Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Kent CCC v Sussex CCC, Bob Willis Trophy, 8-11 August 2020, Canterbury***

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
43-3 now. Hope's of a Sussex victory are just starting to fade.

Clear favourites. Good batting wicket and only 146 runs to overhaul.

Should reach that target.

I've not factored in another Kent innings but I'm sure that can be overcome.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Luke Wells can't get into this side? He might as well retire.

Yeah, I don't care how many times he failed last season, he's done it before.

We were talking last week about the Junior Cricket Festival and how it doesn't help young players getting battered in a one-sided match. I know we're talking about players a few years older but I don't see how getting an absolute pounding like this helps their development either.

I love seeing kids get a chance but there should be some balance - we have six players in this team with fewer than 20 F/C matches under their belt ... and another one who's just 23. They need some old heads to help them

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Four down.
This performance is inexcusable.
In fact it’s not really the performance.
The standard of The team sent out for this fixture - that’s the issue.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
... which is what I've been saying.

Yeah. There’s giving younger players a chance.....there’s saying the old guard have had enough chances......and then there’s this.
Btw What happened to AAron Thomason ?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Our line up is akin to the ill fated league cup game vs Villa. I'm all for blooding youngsters, but not all at once!

Hey, we’ve got a few past-it golden oldies too !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just realised that Stevens didn't get his customary runs against us - that's bound to be a Michelle then

I mean.......I’m going home

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
110 - for 7 wickets (34.4 overs)

Sussex trail Kent by 88 runs with 3 wickets remaining

When are the thunderstorms and flood due, could we hold out until then, for a splendid hollow draw.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What an absolutely believable performance from Sussex.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yeah, I don't care how many times he failed last season, he's done it before.

We were talking last week about the Junior Cricket Festival and how it doesn't help young players getting battered in a one-sided match. I know we're talking about players a few years older but I don't see how getting an absolute pounding like this helps their development either.

I love seeing kids get a chance but there should be some balance - we have six players in this team with fewer than 20 F/C matches under their belt ... and another one who's just 23. They need some old heads to help them

I agree with some of that ...

You will recall when Tendulkar first played for India aged just 16 - the words then were: "If you're good enough, you're old enough."
County cricketers who are 23 will have experienced over 10 years of performance / elite cricket - if they're not good enough they shouldn't be selected.

I was very lucky last year to work with Shropshire county u13's - a very gifted group of lads - we only lost 2 games all season and won the prestigious Taunton Festival at Jos Butler's old school.

Whilst winning became a [nice to have] habit for this squad, it was the [rare] games we lost that we were able to use in the team talks to recognise failures and weaknesses and dissect down to the multiple causes, suggesting/discussing what could be done differently if similar circumstance arose again in the future - not a witch-hunt or blame-seeking exercise, but analysis to identify alternative options / decision-making for better outcomes.

Getting hammered means this might not be comfortable for some players in a group [self reflection mandatory]. The issue of mismatched hammerings really becomes an issue if the same mistakes [and therefore outcomes] are observed to the point where losing and under-performing become the norm. Getting hammered once can be a wake-up call to elite players but only if they can identify their short-comings. If they all played to the best of their ability and still got hammered, that's a very different issue. It's where mental strength in sport becomes the overriding requirement.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
And bingo!

As inevitable as another Katie Price marriage

Impressive ..but Predicting Stevens will destroy Sussex and Finch will get out hardly makes you Mystic Meg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here