Kazim Richards

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Why? Because its the trendy thing to do to say so now? Because you're told that it is by the trendy press? I bet you didn't say that ten years ago.

Completely ridiculous. First of all you say homophobia is as bad as racism, then you say that it's OK to do a little bit of light homophobic ribbing, as long as you don't take it too far. What staggering hypocrisy. Are you saying that, for example, monkey chants and throwing bananas is going too far, but a bit of lift hearted racism, say singing "We can see you throwing spears", would be fine?

Try thinking for yourself instead of repeating things you've read in the Guardian.

Why would i read The Guardian - in fact the only papers i read are the Metro and Evening Standard !!

Its not because of the press that these are my views anyway. Its all discrimination and is/should be treated as bad as each other. "We can see you holding hands" is totally different to saying you take it up the arse, there is a line - and the gestures have crossed it, the aforementioned chant doesnt cross the line as it isnt really homophobic chants is it ? It isnt even in the same league as some of the stuff we get.

Just to make it clear, these chants/actions dont offend me - its just that they arent right.

There is a difference from calling someone fat to saying you take it up the arse. 1 is a lifestyle choice (in most cases anyway) - 1 isnt.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Racial abuse is quite obvious and unacceptable when directed at a black player, a general gay taunt is not actually directed at an individual. There IS a difference in my mind.

We're not gonna agree on this so not gonna let it descend into a binfest.

So on that basis its acceptable to go to an away game some where like Bradford City and shout general racist taunts not directed at an individual, who may actually be largely white

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So on that basis its acceptable to go to an away game some where like Bradford City and shout general racist taunts not directed at an individual, who may actually be largely white

I've heard a few Albion fans trying (and failing) to get people singing "You're just a town full of Pakis" at Leicester once before. By that poster's logic, it's not offensive as it's just a generic racial insult aimed at a largely white crowd :facepalm:

I wonder if, should Colin ever meet Stephen Fry, or Ian McKellen, as two random examples, whether he would make bum gestures in front of them. I would say not, because he knows, despite his evident playground mentality, it would be rude and offensive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone who complains to police after giving someone abuse for 90 minutes who then dares to have a go back is a prick.
Is there any suggestion that those that complained were giving him stick? Not that it matters. Giving someone stick doesn't make it ok to be racist or homophobic towards them. Players get stick at every single football game, but they don't threaten to walk off the pitch - they do when the crowd are being racist towards them, because that's not the same. And that's the case with homophobia too.

I'd love to know how many of these people so terribly offended by this terrible homophobia are actually homosexual.
So non of us should care about homophobia or racism unless we're gay or from an ethnic minority? I want to live in a society where people are treated equally :shrug:

I wonder how many of you spouting this JCL shit actually saw it?
Spouting the shit that homophobia is ok?

I think there is a difference between abusing someones skin colour as opposed to sexuality or calling someone a sheep shagger or a dirty northern bastard - I am sure I will get shed loads for that but its my own personal moral compass.
Your compass needs a service. You probably learnt a long time ago that racism isn't ok, and you probably understand that, but you haven't learnt that homophobia is just as bad. Perhaps you think that if gay people don't like it, they can stop being gay - I don't know, but either way you need to get with it. As for sheep shagger, that's a joke (read on, I'm not done) - the people the joke is aimed at aren't really shagging sheep, and if anyone that does shag sheep is offended, then they should be, it's illegal. As for dirty northern bastards, has anyone ever been offended by that? Plymouth call us that, and we call them soft southern wankers. That genuinely is harmless banter (apologies for saying banter).

I would be interested in the opinion of gay brighton fans as to if they are/were offended by CKR or homophobic chants we get week in week out.
It's not just the fans though, it's young people growing up around the country, finding out about themselves and realising they're something to be mocked.

Saying "we can see you holding hands" is fine - making gestures that you take it up the arse isn't.
It also makes a difference when it's a known famous person doing it for all to see (and therefore acceptable if unpunished) and some randon unknown in a crowd.

Brighton fans spend the entire match attacking CKR and when he responds come bellends report him to the police, we really do have some pathetic supporters dont we... plastics no doubt.
Some Brighton fans gave him stick, not all. Not that it matters. He could have given stick back easily, he could have done a dance in front of the crowd when they scored, whatever, just don't be racist or homophobic, it's illegal.

no doubt you can confirm you witnessed and were offended by the actions of Colin Kazim-Richards on the night in question.
I was there, I didn't witness it, and if I had witnessed it I wouldn't have been offended. I've never been offended by monkey gestures either, but I realise they're wrong too.

Why? Because its the trendy thing to do to say so now? Because you're told that it is by the trendy press?
Did you use this argument when people started to realise that racism isn't ok? It's not trendy for me to be arguing with you about this (arguing on a forum is as untrendy as it gets), but someone needs to tell you idiots or we'll be stuck in the past forever.

Completely ridiculous. First of all you say homophobia is as bad as racism, then you say that it's OK to do a little bit of light homophobic ribbing, as long as you don't take it too far. What staggering hypocrisy. Are you saying that, for example, monkey chants and throwing bananas is going too far, but a bit of lift hearted racism, say singing "We can see you throwing spears", would be fine?
I think that's a fair point.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was that its ridiculous how over a period of time people develop completely different views to the ones they used to have, because of what they are told to think.
You're completely wrong. Children are told what to think, but some are prepared to change their views as they grow up and realise their old values were misplaced.

"It's 2013" they say. Well so what? Just because times change, doesn't mean that they necessarily change for the better.
Not everything does change for the better, some things do. Previous generations were more racist and homophobic, and that's why you're told to get with the times when you're racist or homophobic.
If people thought for themselves instead f just repeating what they are told, the world would be a better place.
Indeed. But just because some of us disagree with you, it doesn't mean we don't think for ourselves.

Nobody seems to be able to take a step back from the whole racism / homophobia / any other ism thing and realise quite how ridiculous it has all become. And there's nothing more sickening than white middle class people being offended on somebody (who they see as lower than them, which is racist / homophobic in itself) else's behalf. It's so patronising its often worse than the racism / homophobia they were supposedly so offended by in the first place.
Well you would think that because you're completely clueless.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Its not because of the press that these are my views anyway. Its all discrimination and is/should be treated as bad as each other. "We can see you holding hands" is totally different to saying you take it up the arse, there is a line - and the gestures have crossed it, the aforementioned chant doesnt cross the line as it isnt really homophobic chants is it ? It isnt even in the same league as some of the stuff we get.

Just to make it clear, these chants/actions dont offend me - its just that they arent right.

Absolutely this.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Eh? My point is, no one CHOOSES to be gay anymore than they CHOOSE to be black. Therefore it's a level pegging in terms of discrimination against it being abhorrent.

This is your belief it is not an irrefutable fact.............there can be many factors that affect an individual's sexuality. Sure genetics is a significant factor however it is not so simple as to say that is the one and only factor. We are complex beings and our sexual preferences and behaviour can change as we get older because of experiences or by environmental factors.........most of us will probably not deviate from our genetically determined path whatever that may be, but for some their genetic switch on sexuality may not be as firmly locked in placers you think. A black man by contrast is a black man.............Michael Jackson accepted.

In theory there should not be a league table in relation to discrimination either, its all abhorrent. However, in practice there are many reasons why homophobia is not the same as racism..........homosexuality may have been against the law here for many years but there was never a homosexual equivalent of apartheid, or slavery, or racial superiority. Racism looms large in our consciousness because of that history.

In the main homosexuals (and in this country in particular) would not have been subject to the same kind of experience that newly arrived black and Asians did, they would have had to be more discreet about their sexuality than they are now..........unless they were in the arts, the Catholic Church or the Tory party...........to try and create equivalence is bunkum.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The best thing about this thread for me is that for the first time EVER, myself, [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION], [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] are sort of in agreement with each other, which has never happened before, apart from on the sniffing Konnie Huq's arse thread of 2007.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How about everyone just stop being unpleasant? Period! Watch the game and support your team? As I thought....not a chance!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I have to be honest and admit I was letting him have the 'fat f***' etc all game. Am I correct in that? Probably not but can't help it. Was he correct? Probably not but how do you prove it? He could say he had an itchy arse or whatever! Am I bothered enough to report it to the OB? No, because IMO they couldn't prove his motives and have better things to do. The abuse he got from us was obviously getting to him, enough to react the way he did, rightly or wrongly. Same old story but I would be happy to take all the shit & abuse from any crowd for £20k a week or whatever he gets!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Is there any suggestion that those that complained were giving him stick? Not that it matters. Giving someone stick doesn't make it ok to be racist or homophobic towards them. Players get stick at every single football game, but they don't threaten to walk off the pitch - they do when the crowd are being racist towards them, because that's not the same. And that's the case with homophobia too.

So non of us should care about homophobia or racism unless we're gay or from an ethnic minority? I want to live in a society where people are treated equally :shrug:

Spouting the shit that homophobia is ok?

Your compass needs a service. You probably learnt a long time ago that racism isn't ok, and you probably understand that, but you haven't learnt that homophobia is just as bad. Perhaps you think that if gay people don't like it, they can stop being gay - I don't know, but either way you need to get with it. As for sheep shagger, that's a joke (read on, I'm not done) - the people the joke is aimed at aren't really shagging sheep, and if anyone that does shag sheep is offended, then they should be, it's illegal. As for dirty northern bastards, has anyone ever been offended by that? Plymouth call us that, and we call them soft southern wankers. That genuinely is harmless banter (apologies for saying banter).

It's not just the fans though, it's young people growing up around the country, finding out about themselves and realising they're something to be mocked.

It also makes a difference when it's a known famous person doing it for all to see (and therefore acceptable if unpunished) and some randon unknown in a crowd.

Some Brighton fans gave him stick, not all. Not that it matters. He could have given stick back easily, he could have done a dance in front of the crowd when they scored, whatever, just don't be racist or homophobic, it's illegal.

I was there, I didn't witness it, and if I had witnessed it I wouldn't have been offended. I've never been offended by monkey gestures either, but I realise they're wrong too.

Did you use this argument when people started to realise that racism isn't ok? It's not trendy for me to be arguing with you about this (arguing on a forum is as untrendy as it gets), but someone needs to tell you idiots or we'll be stuck in the past forever.

I think that's a fair point.

you really are self righteous twerp.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I wonder if, should Colin ever meet Stephen Fry, or Ian McKellen, as two random examples, whether he would make bum gestures in front of them. I would say not, because he knows, despite his evident playground mentality, it would be rude and offensive.

If they were constantly calling him a fat c*nt I bet he might be tempted

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In 0.1% of cases. I carry a bit of lumber, and would not take any jibes about my weight anywhere NEAR as seriously as those about about skin colour or sexual orientation. Of course it's not black and white.
I think you're still missing the point a bit. Neither of us would take jokes about our weight to heart - but some would. The modern way seems to be that if something can be offensive then it IS offensive with no grey area. Ergo no comment about fatties should ever be made as some fatties will get upset. Unless we do put a percentage on it and say "well people with genuine, non-self-inflicted weight problems who are offended by fattist jokes are such a tiny percentage that they're not worth worrying about." Then of course you're into the minefield of how big should the percentage be before it becomes 'offensive'. I guess we can all take the piss out of, say, British lepers of Chinese extraction, as that there can't be many of them!

Or alternatively we can just accept that a young, not-very-bright man when provoked behaved like a complete twat and move on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think you're still missing the point a bit. Neither of us would take jokes about our weight to heart - but some would. The modern way seems to be that if something can be offensive then it IS offensive with no grey area. Ergo no comment about fatties should ever be made as some fatties will get upset. Unless we do put a percentage on it and say "well people with genuine, non-self-inflicted weight problems who are offended by fattist jokes are such a tiny percentage that they're not worth worrying about." Then of course you're into the minefield of how big should the percentage be before it becomes 'offensive'. I guess we can all take the piss out of, say, British lepers of Chinese extraction, as that there can't be many of them!

Or alternatively we can just accept that a young, not-very-bright man when provoked behaved like a complete twat and move on.

Word in his ear by his manager would be enough for me

- - - Updated - - -

Word in his ear by his manager would be enough for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports