Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There is so much in there I haven't said, it's not that it isn't clear, it's just off on a tangent.
It wasn't meant to be a point-by-point critique. Just general conversation about how the supermarket profits are a mighty red herring because (in spite of the apparent big numbers) supermarket profits are not big at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Starmer isn't everyones cup of tea, but nor is Biden in America. This time it's not about personality but forcing change. The end of demagogues, divide and conquer, and a Tory party who only stand for wealth inequality and Plutocracy

I'm not sure it about forcing much change at all with Biden or Starmer. I think the majority of the electorate view them both as a pause button to stop further damage being done.

I don't think for one minute the lead Labour have in the polls in a reflection on how better Labour would be. It's clearly a reflection on how appalling the Tories are.

The penny has clearly dropped over here as it did in the USA. Like the Republicans the Tory party as not as we know it.

If only the conspiracy theorists would focus on the obvious and look into how the traditional right of centre parties have been taken over by something quite different.

Unfortunately this new right wing has them gripped by the bollocks and ironically they are are part of the conspiracy themselves.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wonderful as it would be for Starmer to stand up and offer a full throated defence of Freedom of Movement, the fact is Britain simply isn’t ready to hear that yet. Some still think Brexit will solve all their ills.
Starmer needs to keep his head down, all the while it is raining shit.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fair comment re seasonal nature, Therefore logic says we should encourage people who are happy to work seasonally i.e. foreign labour on seasonal only visas. This is all the farming unions are asking for

It's a weird one, (a) because they already have such a scheme, but it's capped at 30,000 people annually, no way near enough, and (b) a lot of seasonal workers applied for right to stay under the EU Settlement scheme and come over for picking season like they did before - but they're going to get older and their numbers will drop. No doubt there were still loads of Eastern Europeans in the daffodil fields last winter, but for the first time ever I saw billboard adverts offering daffodil picking jobs. There was a labour shortage and fields went unpicked (some people say as many as a fifth), just stupid in an industry that is worth £100 million annually. [90% UK daffs grown in Cornwall]

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
They've started already, shooting themselves in the foot.

This will prove very unpopular with many voters, not the filthy rich but normal punters sacrificing to send their kids to smaller class sizes in the area they choose. The burden put on already struggling state schools will be catastrophic.

Charitable

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

This will prove very unpopular with many voters, not the filthy rich but normal punters sacrificing to send their kids to smaller class sizes in the area they choose. The burden put on already struggling state schools will be catastrophic.

Charitable
do behave, average voter doesnt care about this issue. affects only a very small number in each seat, not enough to move the dial either politically or children switching to state schools. and it'll have so many loop holes to exempt all the educational establishments that arent intended to be caught, they wont raise any money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Charitable
Nonsense.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Charitable
Starmer going hard on this at PMQ's. It won't be unpopular because it only effects about 5% of school kids.

The charitable status is private schools is absolutely ridiculous, at the end of the day these are businesses and need to pay VAT, council tax and corp tax like any other.

Its state sponsorship of the British class system, time to take an axe to it and start the journey to a more egalitarian country.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Starmer going hard on this at PMQ's. It won't be unpopular because it only effects about 5% of school kids.

The charitable status is private schools is absolutely ridiculous, at the end of the day these are businesses and need to pay VAT, council tax and corp tax like any other.

Its state sponsorship of the British class system, time to take an axe to it and start the journey to a more egalitarian country.
Absolute hogwash.

I know of many working class parents making massive personal financial sacrifices to send their child/children to an independent school. Prices going up 20% will force many normal folk out of the market.

I DO hope Sir Kneel enjoyed his spell at Reigate Grammar School.

Reigate FEES

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolute hogwash.

I know of many working class parents making massive personal financial sacrifices to send their child/children to an independent school. Prices going up 20% will force many normal folk out of the market.
Obviously it's up to individuals how and where they spend their money, but I'm still unclear why you think British taxpayers should have to subsidise them if they can't afford the actual cost of what they want, particularly in the current economic climate where people are struggling to stay warm and eat :shrug:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Anyone who believes the Tories when they talk about "levelling up" is completely deluded.

Rifle ranges, first class cricket pitches and theatres at Winchester College or having enough teachers in Southampton state schools to try and improve the lamentable level of provision possible for children in those schools. Which would be a better use of public funds in pursuit of "levelling up"...???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Absolute hogwash.

I DO hope Sir Kneel enjoyed his spell at Reigate Grammar School.

Reigate FEES
Jeez this is pathetic even for this thread.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Another PMQs where slippery Sunak avoided answering one single question. (And he appeared to be the only Tory front-bencher who wasn't wearing a red ribbon to acknowledge World Aids Day tomorrow.)

Disappointing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because he was there? :facepalm:
hole.jpg

Stop digging and pass me that shovel, we both know it's for the best :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
From bitter personal experience, I have no axe to grind for private schools.... but if 600,000 children are being educated in over 2000 schools in the independent sector, won't the really wealthy just carry on paying the increased fees, and those for whom the financial case is marginal will look to go back to state provision.

Aren't most schools under pressure already, where will these children go?

I get the 'fairness' argument... but am not clear how this is any sort of solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here