Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
McKenna is already mates with barber.

I don't see Chelsea going for him. I would be absolutely shocked if they appointed him. They need someone to handle the egos first and foremost, tactics are secondary when you have that much talent.
And remember they have players who argue over taking a penalty even with a strong experienced manager.

What are they going to be like when they've got a bloke they've never heard of?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Aspinall made a good point that McKenna won’t have made the money the top managers and former players have banked. So Albion’s salary would be very attractive. Chelsea’s even more so, no doubt.

He’d be nuts to go there really. A club that wants to develop young talent long term but also demands that those kids qualify for the Champions League. We’re a much better fit, which usually counts for very little, sadly.
And what's a league 1 managers contract? £150k? a year? Has it been renewed since they got to the Champ?

I reckon we would offer 10 times that. Chelsea maybe 3 or 4 times what we would offer.

So all the talk of him looking after his longer term just counts for nothing. If he gets offered the Chelsea job, he won't even stop to consider what will happen in 2 years time. He'll just take the money and worry about the future at some other stage

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So what's worse for a manager's reputation? Relegation? Or being sacked?

I'd say the chance of being relegated with Chelsea is vanishingly small (and you'd probably be sacked long before getting to that), but the chance of being sacked is quite high. Since the fans are impatient and the owner is a madman. And even a successful run will get you sacked (see: Poch)

With Ipswich, on the other hand, the chance of being relegated is high, almost close to a certainly as some would have it. But the chance of being sacked is probably quite low (although that could change if they are still to put a point on the board after, say, 10 games)

I'd like to think we could offer a low(er) chance of relegation compared to Ipswich, but with a much lower chance of sacking compared to Chelsea. That ought to be attractive.

The only wrinkle, and I think this might hurt us more than we think, is that we've been in relegation form pretty much since the turn of the year. That's a problem. We can make excuses, it's injuries, Roberto gave up, etc all we want, but if you were a manager considering the job, you'd be mad if that didn't at least give you pause.

Imagine signing for us, getting us relegated and then getting the sack! Ouch!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I'd say the chance of being relegated with Chelsea is vanishingly small (and you'd probably be sacked long before getting to that), but the chance of being sacked is quite high. Since the fans are impatient and the owner is a madman. And even a successful run will get you sacked (see: Poch)

With Ipswich, on the other hand, the chance of being relegated is high, almost close to a certainly as some would have it. But the chance of being sacked is probably quite low (although that could change if they are still to put a point on the board after, say, 10 games)

I'd like to think we could offer a low(er) chance of relegation compared to Ipswich, but with a much lower chance of sacking compared to Chelsea. That ought to be attractive.

The only wrinkle, and I think this might hurt us more than we think, is that we've been in relegation form pretty much since the turn of the year. That's a problem. We can make excuses, it's injuries, Roberto gave up, etc all we want, but if you were a manager considering the job, you'd be mad if that didn't at least give you pause.

Relegation normally, which before or after it happens may result in sack anyway.

Getting sacked by Watford wouldn't affect you in slightest!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

And if you get sacked you get your contract paid off.

And the very act of having had a top 6 role opens doors. So Potter's next job is likely to be role above us, maybe the England job. Even a bad experience is experience for the CV

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Chelsea don't have many options by the looks of it...

That entire list is madness. They'd all be mental, all already on to good things. I've said it before. The only thing that job offers is money. As Poch has proven by getting them to play to some extent towards the end of the season, it is not enough for Chelsea. You must hit the ground running or you get given the sack.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
In amongst all the issues noted above, there's also the possibility (probability) that Chelsea will get some sort of points deduction next season (interestingly, you can get 20/1 on Chelsea being relegated...Arsenal are 2000/1). Plus, they will have European football - which could be a positive, but for a manager with little or no experience of Europe, it would be a helluva challenge (see Potter).

McKenna would be crazy to go to Chelsea.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Seen that Maresca is highest on Chelsea wish list. ( speculated)
He went into a meltdown re Leicester’s situation. Not sure how he’d do with the Chelsea Barmy army.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
And the very act of having had a top 6 role opens doors. So Potter's next job is likely to be role above us, maybe the England job. Even a bad experience is experience for the CV

Speaking of Potter, he shared the stage with McKenna last night....

Wow. Would be upset if i was an Ipswich fan, there's a million miles between that answer and 'im staying'.

'There's always speculation, but I'm not focused on that tonight'
'Tonight is about celebrating what we did last season and the last two years'
'I know the club is in a good place going into next season'
That's certainly not what Ipswich fans want to hear is it!! No, I'm happy with Ipswich and want to stay here or the like. He could have a nice settled job with us or if he wants to get rich quick it'll be Chelsea/United.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
McKenna’s current deal is about £1.2million a year, and they will up it to try and keep him there. The reported £5 million a year they want to offer him is way more than RDZ was paid (reportedly £1.5m per year).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
McKenna’s current deal is about £1.2million a year, and they will up it to try and keep him there. The reported £5 million a year they want to offer him is way more than RDZ was paid (reportedly £1.5m per year).

If that is true then I would guess that is us out. We won’t pay that for a manager, will we? It’s almost £100K a week.

That, if true doubles what we normally pay managers! If true, then fair play to Ipswich in going all out to keep their man.

SAC

May 21, 2014
That entire list is madness. They'd all be mental, all already on to good things. I've said it before. The only thing that job offers is money. As Poch has proven by getting them to play to some extent towards the end of the season, it is not enough for Chelsea. You must hit the ground running or you get given the sack.
They have already sacked their two best managers (Poch and Tuchel) of recent years. I'm sure they will get another one but again wont give him long enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here