Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just going back to McKenna, I freely admit I only saw two full Ipswich games last week and a handful of analysis videos of his style.

I would hate for us to get hung up on him (especially with the superior competition we face, if indeed we are interested - which is far from certain).

He’s done a truly remarkable job for Ipswich, but think back to hot item managers who have excelled/overachieved at certain clubs and failed when moving on to other clubs.

Nobody is a guaranteed fit for a club - working style, interpersonal relationships with key dressing room figures, their bosses (chairman, owner, etc) - all of this is so important to a manager or head coach working out.

Good coaches can take a step up and their methods don’t work. Players don’t buy in, they get found out at a higher level, they don’t have the right players for their style - all kinds of things are in play.

For that reason, I’m sitting back and saying whoever Tony and Barber pick I am backing. None of us saw RdZ or Potter coming, I think it’ll be left field again personally and “the only name who was ever in our minds”.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Good coaches can take a step up and their methods don’t work. Players don’t buy in, they get found out at a higher level, they don’t have the right players for their style - all kinds of things are in play.
This is actually key and something I have not really thought about, who does he bring with him as there seems to be a lot of positions to fill since RDZ and his entourage left and does Mckenna have the back room staff for this level I wonder.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
McKenna’s current deal is about £1.2million a year, and they will up it to try and keep him there. The reported £5 million a year they want to offer him is way more than RDZ was paid (reportedly £1.5m per year).

I get that Ipswich need him more than we do.

But I can't help thinking they are at risk of seriously overreaching themselves, particularly in PSR terms.

I personally think they are better off slowly building rather than going balls out the stop themselves going down

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I get that Ipswich need him more than we do.

But I can't help thinking they are at risk of seriously overreaching themselves, particularly in PSR terms.

I personally think they are better off slowly building rather than going balls out the stop themselves going down
I get why their board would do this. It a momentum thing as much as it is about protecting themselves from fans dissatisfaction.

Imagine if we let Hughton go the week after we were promoted and replaced him with another manager and then subsequently go relegated. We'd have gone ballistic.

Now layer this on top for Ipswich who have been on a steeper trajectory than we were. They have been promoted from L1 and then got promoted from the champ within 2 years, all with Mckenna. If they go down with Mckenna the fans won't have too much to moan about. But if they go down with some other chump because the board didn't fight to keep Mckenna then there will be uproar!

I thinks its brand protection more than anything.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I get why their board would do this. It a momentum thing as much as it is about protecting themselves from fans dissatisfaction.

Imagine if we let Hughton go the week after we were promoted and replaced him with another manager and then subsequently go relegated. We'd have gone ballistic.

Now layer this on top for Ipswich who have been on a steeper trajectory than we were. They have been promoted from L1 and then got promoted from the champ within 2 years, all with Mckenna. If they go down with Mckenna the fans won't have too much to moan about. But if they go down with some other chump because the board didn't fight to keep Mckenna then there will be uproar!

I thinks its brand protection more than anything.
You might be right, who knows. And i've long held the belief that managers are underpaid in comparison to players.

But their brand won't look too good if they smash through PSR and get deductions.

I reckon they are thinking in the short term a little too much.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You might be right, who knows. And i've long held the belief that managers are underpaid in comparison to players.

But their brand won't look too good if they smash through PSR and get deductions.

I reckon they are thinking in the short term a little too much.
Might help with this discourse if we knew what their current finances were like. I mean, they might have a lot of leeway to play with. They were far from big spenders in the Championship I understand.

If only we had a resident football finance expert…

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
i've long held the belief that managers are underpaid in comparison to players.
Me too.

It seems mad that players are paid so much more, when the manager/head coach is so influential.

I guess it comes down to the fact that there isn't a trading market for the managers like there is for players (or strictly speaking, for the players' registration)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well I stuck a tenner on the USG manager though I highly doubt he's even second choice, but he is German and might help keep Groß!
Is there a possible scenario where McKenna stays at Ipswich with his new contract, they stretch PSR close to breaking point and he keeps then up, but his bonus then puts them over the limit and the points deduction sends them down? Probably not but I'd laugh.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is there a possible scenario where McKenna stays at Ipswich with his new contract, they stretch PSR close to breaking point and he keeps then up, but his bonus then puts them over the limit and the points deduction sends them down? Probably not but I'd laugh.
To answer that ... just checking if Ipswich are a club that would face consequences for a PSR breach .... umm .... yep they are

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Me too.

It seems mad that players are paid so much more, when the manager/head coach is so influential.

I guess it comes down to the fact that there isn't a trading market for the managers like there is for players (or strictly speaking, for the players' registration)
I suppose the other thing is that managers get sacked ten-a-penny, so if you pay managers player-level wages, the compo would be insane. Just ask Chelsea, who I believe are still playing off Potters 12m a year(!) contract.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Might help with this discourse if we knew what their current finances were like. I mean, they might have a lot of leeway to play with. They were far from big spenders in the Championship I understand.

Found them on Twitter...Looks like they made losses of £18m last year and £12.5m the year before. FFP rules are that clubs can't lose more than £105m over past three seasons and they are on -£30m over the past two.

Also, looks like their L1 promotion wasn't exactly a shocker, with a good wage bill:
20240522_160849.jpg

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Found them on Twitter...Looks like they made losses of £18m last year and £12.5m the year before. FFP rules are that clubs can't lose more than £105m over past three seasons and they are on -£30m over the past two.

Also, looks like their L1 promotion wasn't exactly a shocker, being as they had the highest wage bill:

Great post, thank you!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Mad money, they are basically losing out on signing a top level player for that but fair enough. Can't see us almost trebling the rate we have been paying managers up to now.
They might not be expecting him to take it. But it does make a statement that they aren't going to be rolled.

Or it might be they want to tip the scales in favor of having him go to Chelsea and not us. They might be thinking they are more likely to take points of us.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Would there really be any point in signing McKenna if he's that good and will jump ship 18 months later....?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
They will be allowed a lot less than £105m over 3 years, as the Championship limit is £13m pa. The League 1 FFP system is different (wages as a proportion of revenue), so not sure how they will calculate that - but I would guess that their max 3 year losses will be limited to £61m (£35m + £13m + £13m) assuming you substitute the Championship figure in the first year. Anyway, that was Forest's limit when they came up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here