Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Khan/Kotelnik

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Khan threw nearly 1000 punches, all those saying he didn't hurt Kotelnik doesnt know what they are on about. I seem to remember the same arguement with Joe Calzaghe and he didn't do too bad did he.

Not a massive Khan fan but no doubting he has the skills. Still question marks over his chin but that will never go away

You cant teach a fighter to have a good chin, what you can do however, is move him up to his more natural weight, this is what khan has done. It may help a bit, but we wont know until he gets in with a real puncher

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
A very dull fight which Khan did enough to win, but tbh, up against an actual puncher he'd get battered. There is no way Khan is good enough atm to be world champion, especially with that glass chin of his, he didn't even hurt Kotelnik.

Looking forward to see him try and defend it.

One knockout doesn't define a glass jaw.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
May well be quite a dull and repetitive fight to watch, I predict Khan will use his speed to build up a solid points lead in the first 8 or 9 rounds, but may have to hang on a bit for the last few. This is a classic case where he may well win a 'world' title, but will not by any means be the best in the world at the weight, summing up the joke that is boxing politics these days (how can he qualify for a shot at a version of the light-welterweight world title when he's never fought at light-welterweight?). Either way, I'll not be watching as I don't consider it even vaguely worth forking out for. SBO should be for PROPER big fights, and this isn't.

You called it well, Steve. Nice one! :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You cant teach a fighter to have a good chin, what you can do however, is move him up to his more natural weight, this is what khan has done.

You can teach them a defence to thus avoid getting hit on the chin by tucking in behind the shoulder but most boxers today want a wide open square stance which leaves them suseptible to a hook. Moving up a weight means that the chances are the opponents have a more powerful punch with more weight behind it thus more chance of a KO.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
a 50 second knockout when you're the 1/10 favourite SUGGESTS a glass jaw.

Prescott until the other night had 21 wins, 18 by knockout, he's a big puncher. I'm by no means saying Khan has a granite chin but to suggest glass jaw after one knockout is a bit unfair. Would you say Calzaghe had a glass jaw after knockdowns against B-Hop and Jones Jr.? Or Froch because of his recent (1st ever) knockdown? Or Lewis against Rahman? No you would not.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Would you say Calzaghe had a glass jaw after knockdowns against B-Hop and Jones Jr.? Or Froch because of his recent (1st ever) knockdown? Or Lewis against Rahman? No you would not.

The difference being that all of the people you name (with the exception of Lewis, and he flattened Rahman in the rematch), got back up and won the fight.

Khan didn't, he flopped about on the canvas like a wet fish.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
The difference being that all of the people you name (with the exception of Lewis, and he flattened Rahman in the rematch), got back up and won the fight.

Khan didn't, he flopped about on the canvas like a wet fish.

My point was that anyone can go down and just because you do once doesn't mean a label should stick with you for your career.

It remains to be seen whether Khan will forever have his chin as a weakness.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My point was that anyone can go down and just because you do once doesn't mean a label should stick with you for your career.

It remains to be seen whether Khan will forever have his chin as a weakness.

I suggest he fight Manny Pacquiao or someone like that (ie - a PROPER world class fighter) and we'll see. Just wait while I get my stopwatch to time how many nanoseconds he lasts.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
I suggest he fight Manny Pacquiao or someone like that (ie - a PROPER world class fighter) and we'll see. Just wait while I get my stopwatch to time how many nanoseconds he lasts.

When Khan has had 50 odd fights then maybe he would be up to it. At this point of his career it would be a waste of time and money. Khan is 22, give him a chance.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When Khan has had 50 odd fights then maybe he would be up to it. At this point of his career it would be a waste of time and money. Khan is 22, give him a chance.

Fair point.

Khan has only had 22 fights, so it would make sense to put him in with someone with a similar amount of experience. Maybe this guy, having only had 3 more fights than Khan, would do?

edwinValero_610801.jpg

Simple problem with Khan, whether he's 22, 28, 32 or any other age, is that you cannot teach a good chin, and as soon as he steps into genuine world class, he's going to get flattened because holding your hands low and dancing around as he did very well against Kotelnik last night is one thing, doing it against Cotto, Valero or Pacquiao, to name but three, is a different ball game.

I'm all for giving Khan a fair chance and fair credit for winning a "world" title, but against any of those three at anywhere near their best (ie - not waiting until they're Barrera-age), he'd get destroyed.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Yes he does need to fight someone of similar experience rather than ageing has-beens and Frank Warren hand picked fighters. I've not seen Valero fight but he is obviously very dangerous.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I don't disagree with your general assessment of Khan, however it is worth reading this extract from the interview in the Independent with his trainer Freddie Roach. He may have a glass jaw, but he is also a good listener.

"On his [Khan's] first day in the gym he sparred with Manny," explains Roach, whose gym has a reputation for ruthless sparring sessions when they are called for. "Amir has talent, but I needed to put him back on the horse, I needed to see that he was not being half-arsed about boxing."

I can only imagine the faces of Khan's travelling party when Roach told the kid to climb in and start his first day at work with a few rounds against the sport's most dangerous fighter. Pacquiao, it should be added, has since sent Oscar de la Hoya into retirement after a savage beating, and left Ricky Hatton unconscious on the canvas. Roach took up his position in the corner and the bell sounded.

Roach tells the story of the day: "Some of the guys in the gym said 'Freddie, this is a bad idea'. I said, 'We will see'. They said, 'What if he gets knocked out?' I said, 'If he gets knocked out, he goes home.'"

Roach was not joking and on that first fateful day, Khan held his own, perhaps even came off best, and that impressed his new trainer.

"Manny never took it easy. We don't do that in my gym. Some days Amir got the better and other days it would be Manny's turn. The more they did, Manny got the better because he is more mature and Amir is still a very young guy," adds Roach. Once Roach was convinced that Khan could fight, he had to change him, just like Futch had done with Roach all those years ago in Las Vegas. The defeat was not the first time that Khan had been over or wobbled, and the boxer left behind a chorus of doubters when he flew out for emergency salvation at Roach's outpost.

"Some people have better chins than others. That is a fact of life," said Roach. "If you don't have a great chin, you have to protect it. We started to work on defence from the first day and I also told him that he got knocked out because he was looking for a knockout. I want him to box."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When Khan fights the really big boys in this division he will need to put them away in 3 or 4 rounds because they are sure to annialate him in later rounds even if his chinny chin chin lasts that long.

If he thought manny............... oh dear.( and anyway his people are not that stupid.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here