Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He seems such an unlikely Chelsea appointment that it will be interesting to see if they're using this as a smokescreen while talking to someone else.
How so? Flavour of the month and plays good football, I’d say very much into the Chelsea machine to be chewed up and spat out in a season

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Odds are shortening quickly on McKenna to Chelsea.
Absolutely no leaks from Lancing as odds show nothing.
All I’d say is that Russell Martin is a worrying option.
It sure Martin would want to come here despite his local connections 🤔

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
How so? Flavour of the month and plays good football, I’d say very much into the Chelsea machine to be chewed up and spat out in a season
I guess because usually Chelsea look abroad for a manager and usually want one 'with a proven track record of success' a la Ancelotti, Mourinho, Tuchel etc, the exception being Lampard but he had the 'Chelsea legend' status.' Appointing one with no PL experience wouldn't be the usual Chelsea appointment.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Don’t want another stepping stone manager, I’d be happy with Iraola.
Wouldn't that mean he had used 'muff as a stepping stone?

(I like Iraola BTW, but your logic seems flawed!)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Reckon TB & PB will actually be a little bit fuming on this one if so.
Think he's the one they've been working on and have had in mind for weeks / months, with Chelsea recent moves and Poch departure unexpected.
Just a feeling, other options not being nearly so attractive right now. Not over yet.
I agree. I think they are really starting to have a negative impact on us now with all the poaching. Caicedo ruined last season, and now they’ve started stealing our targets as well. It’s such an American way of doing business - no imagination or craft just blunder in wanging your big cheque book around.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. I think they are really starting to have a negative impact on us now with all the poaching. Caicedo ruined last season, and now they’ve started stealing our targets as well. It’s such an American way of doing business - no imagination or craft just blunder in wanging your big cheque book around.

W@nkstanley hasn’t the science of StarLizard, instead he copies the moves of other clubs. Lazy.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I guess because usually Chelsea look abroad for a manager and usually want one 'with a proven track record of success' a la Ancelotti, Mourinho, Tuchel etc, the exception being Lampard but he had the 'Chelsea legend' status.' Appointing one with no PL experience wouldn't be the usual Chelsea appointment.
I’d say it’s very much new Chelsea. Under the Russian this was never an appointment they would make, but under the American muppet it ticks all the boxes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Imagine you're McKenna and you've two job offers in the hat.
Chelsea. The owner has offered you a 5 year deal worth £x millions a year. You're set up for life financially. Promised the best players in the world but you don't get to choose them. One loss and the fans are on your back, two losses and the press say you're a gonna, win the Europa League and you're sacked with a payout that will keep you financially set up for life.
Brighton. The owner has offered you a 4 year deal around 25% of Chelsea. The fans will love you as long as the football is pretty. 10 losses and the fans still love you if the football is pretty. Man City come for you in two years time because your football is pretty and you're set up financially for life.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
McKenna wouldn't last 5 minutes into a bad run of form at Chelsea. Fanbase (being an arrogant bunch of *****) is already underwhelmed by the links.
Funny thing is that they (Chelsea owners and fans) don’t really know who or what they want other than trophies to brag about. Typically American they think they can buy the success by copying or stealing from those who have grafted and have the intelligence. But they don’t know how to use and develop what they’ve got.

Awful club.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Don’t want another stepping stone manager, I’d be happy with Iraola.
Any manager who comes to us is a "stepping stone manager". The fact is, there will always be bigger clubs and they will always come for well-performing, ambitious managers. Besides, Iraola would be exactly the same. If he stepped off plucky's stone and on to our stone, what's to stop him stepping off our stone to go to a bigger club in two years? Nothing

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Chelsea. The owner has offered you a 5 year deal worth £x millions a year. You're set up for life financially. Promised the best players in the world but you don't get to choose them. One loss and the fans are on your back, two losses and the press say you're a gonna, win the Europa League and you're sacked with a payout that will keep you financially set up for life.
Brighton. The owner has offered you a 4 year deal around 25% of Chelsea. The fans will love you as long as the football is pretty. 10 losses and the fans still love you if the football is pretty. Man City come for you in two years time because your football is pretty and you're set up financially for life.
I agree but I expect that Chelsea will be dropping a big agent fee to McKenna’s agent/s who will then convince his client that Chelsea’s offer is a no brainer.
In fairness to McKenna,if he did take the Chelsea job he must have significant confidence in his own abilities for someone with no Premier League experience.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

I think Chelsea learnt their lesson with long manager contracts with Potter, as Poch was only on a two-year deal. Assume McKenna's agent will get a big payday too, so could be advising him in that direction?

At the end of the day though, Chelsea doesn't actually help McKenna's alleged long-term desire to manage Man U. He could tarnish his reputation (see Potter) and forever be associated with Chelsea. Come to us and it is a clear stepping stone to Man U.

Plus, like his situation at Ipswich, with us he'd have the support of a supportive CEO, he certainly won't at Chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here