Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Potter is clear favourite now with the bookmakers.

I've revisited the stats on his season with Chelsea and that 4-1 drubbing he took at The Amex stands out like a sore thumb. Prior to that he'd won his first 4, unbeaten in 6, but after that just 2 wins in 12. He was also very unlucky to draw Man City in the 3rd round of both domestic cups.

Indeed, it was a miracle he reached the Q/F of the Champions League but never had the opportunity to take on Real Madrid as they pulled the plug on him a week before the 1st leg.

Chelsea made 22 new signings and spent £574million in 2022/23. I get Chelsea had previously been under a transfer embargo but even so - what chance did he have?

The fact it took Poch 2/3rds of a season for his team to gel puts Potter's tenure into perspective, especially given a lot of those players were in their second season so more settled AND Poch had Cole Palmer.

Therefore, I can see why his stock is still high and so if you look at it objectively then he and McKenna are streets ahead of all the other candidates.

Bottom line - if he and Bloom can get over the past and communicate that to the fans then we might have one hell of a motivated manager. Right now what I want is a McKenna that wants to be at the Albion, not a half-arsed McKenna who'd rather be at Man Utd or Chelsea, but I'd be easily converted if Bloom and Potter were properly up for joining forces again.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
If and if gp came back , what would stop him doing the turn on us again if he did a good job and say utd/West Ham or spurs came sniffing, once bitten twice shy

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s time for me to go in for McKenna.

IMG_4786.jpeg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If and if gp came back , what would stop him doing the turn on us again if he did a good job and say utd/West Ham or spurs came sniffing, once bitten twice shy
If the big clubs came sniffing again then that would be because he had done a good job with us and - right now as we stand at a crossroads - the important thing is to bring a manager in who will put us back in the Top 10 again.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I see Potter is clear favourite now with the bookmakers.

I've revisited the stats on his season with Chelsea and that 4-1 drubbing he took at The Amex stands out like a sore thumb. Prior to that he'd won his first 4, unbeaten in 6, but after that just 2 wins in 12. He was also very unlucky to draw Man City in the 3rd round of both domestic cups.

Indeed, it was a miracle he reached the Q/F of the Champions League but never had the opportunity to take on Real Madrid as they pulled the plug on him a week before the 1st leg.

Chelsea made 22 new signings and spent £574million in 2022/23. I get Chelsea had previously been under a transfer embargo but even so - what chance did he have?

The fact it took Poch 2/3rds of a season for his team to gel puts Potter's tenure into perspective, especially given a lot of those players were in their second season so more settled AND Poch had Cole Palmer.

Therefore, I can see why his stock is still high and so if you look at it objectively then he and McKenna are streets ahead of all the other candidates.

Bottom line - if he and Bloom can get over the past and communicate that to the fans then we might have one hell of a motivated manager. Right now what I want is a McKenna that wants to be at the Albion, not a half-arsed McKenna who'd rather be at Man Utd or Chelsea, but I'd be easily converted if Bloom and Potter were properly up for joining forces again.
This is of course the right answer, but Tony will also factor in that Potter is damaged goods round these parts, and it'd take him ages to win fans back, if that ever happens. I think it's extraordinary the extent to which Potter's tenure has been rewritten (or parts of it emphasised to the exclusion of others), but despite how highly I rated his time here, I don't think going back will be good for either parties, and really don't expect it to happen.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don’t care whether he’s a good fit or not, it feels very wrong to be even involved in this to me and if we end up taking McKenna off Ipswich so soon after their huge moment of glory we’ll just be yet another Billy Big Bollocks Premier League club

I’d have been livid if (e.g.) West Ham had taken Hughton off us in summer 2017, and this would be no different.

ea employee GIF
Okay, but if you think back to losing 2-0 at the Amex ten years ago...

Mick McCarthy's grinning face and Johnny Williams giving it large to the home fans in a futile attempt to rid himself of the 'subbed off crying at half time' trauma of St Patrick's Day. They'd mugged off the ref all game with a deliberate tactic of fouling us every time we crossed the halfway line, so that their army of giant defenders could head away set pieces. He hardly issued a yellow card, as they obviously took it in turns.

... then you might think 'F**k Ipswich. Were the roles reversed, they'd definitely do it to us.'

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
If the big clubs came sniffing again then that would be because he had done a good job with us and - right now as we stand at a crossroads - the important thing is to bring a manager in who will put us back in the Top 10 again.
That’s the question if he got us into the top 6 , what stops him takeing everyone with him and leaving AGAIN can’t trust him

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Worth betting on anyone other than GP given the current odds.
GP isn't happening. Imagine how toxic it will get if he starts poorly. Many, many fans won't forgive him. Absolute non starter. B and B aren't stupid.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Worth betting on anyone other than GP given the current odds.
GP isn't happening. Imagine how toxic it will get if he starts poorly. Many, many fans won't forgive him. Absolute non starter. B and B aren't stupid.
Air b'nb, keep up!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Loved De Zerbi wish Bloom wasn't so f***ing stubborn to be honest, hate Potter and don't like McKenna. We need another Roberto!
I loved De Zerbi too, but youre pinning the stubborness on the wrong fella.

Bloom actually pandered to RDZ, let him buy Igor whose no better than a squad player, Dahoud who was shit, and spent 7m and 100+k P/W on Fati because RDZ insisted, a massively expensive flop.

RDZ demanded more of the same (to spunk the clubs money on whom he wants), Bloom said Nah, youre alright, we've tried that now....... Would love you stay, but will stick to whats worked before if thats OK.

RDZ said no thanks I'm off, but its Bloom that Stubborn?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It is not stubborn to stick with a sustainable model that has been proven to work wonders. It’s sensible, rational decision-making, and the opposite of people like Todd Boehly. Long may it continue.
there is a point to the statement about stubbornness.

the club knew that RDZ was outspoken before they hired him. they can’t then get the hump when he makes statements in public when he has a track record at previous clubs for doing so

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is of course the right answer, but Tony will also factor in that Potter is damaged goods round these parts, and it'd take him ages to win fans back, if that ever happens. I think it's extraordinary the extent to which Potter's tenure has been rewritten (or parts of it emphasised to the exclusion of others), but despite how highly I rated his time here, I don't think going back will be good for either parties, and really don't expect it to happen.
Will it really take ages to win the fans back? We had all this with Glen Murray, he scored 3 goals in his first 2 matches back at The Amex and his dalliance with Palace was forgiven. Let's remember here, it was his goals that took them up and they've not been relegated since, so a big deal.

I can see why Bloom would re-hire Potter - he is an excellent manager, and I can see why Potter would rejoin us - we are a great club with some cracking youngsters, Tony is not Todd Boehly, PBOBE is committed until 2030 and the best in class, he is settled in Sussex, is well rested and has a point to prove.

Apart from anything else, it would be great theatre and an intriguing prospect. I would not be surprised if the band got back together.

That said, I'd still prefer McKenna.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here