[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If that is true then I would guess that is us out. We won’t pay that for a manager, will we? It’s almost £100K a week.
Then we’ll just move to the next one on the list but it sounds like Ipswich are resigned to him leaving and have maybe offered him a new club contract but £5m Salary sounds improbable to me for a Club just out of the Championship. I think Dyche is on about 5 mil but he’s one of the highest paid managers in the League.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Speaking of Potter, he shared the stage with McKenna last night....

Have you ever been to one of those awards things? They wouldn't have said more than "Hello" and "Nice do isn't it?" unless they were sat directly next to each other at the dinner.

SAC

May 21, 2014
McKenna’s current deal is about £1.2million a year, and they will up it to try and keep him there. The reported £5 million a year they want to offer him is way more than RDZ was paid (reportedly £1.5m per year).

I'm not sure I believe the £1.5 million, I suspect that RDZ was on at least double that.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If it’s a salary of £5m a year for 4 years then that’s a huge offer.
However, I expect that includes bonuses for keeping them up and is dependent on them being in the Premier League.
I expect we may be able to get close but if we do, then we’d want a big release clause. Release clause of say £20m would still give a profit, if after two years he was poached by Man United.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Excellent. It seems he’ll be staying at Ipswich. :thumbsup:

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
If we were to go for him then, that would mean paying the £6m compensation to Ipswich and we'd have to at least match the £5m a year.

On the one hand we are cash rich right now from the big sales/Europe, probably getting £4m for RDZ, no longer have Lallana's wages and all PL clubs are getting an additional £5m because two Championship teams are returning so their parachute payments are being redistributed. But the board don't like spending, we'd normally pay much less and then offer an improved contract (still less than £5m) once everything was running well.

Quite a risk for Ipswich though. Yes, more likely to keep him, but eats into the FFP and nightmare to have a £5m a year manager if they return to the Championship next season (and he's not wanted elsewhere).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is we have budgets, fairly strict ones I imagine. There will be a playing budget, coaching budget etc and I don’t know, but I can’t see us tearing it up and adding a zero so to speak. Just not how we operate

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
If it’s a salary of £5m a year for 4 years then that’s a huge offer.
However, I expect that includes bonuses for keeping them up and is dependent on them being in the Premier League.
I expect we may be able to get close but if we do, then we’d want a big release clause. Release clause of say £20m would still give a profit, if after two years he was poached by Man United.
agree.

it might as well read:
1.2m basic salary (per year)
5m PL survival bonus (each year)
10m FA cup win bonus (each year)
20m white xmas bonus (each year)
3m going unbeaten all season (each year)

Total package 156.8 million.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm not sure I believe the £1.5 million, I suspect that RDZ was on at least double that.
He may have been offered double that in January but he didn't sign the new deal as we all know, so the original terms are the only terms. Very likely, looking at our wage structure and Potter's reported wage when he jumped ship, that £1.5m a year was a very likely figure.

He may have been offered double that in January but he didn't sign the new deal as we all know, so the original terms are the only terms. Very likely, looking at our wage structure and Potter's reported wage when he jumped ship, that £1.5m a year was a very likely figures.
We're not good payers in the Premier league and although some figures are probably way off the mark, the estimates in Premier managers salaries are around the 1.5 million mark.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Sun story is https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2806...ew-ipswich-contract-man-utd-chelsea-brighton/
the contract - even if the reporting and the figures are correct - presumably includes some substantial bonuses etc.
and i guess this means our interest is concrete. There's also an assumption on this thread about what Di Zerbi was paid (presumably from the figure quoted on Transfermarkt - is that correct then ? ) . The Sun also say "might not be enough"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports