Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kevin Prince Boateng on RDZ

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That's a very impressive reference.
When experienced players who have played for the top clubs and in the top leagues speak like that it just confirms what we all are seeing every week.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Kevin Prince Boateng on RDZ...

Starts at 46m40s - a lot of love:

Nice endorsement there, Rio, however, seems to have binned off De Zerbi already, couldn't stop mentioning the 6-1 result, glad he was ignored by Boateng who kept on raving about RDZ.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nice endorsement there, Rio, however, seems to have binned off De Zerbi already, couldn't stop mentioning the 6-1 result, glad he was ignored by Boateng who kept on raving about RDZ.
With his son currently taking up a spot in our under 18s you'd hope he hasn't!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
With his son currently taking up a spot in our under 18s you'd hope he hasn't!
RDZ doesn't coach the under 18's though does he, and by the time his son gets a sniff at the first team, should he be so lucky, RDZ wont be anywhere near Brighton, or the UK for that matter.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
RDZ doesn't coach the under 18's though does he, and by the time his son gets a sniff at the first team, should he be so lucky, RDZ wont be anywhere near Brighton, or the UK for that matter.
He's the head coach of the whole club and we've always had a philosophy of trying to keep a constant style of football trickling down. I've not seen the 18s play but my guess would be Calde has them playing out from the back and certainly keeping possession. Ultimately these are players who will have to be ready to step into the first team (perhaps not Ferdinand, admittedly, it's much harder for keepers to break through).

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
He's the head coach of the whole club and we've always had a philosophy of trying to keep a constant style of football trickling down. I've not seen the 18s play but my guess would be Calde has them playing out from the back and certainly keeping possession. Ultimately these are players who will have to be ready to step into the first team (perhaps not Ferdinand, admittedly, it's much harder for keepers to break through).
We need to be careful though. The way RDZ coaches is so unique, I don't think you can or should coach the youngsters in the same way because as soon as RDZ goes, which he will do, the whole philosophy will have to change. We'll be saddled with a bunch of players wanting to play DeZerbiball without De Zerbi. I'm not sure it's possible to replicate the way we play under another coach.

I agree the core style of building from the back will remain, but I see us becoming far more rigid and less expansive once RDZ goes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We need to be careful though. The way RDZ coaches is so unique, I don't think you can or should coach the youngsters in the same way because as soon as RDZ goes, which he will do, the whole philosophy will have to change. We'll be saddled with a bunch of players wanting to play DeZerbiball without De Zerbi. I'm not sure it's possible to replicate the way we play under another coach.

I agree the core style of building from the back will remain, but I see us becoming far more rigid and less expansive once RDZ goes.
Yeah, that's fair comment. I do think RDZ has changed how football is played in England though. Man City now play in a more 'Brighton' way, Arteta is rotating his keepers, sides press even better since he arrived.

He is still unique but the values of possession football and trying to attack will remain throughout the club so long as Bloom is in charge, IMO.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kevin Prince Boateng on RDZ...

'He makes normal players great'. 'He's done it at every club he's been at'. :love:

Brilliant insight and recommendation there from KPB. Particularly interesting to hear some of the details on training sessions.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
True, although didn't something come out a while back about how one of the club's latest approaches is to invest in young English/British goalkeepers because there's a lot of value in them? If more and more teams are playing the RDZ way, then they will want a GK who can "play football" as KPB (and others) have said?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't stop? Hardly. It would be rather odd NOT to mention a 6-1 drubbing. It happened, RDZ made a mess of the team selection and set up. That's just a fact.

But it's a mere talking point/footnote/bump on the road, all the while RDZ continues to improve the team and players. Too many days like that and people will rightly start to question him, but for now those hammerings keep everyone's feet on the ground.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Couldn't stop? Hardly. It would be rather odd NOT to mention a 6-1 drubbing. It happened, RDZ made a mess of the team selection and set up. That's just a fact.

But it's a mere talking point/footnote/bump on the road, all the while RDZ continues to improve the team and players. Too many days like that and people will rightly start to question him, but for now those hammerings keep everyone's feet on the ground.
I dunno. It irked me that Rio had absolutely nothing to add to the discussion, apart from mentioning the 6-1 result. You'd think he'd have a better insight in what was going on in regards to how we coach players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I dunno. It irked me that Rio had absolutely nothing to add to the discussion, apart from mentioning the 6-1 result. You'd think he'd have a better insight in what was going on in regards to how we coach players.
Most of these debates have a 'good cop' and 'bad cop' type to try to balance the discussions.
Otherwise, it's just a love in.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But that is Rio's raison d'etre as a pundit. He adds absolutely nothing full stop other than the odd comment my 9 and 7 years old's might make about something he's seen such as 'baller' 'sick' or 'top bins'.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
But that is Rio's raison d'etre as a pundit. He adds absolutely nothing full stop other than the odd comment my 9 and 7 years old's might make about something he's seen such as 'baller' 'sick' or 'top bins'.
Well, that makes sense, I don't have TNT, and the fact he hardly appears on any other mainstream channel like most freelance pundits do speaks volumes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why does everyone think RDZ will be off at the first sniff of another job? He has already said money doesn’t motivate him and he wouldn’t enjoy buying or coaching an elite side. In many ways I think he enjoys it as the underdog type coach proving he can beat the big boys with a lesser budget and without top tier players.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
True, although didn't something come out a while back about how one of the club's latest approaches is to invest in young English/British goalkeepers because there's a lot of value in them? If more and more teams are playing the RDZ way, then they will want a GK who can "play football" as KPB (and others) have said?
As an aside to this, when Arteta started to rotate goalkeepers there was someone on the radio, I can't remember who, but they said goalkeepers never like each other when they are at the same club, and the competition for places means there's often barely hidden animosity and almost wishing each other failure. Watching ours warm up for the game against Chelsea though there was obviously a really good relationship between them and strong rapport and support for each other. I wonder if rotation helps with that too and has some benefit around team spirit and togetherness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here