Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Khao San Road - Bangkok

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Just arrived in the backpacker pit that is Khao San Road. Got 3 days before I explore 'Real Thailand'. Got a great tip from a user on hotel (Rikka Inn) but looking for any other tips in the area or BKK generally. Bars, restaurants, clubs, landmarks (royal palace and a couple of wats planned already) etc.

Thanks NSC :angel:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Patpong for some Smelly ping pong action :)
I don't really like BKK too much so enjoy your shopping and look forward to the beaches. Very jealous, typing this as I'm getting up for work :(
Where else are you planning on getting to in Thailand?

Jul 13, 2012
Visit a British prisoner at the Bangkok (Bangkwang) Hilton, that was an eye opener and is 25 minutes from Khao san raod. I visit an 18 year old English lad who got the death sentence reduced to 99 years.

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
Just arrived in the backpacker pit that is Khao San Road. Got 3 days before I explore 'Real Thailand'. Got a great tip from a user on hotel (Rikka Inn) but looking for any other tips in the area or BKK generally. Bars, restaurants, clubs, landmarks (royal palace and a couple of wats planned already) etc.

Thanks NSC :angel:

Welcome to Bangkok.
I live in the suburbs of Bangkok. If you need any help, feel free to pm me.

Enjoy :rave:

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Check out Chatuchak Market

Don't take a ride in what claims to be a government tuk tuk. You get taken to lots of places you don't want to go to and get the hard sell about Bangkok being the best place to buy cheap Rubies!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Worth going to see the kickboxing. Fantastic atmosphere.

Should be an event at Lumphini stadium tonight. Can be fun to seat in the cheap seats but obviously the view from ringside is better. If you go ringside, haggle!

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.

Don't take a ride in what claims to be a government tuk tuk. You get taken to lots of places you don't want to go to and get the hard sell about Bangkok being the best place to buy cheap Rubies!

Good tip about the tuk tuks. Best to take a taxi, it's safer but beware taxis that rank up around Khao San road will try to charge you a set fair. Never accept their price, insist on using the meter, it is cheaper. If they refuse, which they probably will, just walk along the road and flag a taxi down. They will normally stop and use the meter.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Kickboxing at lumpini park is great, don't go to the modern stadium at ratchermadan (spelling totally wrong). Sit in the visitors section or you could get stuck in what looks like Chelsea's Shed.
Try the Sirocco skybar, expensive but worth a visit.
Bed supper club on Sukhumvit is really good.
Visit royal Palace, reclining Buddha.
After 3 days you'll have had enough and the place will drive you mad!

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Good tip about the tuk tuks. Best to take a taxi, it's safer but beware taxis that rank up around Khao San road will try to charge you a set fair. Never accept their price, insist on using the meter, it is cheaper. If they refuse, which they probably will, just walk along the road and flag a taxi down. They will normally stop and use the meter.

Meters are turned off after about 10pm. If you insist on Meters after that you won't be going very far.

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
Meters are turned off after about 10pm. If you insist on Meters after that you won't be going very far.

That's a new one! Lived here nearly six years, NEVER had problems getting a taxi back to where I live and that's with a meter on, irrespective of the time of day/night.
Just got to know what you are doing, also helps that I speak fluent Thai so they know I'm not a tourist. :thumbsup:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
That's a new one! Lived here nearly six years, NEVER had problems getting a taxi back to where I live and that's with a meter on, irrespective of the time of day/night.
Just got to know what you are doing, also helps that I speak fluent Thai so they know I'm not a tourist. :thumbsup:

Well done you.
I guess it helps if you speak fluent Thai. Its not a new one, its been the same since i first went to that hole of a place in 1996 and probably before that. If you're wanting to get to or from Koh San after 10pm and you're the only guy insisting on a meter, they aren't interested in taking you. That's what I'm getting at. It's not a rule, it's just something that happens. Same goes for any nightspot. When I'm in Bangkok next month ill try your theory, what shall I say to them in Thai to get the meter at 1 in the morning?

macky

Dec 28, 2004

Chatuchak is better at weekends dont think theres much there in the week

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
Well done you.
I guess it helps if you speak fluent Thai. Its not a new one, its been the same since i first went to that hole of a place in 1996 and probably before that. If you're wanting to get to or from Koh San after 10pm and you're the only guy insisting on a meter, they aren't interested in taking you. That's what I'm getting at. It's not a rule, it's just something that happens. Same goes for any nightspot. When I'm in Bangkok next month ill try your theory, what shall I say to them in Thai to get the meter at 1 in the morning?

If that was sarcasm, I think you need a trip to Bangkok and chill. :rave:

You stated that I would not get a taxi after 10pm with the meter which is not true, and I gave a reason as to why I probably can, no sarcasm hence the thumbs up!

I know they refuse to put the meter on when they see a Farang, anywhere, anytime. I stated that in my first post. I soon learnt 20 years ago not to take a taxi with the crowd hence I said start walking and flag. Just trying to pass on what I have learnt.

As to what to say, I think you probably know by now but:
Bai Thanon Khao San (ไปถนนข้าวสาร). Which literally means: Go Khao San Road.

Enjoy your trip next month. :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If that was sarcasm, I think you need a trip to Bangkok and chill. :rave:

You stated that I would not get a taxi after 10pm with the meter which is not true, and I gave a reason as to why I probably can, no sarcasm hence the thumbs up!

I know they refuse to put the meter on when they see a Farang, anywhere, anytime. I stated that in my first post. I soon learnt 20 years ago not to take a taxi with the crowd hence I said start walking and flag. Just trying to pass on what I have learnt.

As to what to say, I think you probably know by now but:
Bai Thanon Khao San (ไปถนนข้าวสาร). Which literally means: Go Khao San Road.

Enjoy your trip next month. :)

I ment my post sincerely. You are right, I never have a problem getting metered taxis up to the late evening. Then as you probably know, all the off duty taxis hang around the entrances to nightspots. Then it's very difficult to get a metered taxi. They are all mostly legit, but they just won't put the meter on. I guess if you live away from those areas that it's easier to get a meter. I always haggle and in the end your talking about 4quid to get from Sukhumvit to Patpong, instead of 2quid. So not alot in it.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand

To save all the hassle of Tuk Tuks , or Taxis , let the train take the strain ! The MRT station his right outside the market and it's as cheap as chips . 15 mins back to Asoke on Sukhumvit Rd..... You know it makes sense !!

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
I ment my post sincerely. You are right, I never have a problem getting metered taxis up to the late evening. Then as you probably know, all the off duty taxis hang around the entrances to nightspots. Then it's very difficult to get a metered taxi. They are all mostly legit, but they just won't put the meter on. I guess if you live away from those areas that it's easier to get a meter. I always haggle and in the end your talking about 4quid to get from Sukhumvit to Patpong, instead of 2quid. So not alot in it.

OK cheers.
I remember my first trip here with a mate, we were both Brighton taxi drivers BTW! We were ripped off for that same trip and he went ape shit. When we worked out by how much we were over charged in pounds sterling it really put things into perspective. As you say a couple of quid! Oh happy days.

Thailand really is a good place to live and and Thai people on the whole are good people just trying to survive. Most of the taxi drivers come from poor families in the North East. They don't earn anything like I use to in Brighton, so I give them a little slack. Having said that I don’t like to see tourists ripped off, giving this place a bad name.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
To save all the hassle of Tuk Tuks , or Taxis , let the train take the strain ! The MRT station his right outside the market and it's as cheap as chips . 15 mins back to Asoke on Sukhumvit Rd..... You know it makes sense !!

Correct advice, skytrain or underground is the easiest and less stressful way to get about and incidentally there are new laws now regarding being f***ed about by taxi drivers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here