Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Ketchup on a pie

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
So I'm sitting enjoying the 1st half on Sunday. & in front of me a person is eating a chicken pie absolutely covered on top in ketchup. Am I alone in thinking this is unnecessary seasoning of an already well seasoned product?

It totally ruined my enjoyment of watching the 1st half

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Brown sauce on a cheap steak pie is acceptable. On one of Piglets though…,,, very grey area.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So I'm sitting enjoying the 1st half on Sunday. & in front of me a person is eating a chicken pie absolutely covered on top in ketchup. Am I alone in thinking this is unnecessary seasoning of an already well seasoned product?

I can totally understand your dismay. It should of course have been HP Sauce! :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You had quite a result.

Our football totally ruined my enjoyment of watching the 1st half.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being a 'Ketchup on everything' person I must admit that a Piglets Pie never needs any additional flavouring. Even more fluid to drop down on my jumper!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I have an inexplicable, but genuine, physical response to tomato ketchup and can't eat it - even smelling it makes me gag. It's the only food this happens with and somehow tomatoes in any other form are fine and dandy. I'm normally OK seeing it at a non-smelling distance but a pie absolutely covered in it? Even picturing it in my mind is making me feel uncomfortable...so I'm with you, it would have ruined my first half as much as the football did too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A good pie needs not ketchup nor nothing else but, perhaps, extra gravy. A bit of mustard at a push.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I quite like the flavour combo of a Pukka steak pie with some ketchup, not loads though.

As for the stadium pies, they are nice but with the new packaging(if a cardboard thong can be termed as packaging), a significant percentage of the contents often ends up on my lap/the floor
I was quite proud of myself as on Sunday, I managed to eat a steak & ale pie out of one of those 'sleeve' coverings, with hardly dropping a crumb. I did cheat and used a wooden fork.
No ketchup involved.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
That’s virtually a pizza topping.

Jul 7, 2003
I quite like the flavour combo of a Pukka steak pie with some ketchup, not loads though.

As for the stadium pies, they are nice but with the new packaging(if a cardboard thong can be termed as packaging), a significant percentage of the contents often ends up on my lap/the floor
The secret with Piglets Pies is to eat them upside down (i.e. lid on the bottom, not while doing a handstand). Now the pastry lids are not a soggy (a benefit of the new packaging) the lid is more robust than the base and wider so eating them upside down greatly reduces the risk of spillage.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

I'll accept a little dab on a not great pie. But not all over a decent one. Unless you're 10. And mental.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Yep. Totally wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here