Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kaz substitution

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
March was supposed to have a run out during the week but that didn't materialise. Planning to give him 15 minutes or so today if the opportunity arose was a good ploy IMO. We just needed to see how he was faring, and to be honest I reckon he's booked his place for next week. I wouldn't blame the result on March not being 100% fit; it's more to do with the organisation, or lack of it, across the whole team.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
If Solly wasn't capable of lasting a significant time, then one wonders why McCourt was not on the bench instead? Unless he's injured?

I thought at the time of his injury Fulham were carving through our midfield rather well and Ince was brought on to try and counter this. It seemed pretty clear when the teams were announced that we were short in central midfield and this was proved to be the case.

This is what we were thinking immediately before KLL picked up the injury. There was an early tactical decision to be made on how to address Fulham's increasing dominance in midfield and FWIW I too thought bringing on Ince was the right thing to do even though our midfield, as a unit, continued to be pretty dysfunctional.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was clear his race was run. There needed to be decisive action. I thought Ince coming on was understandable, but if Solly has been showing that form in training it should have been him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is what we were thinking immediately before KLL picked up the injury. There was an early tactical decision to be made on how to address Fulham's increasing dominance in midfield and FWIW I too thought bringing on Ince was the right thing to do even though our midfield, as a unit, continued to be pretty dysfunctional.

One wonders what the scouts watching the next opponents are reporting as this was obvious before kick off. We desperately need an enforcer in midfield like Bridcutt who wasnt in Sunderlands squad yesterday, for whatever reason.
Ince is the nearest thing to this type of player but a million miles away from what is needed.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Point is, when a player is obviously badly injured and looks like he might have to come off, you tell his replacement to start getting ready. There was no communication.

They did all that. Saw Ince, Baldock and March doing Rock, Paper, Scissors while it was going on.

How else do you explain Ince coming on?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I'm in the ESL and was right in front of the whole thing.

He went down, signalled to the bench, at the next break the physio was on and got him off the pitch. Kaz told the physio he was done but the ref waved him back on. He was then subbed.

Either the ref or the physio didn't do his job, Kaz was quite clear about needing to come off.

yes i was in ESL and it was clear that kaz didn't want to go back on, the physic was talking into his headpiece and the bench seemed to do nothing until kaz went back on and started rolling his hands and falling over. i presume there was procrastination about who to bring on and then warm him up.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The whole saga left me baffled. sami didn't have a clue what to do. which sub which sub........Bugger. ....Ince your do......we were playing well with 2 natural wide men and blow me down we bring on a centre mid......With Solly on the bench and change the whole nature of the game. strange

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Solly was knackered after 5 minutes. He played really well for the 5 he wasn't, then he was awful after that.
were you at the game? he made us look like a football team for the whole time he was on. And if he is only going to be fit for 5 mins then he should not be in the squad. paddy should be.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
were you at the game? he made us look like a football team for the whole time he was on. And if he is only going to be fit for 5 mins then he should not be in the squad. paddy should be.

Yes, and the first 5 he was absolutely superb. After that he was completely knackered, his passing was especially woeful due to the onset of fatigue. His match fitness is obviously low, and if anyone thinks he should've replaced Lua Lua on 30 odd minutes then they're just wrong. The only thing that could've done was just injure him further. And I don't think he should've been in the squad. Has he played for the U21 yet since his injury? And if so, how long?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The whole saga left me baffled. sami didn't have a clue what to do. which sub which sub........Bugger. ....Ince your do......we were playing well with 2 natural wide men and blow me down we bring on a centre mid......With Solly on the bench and change the whole nature of the game. strange

I agree. It did completely change the match. We had dominated the game until Kaz came off - we'd started really positively with all those early corners and looked a real threat. Ince seemed a strange replacement - but what concerned me most was that the bench hadn't even considered that KLL might have to come off, despite the fact that anyone on the other side of the pitch could see it was a real possibility. And why did the physio let him come back on when he had just tried to get up and collapsed? Could potentially have aggravated the injury.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the mistake was to bring on Ince and change the formation rather than Baldock and tell him to chase the ball wide. Couldnt understand why he then put Bennett over on the left with Colunga and left he right hand side empty with just Bruno in there.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
According to the commentators on the highlights, it was Jones who told KLL he had to stay on (despite the fact he could barely walk).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
According to the commentators on the highlights, it was Jones who told KLL he had to stay on (despite the fact he could barely walk).

Then Jones was a bloody idiot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I've worked it out.

We attacked right from the off, and went at them like looneys.
We played without a holding midfielder, and pretty much 3 wide men.
We had Bent in the side, therefore Sami assumed we would score.
I'll hazard a guess Sami was expecting 2-0 by half time, we certainly had the chances to make that happen, while Stockdale was a passenger.

At that point, off comes one wide man, for Ince or Holla.
Then as the game progresses off comes another for the other one.

We see out the victory with a League Cup Spurs mentality, which for a team seemingly reluctant to hold onto a lead, could have been a masterstroke.

It all fell apart with Kaz coming off before we got the lead.

I APOLOGISE FOR THIS POST NOT BEING ANTI-SAMI.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But you never know what will happen. Not fully fit subs is too risky in my view. Solly is not the player to us that the other you mention were.

I don't think Solly is even the player some of us may a think. A fine prospect, but away so long that many have forgotten how poor his final ball often is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here