Kefalonia - hints / tips etc

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
one of the loveist places in the world.....your lucky.

You have to watcht he sun setting.................its truly awesome

Try the local delicacy - Cephalonian meat pie, pork, beef, veg. and rice with a pastry topping. Not your typical Greek island fare but probably popular in the cooler months - wewere told that October - March there is a lot of wind and horizontal rain with snow not unknown!

When we were in Ithaca I recall being in a little taverna (can't remember the name of the port but it was where there was a house where Lord Nelson used to meet up with Lady Hamilton for a cup of tea and chat). They had the usual loose English translations of the fare on offer, one dish was "bowel spit"! Didn't try it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Google maps suggests its 2-3 miles... mmm... it might need to be like a mill pond to persuade Mrs t :)

Google maps suggests its 2-3 miles... mmm... it might need to be like a mill pond to persuade Mrs t :)

I guess with an avatar like yours you are entitled to be wary of putting out to sea but the crossing to Ithaca is only about 2 miles. Mrs. SoC normally gets a bit queezy on boats but there is loads of fresh air and sun so she enjoyed it and even had a go on the helm. Ithaca and Kefalonia are both quite mountainous so dominate the views either side with no danger of losing sight of land, it is really just a wide-ish channel with good landmarks to help find your way.

Do talk to the guy at the boat hire, we found him helpful - they want you to enjoy the experience so will advise if the sea conditions are ok to go to Ithaca. Plus dont leave it too late in the day as the boats are quite popular. There are two boat hire points in Fiskardo harbour: looking towards the harbour with your back to the quayside there is one around to the left by the ferry ramp run by a woman or the one on the right hand end of the quay near the harbour mouth: http://www.fiscardoboathire.com We used the latter as our travel company had negotiated a discount for their clients. Think we did a half day hire rate plus they will charge according to the amount of fuel you use as indicated on the fuel gauge so just agree the readings before/after. The boat was well equipped, we had a simple chart showing do's and don'ts so with some common sense it was very enjoyable. We mainly pottered around enjoying the scenery without going too fast but did see some punters tearing around a bit faster so must have cost them more in fuel plus less comfortable for the passengers. We felt it was a reasonable cost and one of the highlights of the trip. Hope this helps.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Oh god I'd forgotten how good Gyros is, lovely pitta type bread, amazing chicken salad (chips?) and tzatsiki. Out of this world!
Big fan of kleftico too (lamb in hot clay pot), chicken souvlaki skewers, moussaka and even the plain Greek Salad! A very underated cuisine I reckon... Almost forgot stuffed vine leaves, those little cheese in filo pies and local sausage too! Not to mention fresh locally caught fish washed down with a litre of cheap house wine served at near freezing point!

68hrs to flight time... (not that I'm counting!)

I've not been to Kefalonia, so can't help you out with any tips... but when you're back and want a reminder of the excellent Greek food, head to Archipelagos on Western Road. I've been there several times and always come away absolutely STUFFED. Their Kleftiko is IMMENSE!

Having just properly considered your username, I'm thinking that Western Road, Brighton may not be overly convenient!!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ithica is the fabled home of odysseus and Penelope, homer describes it in rather vague tones and even with earthquakes etc it's a bit tenuous that the island is one and the same place.

The sea is a tad choppy even in the middle of summer....but hang it, take a quelle and go for it

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
As with all the above, lovely place, went years ago, would love to go again

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh god I'd forgotten how good Gyros is, lovely pitta type bread, amazing chicken salad (chips?) and tzatsiki. Out of this world!
Big fan of kleftico too (lamb in hot clay pot), chicken souvlaki skewers, moussaka and even the plain Greek Salad! A very underated cuisine I reckon... Almost forgot stuffed vine leaves, those little cheese in filo pies and local sausage too! Not to mention fresh locally caught fish washed down with a litre of cheap house wine served at near freezing point!

68hrs to flight time... (not that I'm counting!)

One of the many reasons I adore Greece, been lucky enough to go to many of the islands, I find a peace and tranquillity that I have not found anywhere else.
Anyone tried Raki:nono:

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I've not been to Kefalonia, so can't help you out with any tips... but when you're back and want a reminder of the excellent Greek food, head to Archipelagos on Western Road. I've been there several times and always come away absolutely STUFFED. Their Kleftiko is IMMENSE!

Having just properly considered your username, I'm thinking that Western Road, Brighton may not be overly convenient!!

A fair old trek! Will bear it in mind for when I'm down visiting the family next. There and a good Indiam, think its called The Chilli pickle?

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
one of the loveist places in the world.....your lucky.

You have to watcht he sun setting.................its truly awesome

I love Greece - had one of the most fantastics holidays once island hopping for three weeks - fantastic food - lazy days chilling on the beach - loads of clubs and the most beautiful sunsets to watch on Santorini - hmmmmmm would love to go back one day.

Winchester1

Aug 27, 2012
Downtown Winchester
I honeymooned in Assos - beautiful place, but experienced two earth tremours and I'm not talking about the nuptial type of experience either! Definately try Myrtos Beach if I were you - the white sand and blue sea are absolutely stunning!

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Good afternoon,

3 days to go until I jet off with the gf to Kefalonia. I've been to other places in Greece before, but never here. Any hints or tips for must see places? Hidden gem beaches?

I've got a car for the 2 weeks and am staying at

Hotel Avithos Resort Kefalonia Island Greece | 4 Star Holiday Resort

Wich looks good and has decent reviews.

Yammas!

I stayed here last year, really would not say it was a four star, more an upper class two star. Quite dirty and the food was not the greatest and really grumpy staff. the pool was closed one day a week for cleaning and you have to pay a daily surcharge for sun bed rental. Other than that a great place to stay......

Only kidding, looks great have a good time.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I love Greece - had one of the most fantastics holidays once island hopping for three weeks - fantastic food - lazy days chilling on the beach - loads of clubs and the most beautiful sunsets to watch on Santorini - hmmmmmm would love to go back one day.

couldnt agree more, if it was not for the fact I get a free holiday in the South of France every year (which is also very nice) greek Islands would be were I was heading!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A fair old trek! Will bear it in mind for when I'm down visiting the family next. There and a good Indiam, think its called The Chilli pickle?

Chilli Pickle is very good - a posh indian with some evry very tasty dishes. I preferred the ambience in it's former location, but at least it's easier to get a table now.

Have fun on your holidays....... Lucky b*****d! :thumbsup:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
couldnt agree more, if it was not for the fact I get a free holiday in the South of France every year (which is also very nice) greek Islands would be were I was heading!!

Santorini was the most amazingly tranquil place - sitting on the beach in the evening at sunset with a gorgeous Greek guy and a bottle of fizz probably helped though!!! X mind you sat in my garden today its pretty hot though - I'm just missing two things - a bottle of fizz and a Greek doctor - happy days!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This was the view from the sunbed ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346928376.249206.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Same here but for 5 months mostly cyclades. Did you set foot on Ios? What an island, it was totally nuts about 25 years ago, wonder what its like now.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Same here but for 5 months mostly cyclades. Did you set foot on Ios? What an island, it was totally nuts about 25 years ago, wonder what its like now.

I did - amazing place - I flew to Athens and stayed with this guy's family for a few days and we did all the sights in Athens - and then we got a ferry over to Rhodes and stayed in Faliraki, then went to Rhodes town for a couple of nights, then set off around the islands for threes weeks - finishing off in Santorini for a couple of days before we got the ferry back to Athens, stayed at his mum's and then I flew back.

The greek people were fantastic, the food was superb and the weather was glorious - This was about 25 years ago - I will do it again one day for sure - I am still in contact with him and his family and I would love to go back and see them all.

I met him when he was studying over here - he actually stayed with my mum as a student and was here for two years. Then when he went back I went over for my holiday - then he came back to work here and bought a flat in London which he still has but rents out -had some great weekends up in London - the greeks certainly know how to party. He works over here as an agency doctor occasionally and has been working in Wales and Glasgow and is due back in September so we are hoping that we will meet up at some point as we haven't seen each other for about 10 years and he has yet to meet my little girl!

The islands were beautiful and we had the most amazing time and lots of laughs xxx

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I did - amazing place - I flew to Athens and stayed with this guy's family for a few days and we did all the sights in Athens - and then we got a ferry over to Rhodes and stayed in Faliraki, then went to Rhodes town for a couple of nights, then set off around the islands for threes weeks - finishing off in Santorini for a couple of days before we got the ferry back to Athens, stayed at his mum's and then I flew back.

The greek people were fantastic, the food was superb and the weather was glorious - This was about 25 years ago - I will do it again one day for sure - I am still in contact with him and his family and I would love to go back and see them all.

I met him when he was studying over here - he actually stayed with my mum as a student and was here for two years. Then when he went back I went over for my holiday - then he came back to work here and bought a flat in London which he still has but rents out -had some great weekends up in London - the greeks certainly know how to party. He works over here as an agency doctor occasionally and has been working in Wales and Glasgow and is due back in September so we are hoping that we will meet up at some point as we haven't seen each other for about 10 years and he has yet to meet my little girl!

The islands were beautiful and we had the most amazing time and lots of laughs xxx
Yes, many, many happy memories that I take with me as I knock 50. Mylopotas beach and the Far Out Cafe on Ios.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports