Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Would there really be any point in signing McKenna if he's that good and will jump ship 18 months later....?
That's the nature of the beast now unfortunately, we'll probably end up in a cycle of no manager lasting more than two seasons, as a lot of clubs are. They overachieve, they get poached, they underachieve, they get sacked.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
If United are potentially in the frame this could drag on until a decision is made on Ten Hag as that will be his preferred option surely?

Straight after the Cup Final things should become clearer on that front

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I think they'll go down. The only way they could possibly stay up is if some teams, maybe Forest, Everton etc get hit with more point deductions. Because that might actually give them a chance. But even still, they're not going to be midtable. The likelihood (almost certainty) is they will be relegated or at best escape on a technicality. I don't mean to be horrible to them, or p**s on their parade but the modern premier league is decided by the vast amounts of money that everyone spends, its a distorted competition. I don't think Ipswich can compete on that financial side.

But you are right, that if they get relegated they'd be meeting expectations. But although the expectations are the same, his stock will definitely drop. Ultimately no big 6 team will appoint a manager who has just been relegated or avoided relegation based on other teams being deducted points. Their fans wouldn't stand for it. Man United fans would go ballistic if they stick with Ten Hag, have another bad season and then replace him with a manager who's team were relegated or finished 4th from bottom.

Staying at Ipswich only works for his career, if he wants to commit to Ipswich long term. But if he has bigger plans, then now is the time for him to leave (not necessarily to us), because he might never have a time when his profile is so high.
Then why would the fans accept him now? That literally makes no sense. If he finishes anywhere in the EPL he has more experience than he has now, finished higher in the league than he has now etc etc. And on top of that he didn't underperform in the EPL.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
The £5mill is probably made up of clauses and bonuses with a much lower base pay. If not, then it's one hell of a commitment from a newly promoted side.

GeorgeKane5

Jun 7, 2017
Would there really be any point in signing McKenna if he's that good and will jump ship 18 months later....?
If anything Bloom/Barber probably relish this opportunity. After all, they'd hate to stand in anyone's way etc etc.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That's the nature of the beast now unfortunately, we'll probably end up in a cycle of no manager lasting more than two seasons, as a lot of clubs are. They overachieve, they get poached, they underachieve, they get sacked.
Yes, I think you are right, but after the recent upheaval for last few months, I think a period of stability is needed, rather than a young man gagging to be at the top before gaining some more experience.

I thank you for your response which was measured..........unlike the ignorant reply on post 464. Like many others on this forum ,I don't expect any better from him of course.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He needs his bumps felt, If he goes to Chelsea, or Utd for that matter. Both an utter shambles. He wont get time at Chelsea and Utd have probably their worst squad in my living memory. Where as he will get time here, has the foundation of a good squad and the best Chairman in football.....Of course this is a totally unbias point of view.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He needs his bumps felt, If he goes to Chelsea, or Utd for that matter. Both an utter shambles. He wont get time at Chelsea and Utd have probably their worst squad in my living memory. Where as he will get time here, has the foundation of a good squad and the best Chairman in football.....Of course this is a totally unbias point of view.
This is true but we all know how it works. Team Gallardo now.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I get why their board would do this. It a momentum thing as much as it is about protecting themselves from fans dissatisfaction.

Imagine if we let Hughton go the week after we were promoted and replaced him with another manager and then subsequently go relegated. We'd have gone ballistic.

Now layer this on top for Ipswich who have been on a steeper trajectory than we were. They have been promoted from L1 and then got promoted from the champ within 2 years, all with Mckenna. If they go down with Mckenna the fans won't have too much to moan about. But if they go down with some other chump because the board didn't fight to keep Mckenna then there will be uproar!

I thinks its brand protection more than anything.
Excellent point.

However, it actually doesn’t stop McK from leaving if he wants to - he can simply refuse to sign a new contract but offering a contract covers the Club against the fans anger - no one much cares for a manager once they’ve fcuked off to a higher rung in the ladder.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Then why would the fans accept him now? That literally makes no sense. If he finishes anywhere in the EPL he has more experience than he has now, finished higher in the league than he has now etc etc. And on top of that he didn't underperform in the EPL.
I think it makes perfect sense that his stock is higher after a promotion campaign, than after a relegation or relegation battle season. Perfect example, Steve Cooper. He was linked with us, palace and various other prem clubs after getting promotion. And that interested gradually disappeared despite keeping forest up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here