Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kazim Richards

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I have gay friends who would find what Kazim did last night amusing and certainly not offended, where as I have black friends who wouldn't find monkey chants very funny.

Take from that what you will... It just seems a lot of people like to jump on the PC wagon purely for the sake of jumping on the PC wagon. There is a difference between banter/taking the piss compared to outright hate. I personally think racism is usually a lot more hate driven than homophobia.

What I take from your post is that in your experience, black people are less sensitive than gay people to prejudice. However, that doesn't make the statement true across the board.

From my perspective, I've witnessed far more examples of aggressive homophobic behaviour than I have racist incidents.

Whim

Sep 19, 2012
For the who believe all prejudice must be equal: they ain't

Particularly:
Likewise, no one has been putting up posters recently calling for me to be executed for gingerness. There are no respected religious leaders telling me that my very existence is sinful and that I'm heading for an eternity in hell. Nobody wishes to bar me from marrying my partner, wherever and however we choose, because she has (peculiarly, I will be the first to admit) fallen in love with a ginger.

(just change ginger to fat)

Yes it's not nice being bullied for anything, but some things come with considerably more sting.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
From my perspective, I've witnessed far more examples of aggressive homophobic behaviour than I have racist incidents.

So Kazim was being aggressive and hurtfull? I don't doubt that there is aggressive homophobic behaviour, but from a football/Amex perspective it is usually light hearted banter that i find very hard to believe people are truly hurt by. It's usually the non gay folk getting offended on behalf of the gay folk (who most probably couldn't give a shit being called a nancy boy by the away fans)

Hate is hate, and is present in racism and homophobic... I really couldn't tell you the statistics of which one is 'more aggressive'

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have gay friends who would find what Kazim did last night amusing and certainly not offended, where as I have black friends who wouldn't find monkey chants very funny.

Take from that what you will... It just seems a lot of people like to jump on the PC wagon purely for the sake of jumping on the PC wagon. There is a difference between banter/taking the piss compared to outright hate. I personally think racism is usually a lot more hate driven than homophobia.

It's not about being offended it's about what the law says is acceptable or unacceptable. It is there to deal with the lowest common denominator, meaning in your example some gay people would be offended and some blacks not, but law isn't established at an individual level.

It really doesn't matter whether we agree with it or not, there's a line of what society (or rather those making and enforcing the law) considers acceptable and if we chose to cross it we have to be prepared to suffer the consequences

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
So Kazim was being aggressive and hurtfull? I don't doubt that there is aggressive homophobic behaviour, but from a football/Amex perspective it is usually light hearted banter that i find very hard to believe people are truly hurt by. It's usually the non gays getting offended on behalf of the gay people (who most probably couldn't give a shit being called a nancy boy by the away fans)

I was speaking generally, rather than with specific reference to last night.

- - - Updated - - -

So Kazim was being aggressive and hurtfull? I don't doubt that there is aggressive homophobic behaviour, but from a football/Amex perspective it is usually light hearted banter that i find very hard to believe people are truly hurt by. It's usually the non gays getting offended on behalf of the gay people (who most probably couldn't give a shit being called a nancy boy by the away fans)

I was speaking generally, rather than with specific reference to last night.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It's not about being offended it's about what the law says is acceptable or unacceptable. It is there to deal with the lowest common denominator, meaning in your example some gay people would be offended and some blacks not, but law isn't established at an individual level.

It really doesn't matter whether we agree with it or not, there's a line of what society (or rather those making and enforcing the law) considers acceptable and if we chose to cross it we have to be prepared to suffer the consequences

Oh, so you don't have an opinion of your own and think what you are told to think? Got it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you are all allowed to abuse him but he gives it back and you all want to report him ??

For fucks sake you lot grow a pair and man up!!

If you can't take it, don't dish it out, doesn't matter who it is !!
Was every member of the crowd chanting racist abuse at him? Obviously not, I haven't heard that one person was. So some of the crowd were calling him fat, and that makes it ok for him to be homophobic to the whole crowd? No. If we were an area with a lot of black supporters, would it be ok for a white player that was on the receiving end of fat jokes to do monkey chants at the crowd? Of course not. Homophobia shouldn't be accepted, he should definitely be reported.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The hilarious reaction of 'get a grip' or 'you're so precious' is ridiculous yet worringly common.

If you see something offensive you do not have to be offended by it personally to deem it inappropriate (perhaps illegal). I have never reported any racism in my life previously (admittedly I don't recall ever witnessing an incident) and don't consider myself one of these people that enjoys jumping on a bandwagon but I would have felt compelled to speak up about CKR's actions had I seen them anywhere. Having seen them in the ground last night there isn't really a way I could have legally confronted him and explained how immature and ridiculous his actions were (presumably plenty of others, especially any gay people, would have found them offensive too) so the best way is for me to report to the relevant authorities.

It doesn't make me/anyone else 'precious'. I frankly couldn't give a toss if someone celebrates in front of me if they score if I've given them stick all game, everyone goes home and gets on with their lives but what CKR did last night, for me, was far beyond that. He received (certainly from my area of the ground) little or absolutely no 'abuse' before the incident beyond a few boos and comments that he's put on a few stone. Even if he had done it wouldn't have excused his actions.

Hopefully in a few more years the attitude of those who apparently feel bigger about themselves for shouting down others who decide to report incidents will have softened and people won't be concerned about the outcomes of merely reporting an incident.

Couldn't have said it better. And the reason why I have reported it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Cant believe some people on here - comes across from some that its worse to call people fat than it is to make homophobic gestures to the crowd about taking it up the arse.

Im not offended in the slightest, nor did i see it (did see the WSL in the South get angry at a couple of places to a assume thats when he did it) - but if he did do this, then he certainly is a massive idiot, hopefully it was just done in the heat of the moment - even then it still isnt right.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Oh, so you don't have an opinion of your own and think what you are told to think? Got it.

Quite the opposite I have got an opinion on this and lots of things. But the law doesn't centre around my opinion, if it did then believe me our world would look a different place. Nor do I behave in a way that ignores the law and what I can and cannot do ... I might not always like it but the alternatives aren't particularly appealing, and if you are accusing me of being generally law abiding then I guess you'd be right

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
If anyone has reported the "incident" have they had a response from anyone ?

What is the chance of him being investigated ?

The police are investigating already according to the club/police liaison officer on twitter. I recall someone also posted here that the FA, PFA and both clubs are looking into it.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Which just goes to illustrate how ignorant you actually are.

Deary me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a precious bunch we are. Give a player shit and I would EXPECT him to give it back, love it myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here