Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin PPV tomorrow night

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Joshua looked amazing tonight, would love to see him fight Wilder soon as both huge hitters who like a fight. Would fancy Joshua who has the superior technique.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Forget Frank Bruno, Joshua reminds me very much of Lennox Lewis - agile for a man of his size, very good jab and you get the distinct impression that he's thinking through everything he does in there, it all seems very measured and calm.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agreed, especially after that, nothing opponent but looked quality none the less. Bit of a joke fight and not a match up at all easier work out than sparring there

For his 13th fight the opponent was more than good enough. I guarantee Lewis & Tyson were fighting inferior fighters at their respective stages.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Lewis won the European title in his 14th fight so that is on a par with Joshua's progress, Lewis beat Ossie Ocasio in his 12th so I'd like to think this September date Hearn was on about is a quality opponent and a step up now from Johnson who despite the hype was over here for the pay day and never looked in the fight

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This is where the card feels like it will lose momentum, cannot fault it so far but this could well be a mis-match although I can see Gavin making it awkward for Brook in the first 4 rounds but I cannot make a case for him winning, his not big or powerful enough, would be better suited judging by his frame at Lightweight or Light Welter maximum.

What would have topped this off would have been a genuine 50/50 fight testing Brook or a big name such as Rios, Marquez, Thurman or Bradley.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Lewis won the European title in his 14th fight so that is on a par with Joshua's progress, Lewis beat Ossie Ocasio in his 12th so I'd like to think this September date Hearn was on about is a quality opponent and a step up now from Johnson who despite the hype was over here for the pay day and never looked in the fight

Ossie Ocasio was going downhill and took Lewis to points. Joshua is special, there is Dillion Whyte who beat Joshua in the amateurs which would be interesting.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As expected the night ends with a major anti-climax but overall a very good night of boxing. I wonder if September's o2 card will be PPV?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Almost certainly PPV again September

Probably they will step up AJ followed by Brook's 2nd defense against Rios and Clev Vs Braemer. Again not sure if those 3 fights in isolation warrant PPV but Matchroom seem keen to push anything above decent that way and throw the shit at the standard Sky Sports channel.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
11248020_824149007674956_1768181687_n.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It seems strange reading this conversation on here. A few years ago, it would have been heard in pubs and workplaces throughout the land - Benn, Eubank, Lloyd Honeyghan, Frank Bruno, early Tyson - even our 'Enery - were all household names. Their fights (on one of the three or four TV channels available back then} would have been watched by millions.
IMHO, Sky's intervention has taken boxing right out of the mainstream of sport. There maybe pots of money swilling about for the more successful fighters and promoters still, but as a popular sport for the masses, they've killed it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It seems strange reading this conversation on here. A few years ago, it would have been heard in pubs and workplaces throughout the land - Benn, Eubank, Lloyd Honeyghan, Frank Bruno, early Tyson - even our 'Enery - were all household names. Their fights (on one of the three or four TV channels available back then} would have been watched by millions.
IMHO, Sky's intervention has taken boxing right out of the mainstream of sport. There maybe pots of money swilling about for the more successful fighters and promoters still, but as a popular sport for the masses, they've killed it.

Whilst I hear your point crowds have remained strong and we have had some superstars pretty much created through Sky most notably Ricky Hatton but also Lennox Lewis & Joe Calzaghe although I'm aware some of their early career was on terrestrial. David Haye & Carl Froch have made names for themselves predominately through Sky.

With Britain having six World Champions plus Froch & Khan noted World Class fighters the current state of British boxing is hugely healthy. Hopefully if ITV's deal with Frampton proves fruitful we may have more fights there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst I hear your point crowds have remained strong and we have had some superstars pretty much created through Sky most notably Ricky Hatton but also Lennox Lewis & Joe Calzaghe although I'm aware some of their early career was on terrestrial. David Haye & Carl Froch have made names for themselves predominately through Sky.

With Britain having six World Champions plus Froch & Khan noted World Class fighters the current state of British boxing is hugely healthy. Hopefully if ITV's deal with Frampton proves fruitful we may have more fights there.

Yes, but it's no longer the topic of conversation everywhere that it used to be. I'm sure the hardcore fans that go to fights are still there, but the mass appeal has gone. I know that the Mayweather - Paqhiou (sorry, I know that spelling attempt is atrocious, but you know who I mean) made enough money to buy out half a dozen small African countries, but apart from serious boxing fans, I doubt it registered more than a shrug from the general public.
Partly the decline is, I think, due to the decline in America - of general fans, not the hardcore dedicated ones. Since they lost the God-given right for the heavyweight champion to be a US citizen, they don't seem as interested as they used to be either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here