Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kevin Prince Boateng on RDZ

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As an aside to this, when Arteta started to rotate goalkeepers there was someone on the radio, I can't remember who, but they said goalkeepers never like each other when they are at the same club, and the competition for places means there's often barely hidden animosity and almost wishing each other failure. Watching ours warm up for the game against Chelsea though there was obviously a really good relationship between them and strong rapport and support for each other. I wonder if rotation helps with that too and has some benefit around team spirit and togetherness.
I reckon that's complete bollocks. There's a reason so many people talk about a 'goalkeeper's union' and I think – just like other players in the same positions in a squad – they would get on because they are, er, part of the squad.

I think you'd hear more about keepers not liking each other if it really was widespread.

It wasn't Robert Sanchez talking, was it? :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside to this, when Arteta started to rotate goalkeepers there was someone on the radio, I can't remember who, but they said goalkeepers never like each other when they are at the same club, and the competition for places means there's often barely hidden animosity and almost wishing each other failure. Watching ours warm up for the game against Chelsea though there was obviously a really good relationship between them and strong rapport and support for each other. I wonder if rotation helps with that too and has some benefit around team spirit and togetherness.
Was it Brad Friedel?

When Arteta started (supposedly) 'rotating' his keepers (he didn't - he's just dropped Ramsdale for Raya), Friedel gave a whole raft of interviews about his time at Anfield, when he joined Liverpool to 'compete' with David James.

His recollection is that James was horrible and obstructive to him, because he knew he'd come in to threaten his place.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Was it Brad Friedel?

When Arteta started (supposedly) 'rotating' his keepers (he didn't - he's just dropped Ramsdale for Raya), Friedel gave a whole raft of interviews about his time at Anfield, when he joined Liverpool to 'compete' with David James.

His recollection is that James was horrible and obstructive to him, because he knew he'd come in to threaten his place.
Sounds right!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here