting you would make that decision in a couple of days!? Just think about it for a minute, he probably hasn't even spoken to all the parties yet. He might not have even spoken to any!

Football fans are so bloody weird sometimes. So detached from reality. I find their lack of ability to separate their view from being a fan of their club from the viewpoint of somebody who's actual career, family life and livelihood is at stake completely bizarre. Someone should write an academic paper on it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Rosenior then
I'd have Nathan Jones over Roesnior tactically. A lot more experience too.

But luckily it won't be either of those 2. This job is way above their experience levels and unless we are all desperate for dogged defence Hughton ball, it won't be Rosenior.

The lack of patience from some people is f***ing astonishing. Our manager hasn't even been gone a week yet! If you were about to move on in your career, relocating and uprooting your whole family for possibly the biggest job you will ever have, and you had a number of options to choose from, are you seriously suggesting you would make that decision in a couple of days!? Just think about it for a minute, he probably hasn't even spoken to all the parties yet. He might not have even spoken to any!

Football fans are so bloody weird sometimes. So detached from reality. I find their lack of ability to separate their view from being a fan of their club from the viewpoint of somebody who's actual career, family life and livelihood is at stake completely bizarre. Someone should write an academic paper on it.
Not good enough mate! Should of been announced after Roberto's leaving speech!🙈🙈

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think he’s ours, nothing more than a hunch and hope.
I agree.

Clubs like Chelsea and Manure like to leak their options to assess the reaction from fans. Both sets have seemingly turned their noses up at McKenna because he has not won big trophies or managed big players.

If I was in charge at either of those two shit shows, I’d be planning on grabbing McKenna once he has proved himself in the Premier League with a smaller club such as Brighton. I’d be inclined to tell him that too.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Time for McKenna to stop p*ssing about and make up his mind. He has four clear cut options although I fear the bridges with Ipswich are already burnt. Just pick one you git and get on with it.
Why would he rush it? He has a secure job at Ipswich, he's in demand. Whatever happens, he's got a good shout at a top job somewhere, either now or in the short term future. If I were him, I'd want to make damned certain that my next choice were the right one.

Chelsea and United are mega-money cess pits, but promise they'll change for him. Brighton is a smaller step forward and a good move, but not the profile he may be looking for.

I expect he'll take his time, weigh up his options, look at the pros and cons, and then decide 6 months at Chelsea and a £48m payoff probably won't do much long term damage to his brand as a PL manager.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well, for what it’s worth, I thought Welbz had his best season for us last year. Gross was POTS….ok, he tired towards the end, but he played virtually every match. Did you see Veltman at Newcastle and against Villa? And Moder is actually on the up (nice little cameo at RB v United).
Dunk is clearly past his peak - but it’s a high peak, so not too worried. Likewise Milner. And we’ve known about Lamptey for a couple of years (post his injury).
You must love holidaying in Egypt - as you’re in the Nile 😂

Veltman hardly played, he’s in decline and being managed as such. Gross can’t walk on water forever, and decline is inevitable - if he’s even here next season (gulp) welbeck - see Velts… Moder, who I love btw… he’s got some way to go to recover his pre injury form, the rb cameo ? In a defeat to a god awful utd ?? Okay… Lamptey point taken, but to underestimate the decline of Dunk as a mere he’s past his best… hmmmm he’s the cornerstone of our PL years, one doesnot simply replace/phase him with Igor for example GULP.

We’re light in midfield, light at genuine fullback, potentially light at CB … in short we need a decent summer of recruitment and a superb head coach. Are you confident we can do just that ?

I’m not feeling it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Veltman hardly played, he’s in decline and being managed as such. Gross can’t walk on water forever, and decline is inevitable - if he’s even here next season (gulp) welbeck - see Velts… Moder, who I love btw… he’s got some way to go to recover his pre injury form, the rb cameo ? In a defeat to a god awful utd ?? Okay… Lamptey point taken, but to underestimate the decline of Dunk as a mere he’s past his best… hmmmm he’s the cornerstone of our PL years, one doesnot simply replace/phase him with Igor for example GULP.

We’re light in midfield, light at genuine fullback, potentially light at CB … in short we need a decent summer of recruitment and a superb head coach. Are you confident we can do just that ?

I’m not feeling it.
Oh, ok, when you put it like that......

walk-into-the-ocean-shutterstock.gif

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You are of course spot on. Weird and proud of it :)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

They probably have. It is symptomatic of the instant gratification that is embedded in the sport; everyone wants instant decisions and actions that work. The sugar rush lasts a few minutes then 'its oh shit, that didn't work better try something else'.

Emotion quickly becomes the master of the rational; that is why TB is the best football club owner in the world, a leading poker player, and very rich. He doesn't let emotion intervene with decisions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I’m not feeling it.
All true, and exactly why Potter would be a massive retrograde step. He only really turned results around with five great midfielders (Bissouma, Caicedo, Mwepu, Mac Allister, Gross) and Trossard playing off them. He did, admittedly, start the next season very well without two of them but he still had three. Now four of those have gone and Gross might also be off. In the last season we've played Milner, Gross. Moder, Veltman, Hinshlewood and Lamptey at right back. The first four added together wouldn't make a quick player. I'm a bit happier with Barco / Estupinian to choose from on the left but they'll need Mitoma in front of them.

Potter returning to a mixed reception from a divided fanbase to a squad that's worse than the one he left is a huge risk IMO. Even if we do get McKenna we still need to shore up in exactly the same areas.

Sadly, we're a much a harder sell to a new coach than when RDZ rocked up.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I’m not feeling it.
Hey - I wasn’t saying we didn’t have some serious gaps that need filling. But I contest your negative views of the likes of Gross, Welbeck and Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here