Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick off delayed until 8pm Traffic problems

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If you'd been at Brighton Station on the way tonight, you'd have known the answer. Your friends from Southern Railway decided to put on a two-coach train on the second to last train scheduled to get to Falmer in time. The train after that was unable to take all those unable to get onto that one. I was also very glad the kick off was delayed after the slow run down from Victoria on the Gatwick Express.

It was NO different to any other midweek game for trains, except there was 2 cancellations and a couple of short-formed trains because of power problems at Hampden Park which took a train out of service and meant trains were stuck all over the place. Extra coaches used for Saturday games arent available for midweek evening games as they are needed for peak commuter services - it has been no different all season. The 2 coach service is a normal service which wasnt just run for the football and shouldnt have even stopped at Falmer, but they made a decision to allow it. Usually it isnt allowed to prevent overcrowding.

Suspect things were made worse by more people deciding to use trains last night because of problems on the roads on the A259 and A27.

Feb 14, 2010
It was NO different to any other midweek game for trains, except there was 2 cancellations and a couple of short-formed trains because of power problems at Hampden Park which took a train out of service and meant trains were stuck all over the place. Extra coaches used for Saturday games arent available for midweek evening games as they are needed for peak commuter services - it has been no different all season. The 2 coach service is a normal service which wasnt just run for the football and shouldnt have even stopped at Falmer, but they made a decision to allow it. Usually it isnt allowed to prevent overcrowding.

Suspect things were made worse by more people deciding to use trains last night because of problems on the roads on the A259 and A27.

All no doubt true excuses. Bottom line is they failed the punter. Plan for difficulties and have contingencies in place just in case.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It was NO different to any other midweek game for trains, except there was 2 cancellations and a couple of short-formed trains because of power problems at Hampden Park which took a train out of service and meant trains were stuck all over the place.

So actually what you mean is it WAS different. :facepalm:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All no doubt true excuses. Bottom line is they failed the punter. Plan for difficulties and have contingencies in place just in case.
Well when 100% of coaches (excluding failed trains) are already in use - what can actually run ? Roll on when Southern get all these extra coaches coming their way.

So actually what you mean is it WAS different. :facepalm:

Train length - not really any different bar 2 trains. Service - slightly different. Yeah the wording wasnt the greatest i admit - a bit like the Southern staff member who reportedly told passengers if they didnt move down the train - he would cancel it (though people could easily move down, but thats another story).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I can't believe that the Albion haven't built alternative roads in case the A259 collapses due to subsidence, Barber, Burke and Bloom OUT

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well when 100% of coaches (excluding failed trains) are already in use - what can actually run ? Roll on when Southern get all these extra coaches coming their way.

Train length - not really any different bar 2 trains. Service - slightly different. Yeah the wording wasnt the greatest i admit - a bit like the Southern staff member who reportedly told passengers if they didnt move down the train - he would cancel it (though people could easily move down, but thats another story).

'Wording not the greatest.' Is this Southern's new synonym for just 'telling lies to customers'.

Maybe other people should try it: "Saddam Hussein, 'Sorry guv didn't mean them to kill all the Kurds, guess I just worded my orders poorly." :shrug:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
'Wording not the greatest.' Is this Southern's new synonym for just 'telling lies to customers'.

Maybe other people should try it: "Saddam Hussein, 'Sorry guv didn't mean them to kill all the Kurds, guess I just worded my orders poorly." :shrug:

Comparing a train conductor to an evil dictator who killed millions - classy.......

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Didn't help that they cancelled the 22:07 which would have been the second train back to Brighton after the final whistle. Though the station staff made a pretty good effort at filling the eight carriage 22:16 (still a few empty seats towards the back when it left though).

You're too kind. I was in 8 and it was half-empty. Poor stewarding.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Comparing a train conductor to an evil dictator who killed millions - classy.......

Nah, comparing him to Southern as a whole. And it's a perfectly apt comparison since the service that Southern provide wouldn't be at all out of place in 1990's Iraq.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Nah, comparing him to Southern as a whole. And it's a perfectly apt comparison since the service that Southern provide wouldn't be at all out of place in 1990's Iraq.

My point stands, awful comparison. Sure train travel is shite a fair bit, but comparing a company to a vicious dictator ?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Is this about normal time for you guys?
Our son lives near the Oval and he's stopped coming to evening games because he gets back so late. TBH, I hadn't appreciated that he wasn't getting home until 3.5 hours after the game had finished.

Been alright, but i'm not a STH or even regular TBH.
Last night in particular, i faffed about, had a beer or two and wandered down and just made it on the 10.45 to BTN, and then ran to the 11.06 slow train to Lon Vic (for me off at Clap Junction, then to West Norwood, then walk to Herne Hill..)

It can take a while, but pretty sure i clapped players off after beating CP last year, and got on a train back into Vauxhall by 11.30.

Wasn't most of the problem last night that the 10.17 (?) didnt arrive at Falmer ?

:)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You're too kind. I was in 8 and it was half-empty. Poor stewarding.

I know. I was trying to be fair to them for once as the platform staff did make a genuine effort to fill the 8 carriage train [the 22:16]. I was in 6 and there were a few empty seats when it left Falmer. But to the platform staff's credit, they did cajole people to move down to the back and every staff member I asked were consistent with the info that it was an 8 carriage train that would fill the entire platform. Which it did. I guess tho, most people didn't ask that question or trust that answer and so bundled onto the front. Which is human nature i guess. Nobody wants to be stood like a lemon expecting 8 carriages when only 4 arrive. Seems to me the obvious solution is to fill the trains from the back first. Not quite sure how that could be achieved, but maybe one for all parties to think about over the Summer. but in the end, last night, the cancellation of the 22:07 made things a lot worse than they would have been otherwise. Sod's law.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The 22.07 was cancelled half an hour before time
Really not sure why all trains have to run to a timetable, all that is Reqd is a 8 carriage waiting on final whistle to fill up & go non stop to Brighton and another editing behind to move on when 1st departs THEN back to the timetable....this is what has happened for decades at the Wembley Stadium overground non stop to Marylebone

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is this about normal time for you guys?
Our son lives near the Oval and he's stopped coming to evening games because he gets back so late. TBH, I hadn't appreciated that he wasn't getting home until 3.5 hours after the game had finished.

No. I come back with the Haywards Heath supporters club, but technically don't need to. Just saves loads of hassle.

I hit Balham bang on 7 Saturdays and midnight mid week. The delayed kick off led to missing a train and waiting 30 mins at Haywards Heath. That's the problem - that break in services.

Bumped into a mate at Clapham Junction who got the trains all the way up. So although my journey is always "delayed" due to the coach to HH, he had obviously suffered some problems getting away.

The one thing I miss from Withdean is the train from Preston Park. Falmer had added exactly an hour to my journey home.

I often get rid of my ticket midweek, if not I take the afternoon off to get down in time.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yeah the wording wasnt the greatest i admit - a bit like the Southern staff member who reportedly told passengers if they didnt move down the train - he would cancel it (though people could easily move down, but thats another story).

To be fair, when he did say that (right outside the window I was sitting next to) there were NO people waiting to get on the train.
And when the train did eventually pull out late, there was still plenty of room inside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here