Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I thought Russell Martin and the Albion had a bit of a dispute over his academy or something? So seems unlikely.
I don’t want Martin.

The bit that concerns me is that I could very much see TB doing a deal that would hire him as manager as long as we can absorb his academy’s d foundation into ours.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I don’t want Martin.

The bit that concerns me is that I could very much see TB doing a deal that would hire him as manager as long as we can absorb his academy’s d foundation into ours.
I don’t want Martin either. Fancy, art project, possession football with little end product.
Unfortunately I’ve got a sinking feeling that it’s him who we are going to end up with.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
You'd be off your rocker to leave the club you won promotion with for any job especially Chelsea unless your sole motivation was money,I don't know anything at all about this bloke but if he leaves Ipswich for us I wouldn't get too attached to him.
I'd be well miffed if I were a tractor boy and as a football fan I'd like to see him have at least one season in the EPL managing the club he's dragged out of the gutter to where they'll be next season. My dislike of Chelsea continues to grow and I can't believe I'm saying this but they've managed to overtake Palace in my small book of clubs I care not for.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Imagine you're McKenna and you've two job offers in the hat.
Chelsea. The owner has offered you a 5 year deal worth £x millions a year. You're set up for life financially. Promised the best players in the world but you don't get to choose them. One loss and the fans are on your back, two losses and the press say you're a gonna, win the Europa League and you're sacked with a payout that will keep you financially set up for life.
Brighton. The owner has offered you a 4 year deal around 25% of Chelsea. The fans will love you as long as the football is pretty. 10 losses and the fans still love you if the football is pretty. Man City come for you in two years time because your football is pretty and you're set up financially for life.
In an ideal world yes. However we all know how the real world works.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You'd be off your rocker to leave the club you won promotion with for any job especially Chelsea unless your sole motivation was money,I don't know anything at all about this bloke but if he leaves Ipswich for us I wouldn't get too attached to him.
I'd be well miffed if I were a tractor boy and as a football fan I'd like to see him have at least one season in the EPL managing the club he's dragged out of the gutter to where they'll be next season. My dislike of Chelsea continues to grow and I can't believe I'm saying this but they've managed to overtake Palace in my small book of clubs I care not for.
Obvs Chelsea is the most popular destination for our ex players, but also our recruitment set up.

It's self evident, Boehly covets and envies our set up and wants it for himself.

But as our club has said, he may take the hose pipe, but he doesn't have access to the water (our data models).

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that as soon as its everywhere we're pushing for McKenna, in comes Boehly with more money.

It happened with Fofanna and it will continue to happen.

Boehlys policy is to copy Brighton minus It's data. He's nothing more than a fat American magpie, watching, waiting for any hint of what or who our data identifies before trying to hijack for himself with more money.

I honestly expect Boehly will hijack many more targets, to use our data, where possible and to muscle in with more dosh.

Many of the most successful businesses are not inventive themselves and are nothing more than plagiarise or copy what works, Boehly is that man.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don’t want Martin either. Fancy, art project, possession football with little end product.
Unfortunately I’ve got a sinking feeling that it’s him who we are going to end up with.
87 goals last season. I've seen a few of their matches on TV, and was quite impressed, tbh. But at this stage I'd prefer McKenna!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I still have a hunch McKenna is a bit of a smoke screen and we are quietly approaching the real targets behind the scenes.
Or...We dropped a bollock and didn’t anticipate Chelsea sacking Poch?

I’m not sure KM would be right for us anyway, so not that bothered, but we’ll probably end up with option C or D now.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I still have a hunch McKenna is a bit of a smoke screen and we are quietly approaching the real targets behind the scenes.

I hope so! McKenna to Chelsea is gaining traction. It could just be his agent putting out stories in an attempt to get Man United (his dream job) to act, but either way we definitely no longer look favourites.

My worry is what happened in the Summer, where we spent an age trying get Colwill and keep Caicedo, managed neither and left ourselves little time to adequately replace them. Best just to move on to our next targets quickly, and before Chelsea try to copy us when McKenna switches preference to Man U.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
87 goals last season. I've seen a few of their matches on TV, and was quite impressed, tbh. But at this stage I'd prefer McKenna!
That’s strangely the reason why championship teams get relegated from the prem. They can score shed loads but that is down to championship teams being very poor defensively. If you have a good attacking set up then you score loads. Teams come up, can’t score anywhere near the goals of the previous season and get taken apart defensively. We stayed up because we were very good defensively …..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How so? Flavour of the month and plays good football, I’d say very much into the Chelsea machine to be chewed up and spat out in a season
At least Potter had us at the sharp end of the Premier League. This guy may have great potential but, unless he makes a brilliant start, it’ll be a race between the fans and players to want him out of the door. Might not stop them appointing him but would be a surprising choice to go straight into a European season at one of the ‘big clubs’.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well I haven't looked at the shed end and really don't want to delve into that toxic cess pit, but the Ipswich forum are saying the Chelsea fans are really unhappy at prospect of McKenna.

Potter 2?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree but I expect that Chelsea will be dropping a big agent fee to McKenna’s agent/s who will then convince his client that Chelsea’s offer is a no brainer.
In fairness to McKenna,if he did take the Chelsea job he must have significant confidence in his own abilities for someone with no Premier League experience.
You’d hope a manager bright enough to work in the Premier League would be a bit brainier than a kid like Caicedo. I imagine he’ll make his own decision. Might be the same though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here