Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keith Andrews loan official

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
His strength is breaking from midfield, and had his best spells (WBA & Ipswich) playing in the middle three of a 4-3-3. I don't know how he was deployed at Bolton, but sounds like he fits our system perfectly. Not a hugely exciting signing, but could be very important. A midfield of Bridcutt, Andrews & Kemy is very competitive at this level, and will allow the flairniacs of Lopez, Orlandi, Buckley, Lua Lua to bomb forward from wide positions.

Effervescent, going though the oppo defence like a dose of salts

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Relatively pleased with the signing but its a shame JFC will now be pushed further down the order.

Not necessarily if Oscar likes the youth being involved, he won't be first choice of course but could cement a bench place maybe. If not maybe Oscar will send him to a good League One club or a low Championship club, possibly Yeovil with Jones connections. Short term loan, say 3 months or so.

Really good signing - having played last week I really hope OG gives him a spot on the bench at least today as he is match fit. We need a bit of goal threat from our central 3 midfielders and not clear if Agustein can do that and we know Bridcutt cant

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Who is making these signings surely not Oscar. I cannot believe Oscar knows anything about Agustiein. Chicksen and Andrews. Is Oscar in danger of being a puppet, to who ever is making these deals.
I can't believe any of those players he had even heard of before coming to Brighton, let alone watch them to see if they would add to the squad or not.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Who is making these signings surely not Oscar. I cannot believe Oscar knows anything about Agustiein. Chicksen and Andrews. Is Oscar in danger of being a puppet, to who ever is making these deals.
I can't believe any of those players he had even heard of before coming to Brighton, let alone watch them to see if they would add to the squad or not.

David Burke is. Oscar Garcia is used to this at his old club. I do not like this set up whatsoever. However, this is not to say Oscar will not have any say in the signings or make ones himself in the future.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Do we know that for certain?

Yes. It used to be a term of the loan where the parent club would put a clause in re whether the player could or couldn't play against them, but the FA (or League or whoever) made it a standard rule of all loan deals a few years ago that NO LOAN PLAYER can play against their parent club. It was a result of some incident where a player scored a later winner against their parent club (Portsmouth, I think) and the home fans went ballistic and the player couldn't return to the parent club at the end of the loan and had to be sold on. The rule was introduced shortly after.

Re Keith Andrews: Charlton were linked with him heavily last summer and fans were quite underwhelmed (there was even a rumour that our shirt sponsor - an air conditioning and heating firm called Andrews - were the driving force behind the mooted move (for some spurious reason or other). Never happned, but underwhelming signings are going to become the norm under FFP. I can also see a drift to far more British Isles (ie UK and Ireland) players outside of the Premiership as 'local' players adopt more realistic post-FFP wage expectations and the weak pound together with ancilliary costs (relocation, hotels etc) makes signing players from further afield a less attractive proposition. Not saying whether that will be a good or a bad thing, but I think it will happen...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
David Burke is. Oscar Garcia is used to this at his old club. I do not like this set up whatsoever. However, this is not to say Oscar will not have any say in the signings or make ones himself in the future.

So if things star going bad do the fans call for Oscars head or David Burke. A really bad set up in my mind.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Looking at the Bolton forum,it seems they are having a party over him going.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes. It used to be a term of the loan where the parent club would put a clause in re whether the player could or couldn't play against them, but the FA (or League or whoever) made it a standard rule of all loan deals a few years ago that NO LOAN PLAYER can play against their parent club. It was a result of some incident where a player scored a later winner against their parent club (Portsmouth, I think) and the home fans went ballistic and the player couldn't return to the parent club at the end of the loan and had to be sold on. The rule was introduced shortly after.

I thought it was an agreement between two clubs when the player goes out on loan. A couple of years ago, Shrewsbury let Jake Robinson go to Torquay on loan, but forgot the clause about not playing against them. He scored in the play off game which effectively knocked Shrewsbury out.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I thought it was an agreement between two clubs when the player goes out on loan. A couple of years ago, Shrewsbury let Jake Robinson go to Torquay on loan, but forgot the clause about not playing against them. He scored in the play off game which effectively knocked Shrewsbury out.

The rules were changed a couple of years ago (see link) but thinking about it, this might be a Premier League ruling, in which case the Football League might not necessarily have made the same ruling: http://news.arseblog.com/2011/11/arsene-wants-loan-rules-changed/

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So if things star going bad do the fans call for Oscars head or David Burke. A really bad set up in my mind.

I agree that I think it's a poor way to acquire players but ultimately results are not just about who you're buying. It's what you make of them

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Or maybe it is an FA ruling. This is from Lomana Lua Lua's Wikipedia page (so it's veracity comes with typical Wiki caveats, but also suggests my memory that it was an incident involving Portsmouth might have been right):

"In February 2004, after returning from the 2004 African Cup of Nations, he joined Portsmouth on a three-month loan deal with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the season. During this loan spell he scored in the 89th minute in a 1–1 draw for Portsmouth against parent club Newcastle. The result lifted Portsmouth out of the bottom three of the Premiership. This also lead to a change in legislation for the FA introducing standard rules meaning a player on loan could not play against their parent club."

I'm pretty sure it is a Premier League rather than FA ruling. In fact, Googling suggests it's section 7.2 of rule M.6 of the Premier League rulebook, and was introduced a lot earlier than the 2009 mentioned in the Wenger interview (and partially in response to the LuaLua incident above).

Interestingly (sort of) as it's a PL rule it doesn't apply in cups, so a loan player could play against his parent club in, for example, the FA Cup Final.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Agustien and Andrews are Oscar's signing. Burke finds them and Oscar gives them a thumbs-up or thumbs-down (think Gladiator style).
This is what the boss is used to.
He

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here