[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Its all a load of laughable bollox isnt it. "My clubs bigger than your club", "why would he go to a smaller club"!

If your looking at the size of stadiums, the catchments areas I'd say we're very similar sized.

If youre looking at historical success, then thanks to Bobby Robson, theyre bigger.

If youre looking at turnover and profitability we're bigger.

If youre a foreign player from the arse end of nowhere looking at offers from both clubs, I reckon most would consider us bigger right now.

None of it matters one jot.

McKenna will be thinking of himself, his career and I'd guess his ultimate aim of one managing Man U? I doubt this billy bog bollox stuff will feature at all.

To take a squad from L1 to PL is a great achievement, to keep them in PL will be a monumental achievement though also a very difficult challenge, as Burnley have proven.

Does he want a 50/50 chance or maybe worse of relegation (no disrepect to Ipswich, but thats reality of the gulf), or the chance to get into a PL club with a better squad thats more likely to give him a few years PL experience and a higher % chance of a longer period to cut his teeth at this level?

Brighton is a safer bet today, it may not always be of course. Though I like Ipswich and it would be admirable of him to stay.

Nobody should ever be surprised in football of people jumping for what they see is a career ladder stepping stone to their ultimate goals, they nearly all do it!
This is all true. I would throw in the added consideration that he will burn all bridges with Ipswich if he jumps ship, and will probably become a hate figure there for ‘moving for money’. It depends whether that would bother him or not.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
THIS
I think they'll go down. The only way they could possibly stay up is if some teams, maybe Forest, Everton etc get hit with more point deductions. Because that might actually give them a chance. But even still, they're not going to be midtable. The likelihood (almost certainty) is they will be relegated or at best escape on a technicality. I don't mean to be horrible to them, or p**s on their parade but the modern premier league is decided by the vast amounts of money that everyone spends, its a distorted competition. I don't think Ipswich can compete on that financial side.

But you are right, that if they get relegated they'd be meeting expectations. But although the expectations are the same, his stock will definitely drop. Ultimately no big 6 team will appoint a manager who has just been relegated or avoided relegation based on other teams being deducted points. Their fans wouldn't stand for it. Man United fans would go ballistic if they stick with Ten Hag, have another bad season and then replace him with a manager who's team were relegated or finished 4th from bottom.

Staying at Ipswich only works for his career, if he wants to commit to Ipswich long term. But if he has bigger plans, then now is the time for him to leave (not necessarily to us), because he might never have a time when his profile is so high.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Chelsea is a good job to take now because they will be a force next season with the likes of Palmer and their worst days are behind them. Man Utd need loads of work put in and the pressure will be massive. Brighton is the middle ground. I’d be surprised if he turned down Chelsea now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chelsea is a good job to take now because they will be a force next season with the likes of Palmer and their worst days are behind them. Man Utd need loads of work put in and the pressure will be massive. Brighton is the middle ground. I’d be surprised if he turned down Chelsea now.
I agree with this.

McKenna would take Chelsea if offered now 100%.

I still think they will want someone with experience of managing big name players. Potter basically got shoved around there and I can't see them wanting to take that kind of risk.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Obviously he won't turn the money down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports