Kendra Harrison Breaks 28 year World Record

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The previous world record of 12.21 had stood since 1988 and was held by Yordanka Donkova of Bulgaria.

Mmm, In 1988 Bulgaria was effectively a Satellite state of the Soviet Union and in the Eastern Bloc. Drug testing was almost non-existent or in its infancy.

I wonder how Ms Donkova managed that time?

In the 1980's, an era widely recognised as being tainted by drug fuelled performances, many world records were regularly being broken and set by athletes in the Eastern bloc, some of the records were smashed so comprehensively they stood for many years afterwards and no-one could get near them. All these records should be expunged and invalidated. Maybe they should adjust the current events so they cannot be compared i.e introduce slightly longer distances, sizes of discuss, javelin, hammer etc so new records can be set by clean athletes that are all independently tested using the latest technology.

Here's Ms Donkova at her resplendent best:

o8004.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The previous world record of 12.21 had stood since 1988 and was held by Yordanka Donkova of Bulgaria.

Mmm, In 1988 Bulgaria was effectively a Satellite state of the Soviet Union and in the Eastern Bloc. Drug testing was almost non-existent or in its infancy.

I wonder how Ms Donkova managed that time?
She had more drugs than Boots.

In the 1980's, an era widely recognised as being tainted by drug fuelled performances, many world records were regularly being broken and set by athletes in the Eastern bloc, some of the records were smashed so comprehensively they stood for many years afterwards and no-one could get near them. All these records should be expunged and invalidated.
Agreed.

This is obviously a current issue with Russia - should the individual pay for the problems of the state: Yes! That's what happened to South Africa.

Maybe they should adjust the current events so they cannot be compared i.e introduce slightly longer distances, sizes of discuss, javelin, hammer etc so new records can be set by clean athletes that are all independently tested using the latest technology.
No point, let's not pretend that everyone's clean now. Look at Russia FFS!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh err, are the two connected then?
Yes. Carl Lewis, who had decent teeth, suddenly needed to start wearing braces when he was an adult.

So what exactly has happened:
In 1988 an athlete (allegedly female, unconfirmed) from Bulgaria, having taken enough steroids to kill a herd of cows, set an incredible world record in the 100m hurdles. A record that hasn't been beaten for 28 years, despite the advances made in athletics. Then in 2016, an athlete that's been told she's not good enough to race for the USA, who's been told she needs to up her game, manages to break that 28 year old drug boosted man thing record. Hats off to you Kendra, that's really impressive. Good luck sorting out your overbite. Make sure to trim your nails a lot, they grow really fast in sprinters as good as you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's hard to get enthused by a woman's record being broken when it's generally not even close to the actual best for that event in the history of the sport.
Really? What is the actual best for 100m hurdles in the history of the sport?
12.8 for the 110 metres hurdles.
Tyrone, the 110m hurdles is not the 100m hurdles. She ran the 100m hurdles, and broke the WR. Are you getting confused?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am sure this has been discussed previously but I was watching some women's 800m last week, and I could pick out at least three men running ....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tyrone, the 110m hurdles is not the 100m hurdles. She ran the 100m hurdles, and broke the WR. Are you getting confused?

No not confused, just don't rate a record thats .8 quicker than a race record that's 10 metres longer in distance i.e the 110 metre record.

It's like a D grade record.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No not confused, just don't rate a record thats .8 quicker than a race record that's 10 metres longer in distance i.e the 110 metre record.

It's like a D grade record.

Women very rarely race over 110 metres now. Not at all in any meaningful competition. The women's 110 metres hurdle record is about as relevant as the record for the men's 100 metre egg and spoon race.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Women very rarely race over 110 metres now. Not at all in any meaningful competition. The women's 110 metres hurdle record is about as relevant as the record for the men's 100 metre egg and spoon race.

That was my point, the 100 metres record is about as relevant as a 100 metre egg and spoon race.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That was my point, the 100 metres record is about as relevant as a 100 metre egg and spoon race.

It's not though because women race competitively over 100 metres hurdles and so that is the record that is important, not a race over 10 metres extra that people only take part in at Crystal Palace on a Sunday afternoon at the end of the season once a year.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's not though because women race competitively over 100 metres hurdles and so that is the record that is important, not a race over 10 metres extra that people only take part in at Crystal Palace on a Sunday afternoon at the end of the season once a year.

The worlds fatest hurdlers run over 110 metres, everyone else is slow.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The worlds fatest hurdlers run over 110 metres, everyone else is slow.

In men's competition, yes, because that is the standard distance. Not in women's competition.

Also, you could argue that rhythm is even more important in women's competition because there are the same number of barriers to jump but 10 less metres to negotiate them in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports