Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Kevin Pietersen: Which counties want to help his England chances?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We have reached the crux of the problem, KP needs England more than England needs him. How come counties are not desperately queuing up trying to sign him ? Er because they all know that he is a dangerous and expensive liability.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
He's disliked by many players on the county circuit. If he came anywhere near Hove there would be a lot of people not renewing their membership.
The bloke is toxic and very subtly manipulative. A complete W@nker.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think the general consensus is that he can go elsewhere. I'm happy with that.

My biggest concern at the moment is the changes at the ECB which will doubtless mean more tinkering and devaluation of the various trophies. T20 will eventually become a franchise affair, without doubt.

I think there would be more interest in county cricket if they stopped playing around with the formats. What pride is there in winning a trophy that ceases to exist the next year ?

County cricket is will be dead soon if this carries on. The ECB has much to answer for.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
We have reached the crux of the problem, KP needs England more than England needs him. How come counties are not desperately queuing up trying to sign him ? Er because they all know that he is a dangerous and expensive liability.
Really?? Are you sure about that?

KP doesn't NEED England. Financially he would be better off sticking to T20 and his other business ventures. He seems to want to prove a point by playing for England again but I really don't think he needs to.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would rather watch a KP innings than a Cook one, even though their very good averages are similar at test level.

Does anyone think KP if he was at the world cup would be doing better than for example Gary Balance ?

I don't care if he's not popular if he still can perform well on the park. Mourinho tends to annoy a lot of people, but you can't deny he's great at his job.

As for Sussex ? it would be a yes for me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most of the Div1 counties have sorted their overseas players. Lancs have a vacancy but surely runs against Div 2 bowling attacks count for little?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Am I missing something but wouldn't counties having an overseas player lined up be irrelevant as he is English qualified?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been reading- or attempting to read- his autobiography lately after it was lent to me. It's not the greatest book, to be honest, and I'm finding it hard going, as he really doesn't come across well. I'm not sure I'll finish it. The crux of this for me is that he absolutely slates Matt Prior in it, repeatedly, therefore I'd be gobsmacked if anybody at Sussex wanted to go anywhere near him.

Unless, of course, Prior really is as unpopular a man as KP would have us believe, in which case perhaps we're all going to be surprised. I doubt it, however.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He was living in the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and with Middlesex apparently not interested along with Warwickshire and Notts you'd assume his pecking order would be Surrey, then Hants, then Somerset then us. Prior would be a big problem, and I expect Mark Robinson will have his hands full trying to turn Tymal Mills into a proper bowler. I can't see Pietersen coming to Sussex but part of me would like to see it happen.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The thing that gets me about kp is just how brazen he is about only being in it for himself. Even when he was seeking to come back he was saying that England being successful was secondary to his own success in going after run scoring records.

Don't want him near the team.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really?? Are you sure about that?

KP doesn't NEED England. Financially he would be better off sticking to T20 and his other business ventures. He seems to want to prove a point by playing for England again but I really don't think he needs to.

He certainly does NEED England. This is the same as Beckham's need to remain in the spotlight for as long as possible despite faltering performances. Playing the pyjama game for various franchises is fine and pays some of the bills but the real kudos is playing for your country at international level and he knows that. People are talking about the likes of DeVilliers and McCullum splattering bowlers but where is KP ? He needs to be in the international team for his value in 20/20 to remaining high.

As I mentioned before, shutting up, scoring lots of runs in domestic cricket in all forms and remaining injury free might give him a chance of a comeback but that's not going to happen.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has had a pop at the England one-day team selection & mentality via Twitter this morning. Perhaps anybody who'd momentarily entertained the notion of reintegrating him for a second time will be reconsidering his suitability again.

Though to be fair, he probably has a point re the one day side.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Averages show his best days are behind him,add to that the trouble he causes and it's an emphatic NO.

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Surely this is just a reasonably clever move by the ECB to shut him and his pal Piers Morgan up. There is no way Pietersen will play county cricket when he can get a million playing IPL for the next couple of years and a bonus of a couple of matches playing the farce in the West Indies - he hasnt played more than a couple of four day games in the last five years i bet. So next time he whinges about being better than anyone in the current team they can just turn round and say 'cant pick you unless youre playing county cricket'. And as already pointed out on here with him having burned bridges at Hampshire, Surrey and Notts the word will have got round that for the sake of one or two games a season he isnt worth the stress. The more he is in the spotlight the more his arrogance, smugness and general repulsive attitude shines through.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
I don't care if he's not a team player. If he scores runs and doesn't destroy the dressing room then that's fine.

WE may have a group of team players at the moment, but it's doesn't really matter does it? We're rubbish, especially at 50 over cricket. He could be that opener who gives us that impetus at the top of the order rather than hoping that Buttler or Morgan 'comes off' at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here