Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice for the 96!

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
As we sit down in our seats tonight to watch the Mighty Albion take on the historically proud Liverpool how many of us will actually remember the reasons we sit in a fantastic stadium???

Ok so we had our home sold from under our feet and was left homeless for years but there is another factor to the superb facilities we now treasure.

15th April 1989 changed the fans view of football in regards to how we now get to watch our teams play, Hillsborough!!
:down:
96 Fans that went to watch there team play just like we do every saturday.

The families of these 96 still have a lot of unanswered questions and anybody who witnessed the incidents on Television footage and documentaries will realise it was not just a case of fans forcing they way in to the stadium.

Tonight we should be proud to sit in our comfortable seats and remember those 96 who tragically lost their lives

I know that if a member of my family lost there lives in such tragic circumstances i would want to know the real facts to give me some peace.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

Who will sing along as fans in a united community watching the game we love in the new stadium we love?

We got so much support from Fans United, maybe its time to keep united and make a little repayment by supporting another important cause.

:amex:

I for one will, who will join me?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I want to tread carefully here ...

Spadge, obviously Hillsborough should never be forgotten - and nor should the Heysel Stadium disaster or the Valley Parade fire. I didn't realise that not all the real facts about Hillsborough have come to light; what do you think remains hidden? And what justice are you after? To my, admittedly not in-depth knowledge, no one comes out of it with any credit (although initially too much of the blame was heaped onto the the Liverpool fans), but I wasn't aware that there were still some major unsolved grievances.

One thing on which I DO take issue - I disagree that all-seater stadia were a 'good' thing to come out of Hillsborough. To me they're still contrary to the spirit of football.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
How about the goverment reports of which a petition was lodged to Downing street ( required 100'000 signatures ) requesting realise of the files. The government have agreed to release the files but only after they have vetted them and removed any they donbt want to release.

Now can me a synic but if your going to release the files surely you shoudl release all of them not just the few you fancy?

new Government enquiries were ordered to see if there was a case for criminal prosecutions (undertaken
by Lord Justice Stuart-Smith); television documentaries and academics have alleged a systematic police
cover-up (written evidence from junior officers to the Taylor enquiry was altered by superiors, for instance);
and until 1999, Sheffield Wednesday refused to erect a memorial at the ground to the victims (leading to
Liverpool fans boycotting Hillsborough in season 1998-99). Finally, in 2000, families of the victims brought
a private, civil prosecution against Duckinfield and his deputy Bernard Murray, for manslaughter.
Murray was acquitted, but the jury were unable to reach a verdict in the case of Duckinfield, and the
judge prevented a re-trial. Nonetheless, the two Hillsborough groups (the Hillsborough Family Support
Group, and the Justice for Hillsborough campaign) remain determined to pursue the truth of what happened
that day. Over a decade later, Hillsborough remains a highly controversial issue, with its effects most
obvious at every stadium in the country.

Google Hillsborough and look at the wikipedia page for a full understanding or the official part which includes details of the taylor report

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Going back to may main link i only wanted to know who was willing to sing along offer support to those families, not a full depate on hillsborough. :(

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I support Spadge here

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
As we sit down in our seats tonight to watch the Mighty Albion take on the historically proud Liverpool how many of us will actually remember the reasons we sit in a fantastic stadium???

Ok so we had our home sold from under our feet and was left homeless for years but there is another factor to the superb facilities we now treasure.

15th April 1989 changed the fans view of football in regards to how we now get to watch our teams play, Hillsborough!!

The families of these 96 still have a lot of unanswered questions and anybody who witnessed the incidents on Television footage and documentaries will realise it was not just a case of fans forcing they way in to the stadium.

Tonight we should be proud to sit in our comfortable seats and remember those 96 who tragically lost their lives

I know that if a member of my family lost there lives in such tragic circumstances i would want to know the real facts to give me some peace.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

Who will sing along as fans in a united community watching the game we love in the new stadium we love?

We got so much support from Fans United, maybe its time to keep united and make a little repayment by supporting another important cause.

Justice for sure,but tell me,what has it got to do with tonights game? or am i missing something here?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Justice for sure,but tell me,what has it got to do with tonights game? or am i missing something here?

I think you'll find we're playing Liverpool! :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

I'm out!:nono:

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Maybe we should tell every one to forget Fans United and wearing green to the Leeds and Palace games!?!

I am not that fickle and will support other teams causes if there worth while

Justice for the 96 and keeping Plymouth in excistence are definately worth supporting!

Jeez if every fan had the attitude of some then would we be sitting in out nice new stadium now? i dont think so in MHO!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Its the past, of course the events on that day sadden everyone, however I'm not sure what singing that at a football match will achieve? I do agree there probably are some unanswered questions but certainly don't want any of this at tonights game, lets get behind our team.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Going back to may main link i only wanted to know who was willing to sing along offer support to those families, not a full depate on hillsborough. :(

To be fair, starting a thread called 'JUSTICE FOR THE 96!' it should be pretty obvious where the conversation would lead...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
As much as I feel for those who lost loved ones in the Hillsborough tragedy, I do feel it is time to move on. In my opinion a lot of people have blood on their hands and I do include the police and a small minority of Liverpool fans in this statement.

I do also wonder if anyone has stopped to think whether the report might not actually put an end to the suffering and actually paint certain people in a very bad light and I don’t just mean the police by the way.

Hillsborough was in my opinion the catalyst for major changes in modern football which has made the football experience a safer and more pleasant one. I know many people, myself included pine for a return to all seater stadiums but there can’t be many people who would want to return to the dark days of football. Sometimes good comes out of a tragedy, Hillsborough being a good example of this.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm not sure what singing that at a football match will achieve?

Well this is the key question. I am entirely in support of the Plymouth "Go Green" campaign, for the reason that it will bring attention to their plight, which may in turn make a difference. People will suddenly be aware who weren't aware before.

What is singing about Hillsborough tonight designed to achieve? If it's designed to increase the voice on national TV, bring more attention to it and make it impossible for the government to refuse to release the files, then great - let's all stand together (as Paul McCartney would say).

If it's to start a debate/argument about it, then I'm not interested tonight, tbh.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Maybe we should tell every one to forget Fans United and wearing green to the Leeds and Palace games!?!

I am not that fickle and will support other teams causes if there worth while

Justice for the 96 and keeping Plymouth in excistence are definately worth supporting!

Jeez if every fan had the attitude of some then would we be sitting in out nice new stadium now? i dont think so in MHO!

I think you are being a tad sensitive there Spadge. I think most, if indeed not all, on here support the Justice for the 96 campaign. However I think that LABHA was just asking what is the relevance of this fixture to the campaign, it is not an anniversary, there has been no pre-match publicity or requests for support for the campaign to further a particular aspect of it at this game.

I'm pretty sure if we had been approached by the Hillsborough campaign to support an action this evening then people would have been receptive to it. Just coming on here and trying to lay a guilt trip on people isn't going to get you anywhere. You may have noticed that not only are we distracted by an important week of league fixtures including one against our most hated rival, we are also involved in drumming up publicity for a national campaign on behalf of somebody else. So please forgive us if people do not respond to your request.

If you are to comment further I suggest you think before you do and keep the comments calm and do not do a disservice to worthy work of the Hilsborough Justice Campaign (even if i disagree with the families approval of all seater stadia). I agree that the files should be released and signed the petition demanding it so please do not come on here lecturing us about how to support worthy footballing causes.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
As previously stated with the petition going to Downing Street and the fact out lovely new stadium is on Sky tonight there is a small link! If it wasnt for the Taylor report i can guarentee you we wouldnt be sitting in a £90 million all seater stadium! Would of probably been a £25 million stadium with 15000 terrace capacity and a few seats for the supper rich!

Loving the fact were happy to receive support when we needed it but none to offer back because its Liverpool and its there problem!

Think i will join the fickle and keep the green at home and not support the Plymouth cause then.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Spadge

Care to give us a little background on yourself?

You join September 2011, post 6 times almost all on Hillsborough, except when you got excited about where Liverpool's training session is happening.

I wonder if you are actually a closet red/JFT96 activist, pretending to be an Albion fan?!

If so, why not be straight with us?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am not that fickle

'But I only joined the forum THIS month and I can already try to start controversial threads and criticise other contributors by my 5th or 6th post'.

Go away, calm done, and come back later with something useful to add to the debate.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Excellent post!

DTES it is to highlight it, i am not saying we as Albion fans should start singing it, just if the Liverpool fans do should we join in?

I am not saying lets sing you'll never walk alone! definately not!

But i will sing to support the campaign!

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
They have got the commons debate in October the truth will come out one day.

Why clearly some pool fans might have helped during the circumstances that day. The rest has been hush hush. Esp the guardian report asking police officers to edit there statements

seagulls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here