Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Keep Calm and Carry On

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Shocked and somewhat appalled at a lot of the negativity on here after our defeat yesterday on the back of many toys being thrown out of prams after our defeat at home to imho the best promoted side in recent history in Sheffield United.

I'll let it be known that I was dissapointed in the way the club handled itself in the sacking of Hughton so soon after he'd kept us in the promised land of the EPL for another season but GPott has turned me round.

The football we are playing now is easy on the eye, attractive, entertaining front foot football. It's not without its weaknesses but that is to be expected given that GPott has only had one transfer window and is still working with much of the squad he inherited but in less than half an EPL season he's completely turned around the way we play. Facts are points wise we may not be better off than what we were this time a year ago, but lets be honest the points we had accumulated were due to some squeaky, fortunate single goal wins at home and given the performances in those games the results they were producing was unsustainable which was borne out in our points tally in the second half of the season.

Thats not the case now, we are creating many more chances, keeping the ball far better and are generally giving ourselves much more of a chance to win games. I understand there are faults to iron out, we are not as defensively solid as we were and we look vulnerable at times but that is how we play and I am confident in what I have seen in 6 months of GPott that given another couple of transfer windows he can identify players who can improve us and contunie to work on the training ground in further honing and perfecting the new style of play.

Now is not the time for doubts, like Tony has done we all need to get behind GPott and the boys starting tomorrow in a crucial game, it is the time to hold our nerve and I have no doubt the results will follow and we will once again retain our EPL status for another season, doing so in a fashion and style far more enjoyable than what we were getting under Chrissy boy.

:ascarf:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's not funny.

It's all correct, though :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shocked and somewhat appalled at a lot of the negativity on here after our defeat yesterday on the back of many toys being thrown out of prams after our defeat at home to imho the best promoted side in recent history in Sheffield United.

I'll let it be known that I was dissapointed in the way the club handled itself in the sacking of Hughton so soon after he'd kept us in the promised land of the EPL for another season but GPott has turned me round.

The football we are playing now is easy on the eye, attractive, entertaining front foot football. It's not without its weaknesses but that is to be expected given that GPott has only had one transfer window and is still working with much of the squad he inherited but in less than half an EPL season he's completely turned around the way we play. Facts are points wise we may not be better off than what we were this time a year ago, but lets be honest the points we had accumulated were due to some squeaky, fortunate single goal wins at home and given the performances in those games the results they were producing was unsustainable which was borne out in our points tally in the second half of the season.

Thats not the case now, we are creating many more chances, keeping the ball far better and are generally giving ourselves much more of a chance to win games. I understand there are faults to iron out, we are not as defensively solid as we were and we look vulnerable at times but that is how we play and I am confident in what I have seen in 6 months of GPott that given another couple of transfer windows he can identify players who can improve us and contunie to work on the training ground in further honing and perfecting the new style of play.

Now is not the time for doubts, like Tony has done we all need to get behind GPott and the boys starting tomorrow in a crucial game, it is the time to hold our nerve and I have no doubt the results will follow and we will once again retain our EPL status for another season, doing so in a fashion and style far more enjoyable than what we were getting under Chrissy boy.

Well said. We got 14 points from 19 games in the complete relegation-form run second half of last season (with a GD of -19 in those 19 games of mostly complete dross to watch). I'd be staggered if we repeated anything like that.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It’s entertaining for the most part (the Sheffield Utd game certainly wasn't), but we shall be carrying on to the Championship at this rate.

It’s a six-pointer tomorrow and we need to win it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

I thought we played really well again yesterday after the one off which was Sheff utd. Spuds should have lost a player either Winks or Ali but the ref wasn't brave enough the other way round I guarantee he would've been though. We were a header away from 2-0 which would have probably killed the game

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought we played really well again yesterday after the one off which was Sheff utd. Spuds should have lost a player either Winks or Ali but the ref wasn't brave enough the other way round I guarantee he would've been though. We were a header away from 2-0 which would have probably killed the game

Spurs were woeful and we failed to get at least a point. They spanked Burnley 5 -0 the other week. They didn't turn up for us. We were average at best

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Posts discussing our obvious weaknesses and resulting errors are fair comment. It can be done without irrationally deeming Potter a failure.

Yes. I find it extraordinary some of the claptrap spouted yesterday. I genuinely thought some of the posters, with whose œuvre I am unfamiliar, were palarse trolls.

To put my incredulity and disappointment into context, none of the threads even had contributions from Spence :shrug:

I'd be very disappointed if this thread is the ultimate in a Crodo wind-up, but I think he's being sincere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. I find it extraordinary some of the claptrap spouted yesterday. I genuinely thought some of the posters, with whose œuvre I am unfamiliar, were palarse trolls.

To put my incredulity and disappointment into context, none of the threads even had contributions from Spence :shrug:

I'd be very disappointed if this thread is the ultimate in a Crodo wind-up, but I think he's being sincere.

One of those shite stirrers is a Palace troll, but so far he’s getting away with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And the possibility of relegation can be countenanced without wanting to jettison our Graham.

Indeed. The bottom line is anything is possible. My feeling is the reason we are where we are is down to the quality of our players. I know Stephens can be very good, but I can't remember the last time, and I worry when I see a player having the ball nicked off him by someone running up to him from behind with 10,000 people shouting 'look out behind you'. One careless ball out of defence or in midfield can cost a game against many of our opponents. If some players can't stay focused and sharp game in game out they need to be upgraded.

These, BTW are all minor issues compared with CH time, where everyone stayed resolutely behind the ball and, until all the other clubs sussed us out, there was always a chance we might lull the oppos into a stupor and nick something. That's the football equivalent of living on the street and subsisting by ferreting around in the bins. I'd rather have a job and live in a house, even if things do go wrong quite often. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know Stephens can be very good, but I can't remember the last time, and I worry when I see a player having the ball nicked off him by someone running up to him from behind with 10,000 people shouting 'look out behind you'. One careless ball out of defence or in midfield can cost a game against many of our opponents. If some players can't stay focused and sharp game in game out they need to be upgraded.

That lack of concentration extends to Propper, Webster, Montoya and Dunk. Each have made basic errors this season directly leading to killer blows for the Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That lack of concentration extends to Propper, Webster, Montoya and Dunk. Each have made basic errors this season directly leading to killer blows for the Albion.

This can be coached out of only two of them I fear.....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think it's easy to forget that we all thought we were doing really well at this stage last season, so to be close to that is fine. The real difference now is that under Chris Hughton :bowdown: , for all the great stuff he did, we were grinding out results early on and creating very little. That came to haunt us in the second half of the campaign. While I'm also concerned that we're repeatedly not getting what we deserve from games, there's every reason to be optimistic and believe that will improve. Plus our apparently bad run of 1 win in 8 came from a list of brutal fixtures. Everything will look a lot brighter if we put Bournemouth to the sword tomorrow.

It may be touch and go all season, but that's just what it's like when you're in with the big fish...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
And the possibility of relegation can be countenanced without wanting to jettison our Graham.

A tiny part of me (I won't say which) is almost drooling at the thought of that team stuffing Championship sides. But a bigger part is definitely drooling at the thought of stuffing a few more Prem teams.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It’s entertaining for the most part (the Sheffield Utd game certainly wasn't), but we shall be carrying on to the Championship at this rate.

It’s a six-pointer tomorrow and we need to win it.

So, we could go 9th if we pick up all 6 points then!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it's easy to forget that we all thought we were doing really well at this stage last season, so to be close to that is fine. The real difference now is that under Chris Hughton :bowdown: , for all the great stuff he did, we were grinding out results early on and creating very little. That came to haunt us in the second half of the campaign. While I'm also concerned that we're repeatedly not getting what we deserve from games, there's every reason to be optimistic and believe that will improve. Plus our apparently bad run of 1 win in 8 came from a list of brutal fixtures. Everything will look a lot brighter if we put Bournemouth to the sword tomorrow.

It may be touch and go all season, but that's just what it's like when you're in with the big fish...

I think in overall terms, results have been fair. Spuds and Sheff Utd were better than us over 90 minutes, we dropped away after 70 mins at CP and made the fatal mistake of leaving Montoya 1 on 1 on Zaha, we woke up belatedly at Anfield after gifting 2 headers, Andone’s and Mooy’s red cards were our own doing, we left Jeff Hendrick unmarked 20 yards out. If there was an injustice anywhere, it was matched by our happy daylight robbery of Everton.

D

Deleted member 2719

Exactly as I saw it.

Not bothered about us at the moment, as I am sure we will get the points we need, the only slight negative was I saw Mooy drop his head, I understand it, but I hope his mindset is right for Bmuff if he plays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here