Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kids football - Best 9-a-side formation?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Dont need full backs as kids go down the middle and cant cross so 3-3-2 or even 3-4-1 as they will all pile forward anyway.

You werent expecting discipline were you?
I think the OP is talking about 12 year olds not 5-6 year olds.
Kids can cross as my youngest son (just turned 10) plays left midfield in a 7 -a-side team and very good at crossing the ball, he is not the only one.
As for disipline i would give kids some credit, i have another son that plays so i watch lots of kids football and 99% of kids behave, it's some parents that cause problems!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It's some parents that cause problems!

Some parents get really angry if someone criticizes their son's/daughter's performance. They seem to think that their kid is perfect in every way and they can't do anything wrong.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a game of kid's football. Just keep it simple and try and get the basics right. Anything you do will depend on what they've been taught before. When I played youth football I played for one team where you just turned up and had a game. I then joined another team that had a qualified coach and we learned about positioning, ball skills and loads of other stuff. We did drills at training to work on all these things and keep it interesting.

The fact you're even asking makes me think you should just keep it easy and concentrate more on making it enjoyable rather than on teaching them any bad habits or nonsense.

edit, didn't see this bit
I played at a good level and have coached keepers but never managed a team.

If you've played at county or above then you'll easily have enough knowledge to coach 12 year olds. Surely ball skills and general understanding of the game is much more important at that age, just stick to what they're used to.

Last edited:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Thanks for everyones input on this. I've seen the team play a couple of times so have a general idea of what I have to work with. I agree it has to be fun but at the same time I'd like them to come away from each game knowing we've all mucked in. Sods law we have the league leaders this Sunday and it's my first game in charge.....:annoyed:o

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thanks for everyones input on this. I've seen the team play a couple of times so have a general idea of what I have to work with. I agree it has to be fun but at the same time I'd like them to come away from each game knowing we've all mucked in. Sods law we have the league leaders this Sunday and it's my first game in charge.....:annoyed:o

You'll be fine all teams play better for a new manager, they'll want to impress you.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
You'll be fine all teams play better for a new manager, they'll want to impress you.

I hope so... cheers. I'll post the result on Sunday if anyone was curious.

What's you're view on the best set up? I've been thrown in at the deep end and due to unforseen circumstances (manager been banned for lumping a ref!), I've been left to manage a girl's U13 side. Anyone manage or coach this sort of age group? Any advice gratefully received :thumbsup:

Ask them which formation they have played up to now and start with that :facepalm:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Goalie, 3 defenders, one holding midfielder, one central midfield, 2 wingers and a centre forward.
Wingers and full backs move infield when play is on opposite side of pitch. Need to recongise how opposition sets itself up though.

Gives a general understanding of all positions on the pitch.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Goalie, 3 defenders, one holding midfielder, one central midfield, 2 wingers and a centre forward.
Wingers and full backs move infield when play is on opposite side of pitch. Need to recongise how opposition sets itself up though.

Gives a general understanding of all positions on the pitch.

Sorry just a wee bit too structured for my taste and setting up a formation based wholly on your opposition might lend nothing to the development of your players beyond rarely nicking a draw against a dominant team.

Holding midfielder, who is likely to sit just in front of your back three ............ so basically 4 defenders, 5 including the keeper up against, if most formations are mirrored from this thread a maximum of two attackers, perhaps one attacker.

Your formations would encourage and I see it alot, youngsters standing in one place basically doing nothing or contributing nothing and learning nothing.

Formations offer an understanding of responsibility granted, but should be totally 'fluid' and should change depending on where the ball is, but a static 3 line formation is dreadful and one of the reasons mini soccer was introduced in the first place.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Remember the phrase.....Stop bunching......it will serve you well.

:thumbsup:

In all seriousness, put the big lumps who can't run but don't mind kicking the opposition in defence tell them to kick it long. Put the rest up front.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Again thanks to all for the info. I decided on a 3-4-1 formation in the end and against the unbeaten league leaders managed to come away with a hard fought 4-3 win :smile:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We play 3 at the back, a midfield diamond and an out and out striker. If we're getting over run we move the diamond to a 3 man midfield with the front of the diamond supporting the midfield and the striker

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
We play 3 at the back, a midfield diamond and an out and out striker. If we're getting over run we move the diamond to a 3 man midfield with the front of the diamond supporting the midfield and the striker

Yep, that was pretty much how we set up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here