Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Has Potter crossed him?

Because from a business perspective, it seems to me like he made him £30 million and a Europa League run. I highly doubt Tony feels crossed at all.
Well leaving 6 games into a season probably wasn’t ideal for the club, it could have been a big set back and certainly felt like it at the time.
:)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I've been watching Potterball again for the past couple of months.
De Zerbi had no choice.
It's been horrible. I don't want to go back.
You haven’t though, we have been shipping so many soft goals that we did not concede regularly under Potter. Agree it’s been horrible, more horrible than under Potter imo. It was a complete disaster for most of the last three months and it was not just due to injuries, shit tactics and a manager with his eye off the ball were just as much to blame. I am not as forgiving as the De Zerbi cult on here for his behaviour and tactics during that time.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
IF (and it's highly unlikely I know) he chooses us over Chelsea, they'll say that he wasn't their key target, hence why they have briefed three names and a fourth mystery manager to cover all bases.
Exactly. They are laying the foundations of that right now. However, I also agree that it’s likely he will go there. Let’s hope not.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
As someone said earlier, if indeed McKenna is our number one choice, then the following is a good indicator. If money is the motivator then it's Chelsea. If a stable environment, career stepping stone to a bigger job is key, then we're in the driving seat. Just have to wait and see.
I think that’s a little over simplistic. He’s also a football man, and as much as I love our players, he would have better ones at Chelsea to implement his ideas. It’s a good squad, already showing signs of clicking, so a great opportunity, if you ignore the mental owner.

And 4x salary of course.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Potter is a good manager, I never understood all the hatred towards him and would be more than happy for him to come back.
It's an emotional thing isn't it? At the moment when Potter made the decision to 'jump ship' (in many ways understandable because of the eye watering financial inducements), like everyone else I had to 'suck it' up and I still feel a bit sore about the timing and the mass exodus of talent that accompanied it. Bruno was a personal favourite and he was bought off along with another favourite Roberts and other team members. It just reminded me what I hate about the PL. It is stacked so heavily in favour of the mega-rich. Emotionally I would take some persuading that it's somehow okay to resume the relationship now.....

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If Potter came back at least Chelsea wouldn't try to poach him again. Alright, alright, back off. I was only joking! :D

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m actually a bit concerned about this. I think we were ‘all in’ on McKenna and looks like we’ll get gazumped by the fat yank again. And it’s all very well saying we have a ‘list’ but when we lost Caicedo we got Baleba (who’ll be a good player but for now is a downgrade), when we lost Colwill we got Igor, and when we lost out on Kudus and Dewsbury Hall we got no one. Missing out on our #1 targets is not a good thing, however the club spin it. And I struggle to see any other candidates (at least that we know about) who would appear to be an upgrade on RDZ.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter is a good manager, I never understood all the hatred towards him and would be more than happy for him to come back.
Potter is a good manager. However, I understand the hatred. If I forget, it's very easy to find a picture like this.

1716477485774.png

Had he gone to Chelsea with the guys he arrived with, I'd have said 'So long and thanks for all the fish,' without a care. Instead, he entirely gutted our coaching team six matches into the season, taking even the bloke who would have been his only obvious stand in. If he wanted him, he could have agreed a deal to come back for him after our replacement was installed, but no, he merrily torched the bridge behind him. Utter disrespect to Barber, Bloom and the club. They are pragmatic and sensible enough to say 'That's football' and hold no grudges. As a fan, I don't have to. I can say - You went against the family Fredo and smile as Boehly took him for the inevitable trip on the rowing boat. He's a decent coach, but he is not to be trusted.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think that’s a little over simplistic. He’s also a football man, and as much as I love our players, he would have better ones at Chelsea to implement his ideas. It’s a good squad, already showing signs of clicking, so a great opportunity, if you ignore the mental owner.

And 4x salary of course.
Exactly. It's pretty much the same as when Potter left us: a lot of people saying stuff like "he'd never leave us to go to that basketcase club".

If you're a young British manager, chances to manage big/rich clubs won't come along very often, if at all.

And, despite the basketcase-ness of Chelsea, if you're an ambitious football manager you're likely to back yourself to succeed where others have failed.

You'll also know, that if it all goes wrong, that blot on your copybook will come with the significant caveat of "Well, it was Chelsea - no-one does well there."

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’m actually a bit concerned about this. I think we were ‘all in’ on McKenna and looks like we’ll get gazumped by the fat yank again. And it’s all very well saying we have a ‘list’ but when we lost Caicedo we got Baleba (who’ll be a good player but for now is a downgrade), when we lost Colwill we got Igor, and when we lost out on Kudus and Dewsbury Hall we got no one. Missing out on our #1 targets is not a good thing, however the club spin it. And I struggle to see any other candidates (at least that we know about) who would appear to be an upgrade on RDZ.
Not sure we need an upgrade but at least someone who has excelled. Eg a Paulo Fonseca or similar stature. I agree with your point though regarding the players. We can’t keep missing out on our top targets and expect to progress.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There wasn't any significant hate ( modern catchall phrase...lazy vocab)... a bit of eyebrow raising when the non-booing Leeds incident happened, but that's really it.... I get bored with these tenuous and manufactured historical links creating false narratives..... he got heaps when he went, and rightfully so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here