Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You'd be off your rocker to leave the club you won promotion with for any job especially Chelsea unless your sole motivation was money,I don't know anything at all about this bloke but if he leaves Ipswich for us I wouldn't get too attached to him.
I'd be well miffed if I were a tractor boy and as a football fan I'd like to see him have at least one season in the EPL managing the club he's dragged out of the gutter to where they'll be next season. My dislike of Chelsea continues to grow and I can't believe I'm saying this but they've managed to overtake Palace in my small book of clubs I care not for.
I disagree. There is very little loyalty in football- if they find out their squad is way too thin for Premier League football, and they either don't land the targets they want in the Summer, or the Board decides not to massively invest then they could very well find themselves adrift at the bottom at Christmas. In which case there is every chance it will be "Thanks for the promotions but we're going to go with someone who can find a way of keeping us up".

I think it's a very sensible time to leave that job, as it is highly likely it's only going to go downhill from here. He will burn some serious bridges in doing it though.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I disagree. There is very little loyalty in football- if they find out their squad is way too thin for Premier League football, and they either don't land the targets they want in the Summer, or the Board decides not to massively invest then they could very well find themselves adrift at the bottom at Christmas. In which case there is every chance it will be "Thanks for the promotions but we're going to go with someone who can find a way of keeping us up".

I think it's a very sensible time to leave that job, as it is highly likely it's only going to go downhill from here. He will burn some serious bridges in doing it though.
This.

My job is that I turn up at the training ground and try to coach whats in front of me and turn those tools at my disposal into a winning team. To do that I will live, eat breath football.

That's my job.

Do I want to get 2m a year for my family or closer to 10m a year for My family.

If I sign contact where I am I can get 8m for 4 years of my time in work, or I can get 40m and be at a higher competitive level.

Fans see it differently and through fans lens. Professional football employees will most likely view it in the way we would if another company offered us Many X more salary for the same job.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Brilliant play by the club - let it be leaked out that we're interested in McKenna and then watch lazy Chelsea, Winstanley et al swoop to gazumump us because we're Brighton and we know what we're doing and they don't and so they end up recruiting a completely untested PL novice with no experience of managing massive highly paid and long contracted ego's in a team that, if we're to believe what we're told, individually and collectively in the end loved Poch and who will, individually and collectively make a PL novice's first few weeks and months in the job challenging, particularly if they don't get off to a winning start. He'll be gone and rich by Christmas.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You'd be off your rocker to leave the club you won promotion with for any job especially Chelsea unless your sole motivation was money,I don't know anything at all about this bloke but if he leaves Ipswich for us I wouldn't get too attached to him.
I'd be well miffed if I were a tractor boy and as a football fan I'd like to see him have at least one season in the EPL managing the club he's dragged out of the gutter to where they'll be next season. My dislike of Chelsea continues to grow and I can't believe I'm saying this but they've managed to overtake Palace in my small book of clubs I care not for.
Last season's promoted teams disappeared with the lowest combined points total in the Prem era.
That included a Burnley team that romped the championship in the previous season. They finished 8 pts and a GD of -19 from 17th place ( who had received a 4 pt PSR penalty).

The gap between Championship and Premier League is vast and increasing.
Kompany and Edwards are considered bright young managers, but they were unable to mount any kind of attempt to stay up.

The team he is bringing up has had a higher trajectory than Luton's - they were a League 1 team 2 seasons ago.
They spent £4m on transfer fees last season and relied on a lot of loans.
It is highly likely he will need to develop a brand new squad to have any chance of competing next season.

MC Kenna's stock, may never be this high again.
He would not be off his rocker to leave.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I imagine McKenna would last about 6 months at Chelsea before being the latest in a long line of promising managers receiving a big old pay off on their way out of the door

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Agreed. I think there are a lot of parallels with Glen Hoddle. He guided Swindon to the PL - and then promptly left and joined Chelsea. Swindon was his first managerial job and he knew a relegation struggle would tarnish his growing reputation, and in all probability he would be sacked during it anyway to be replaced with someone more 'experienced'. It proved to be a good move as he was relatively successful at Chelsea. (This was obviously pre-Abramovich where they hadn't won anything for yonks and any half-decent season was considered 'good'). So successful in fact that his next job was managing England.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If he goes to Chelsea will be interesting to see what sort of contract he gets. Obvs they got their fingers burned with Potter (6 years), so only gave Poch a short-term deal (2 years). I would imagine the discussions at the moment could be around a 3 year deal. If we are REALLY interested I would expect us to offer 4 years. But no doubt Chelsea would offer loads more dosh.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I still have a hunch McKenna is a bit of a smoke screen and we are quietly approaching the real targets behind the scenes.
Fingers crossed but I think they have genuinely gazumped us this time. 😔

The club will have to revert to it’s 3rd or 4th choice (assuming Kompany was up there with McKenna).

A bit annoying as I suspect they thought they had McKenna or Kompany in the bag when the De Zerbi situation was finalised!

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Fingers crossed but I think they have genuinely gazumped us this time. 😔

The club will have to revert to it’s 3rd or 4th choice (assuming Kompany was up there with McKenna).

A bit annoying as I suspect they thought they had McKenna or Kompany in the bag when the De Zerbi situation was finalised!

If Farioli was third choice, we'd now be onto 4th / 5th. Also, got to imagine we liked Fonseca, who's off to AC Milan too. Does seem an awful time to be looking.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If he goes to Chelsea will be interesting to see what sort of contract he gets. Obvs they got their fingers burned with Potter (6 years), so only gave Poch a short-term deal (2 years). I would imagine the discussions at the moment could be around a 3 year deal. If we are REALLY interested I would expect us to offer 4 years. But no doubt Chelsea would offer loads more dosh.
The other point is that Chelsea are right on the edge with PSR and FFP. I know, I know, they'll just sell a hotel to themselves. Well maybe this will be effective or maybe it won't.

So somewhere in their consciousness they've got to be thinking, that they can't afford just to carry on the way they have been. McKenna might be of interest to them because he's cheap, relatively speaking. Maybe they think they can bully Ipswich in the way they bullied us, that they can get McKenna to agree to a disadvantageous contract (in terms of sacking compensation) in the way they couldn't if they appointed Mourinho or Tuchel

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Well I haven't looked at the shed end and really don't want to delve into that toxic cess pit, but the Ipswich forum are saying the Chelsea fans are really unhappy at prospect of McKenna.

Potter 2?

One of my best mates is a Chelsea STH and he messaged this morning to say ‘I’ve never been more underwhelmed by a potential appointment’. Hiding to nothing if he goes there. But I suspect the quality of the squad (and the money) will persuade him to do it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Does seem an awful time to be looking.
Or a great time as there are lots of available managers on the move.

They just aren't moving to us.

Part of me thinks that this is like a game of musical chairs where the music has stopped at just the wrong time. The more sensible part is thinking it's very early days. There's a tournament this summer, more managers will come available. And the only evidence that we were ever in for any of the linked manager's anyway is twitter rumour

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The other point is that Chelsea are right on the edge with PSR and FFP. I know, I know, they'll just sell a hotel to themselves. Well maybe this will be effective or maybe it won't.

So somewhere in their consciousness they've got to be thinking, that they can't afford just to carry on the way they have been. McKenna might be of interest to them because he's cheap, relatively speaking. Maybe they think they can bully Ipswich in the way they bullied us, that they can get McKenna to agree to a disadvantageous contract (in terms of sacking compensation) in the way they couldn't if they appointed Mourinho or Tuchel
They actually just sold the training ground to themselves to not breach FFP.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If Farioli was third choice, we'd now be onto 4th / 5th. Also, got to imagine we liked Fonseca, who's off to AC Milan too. Does seem an awful time to be looking.
Ajax isnt done yet (looks at Alex Pritchard file).

The probem though is self evident. If we thought we could get McKenna and put our eggs in this basket, Fatboy Boehly has yet again got word, turned up in his Dick Turpin outfit with sacks more cash, and the longer we dither, the other decent options disappear (if that is cubs direction, which of course it may never have been!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here