Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just what was Brentford's gameplan?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seemed like they were just trying to get to the last few minutes a goal down to give them a chance of snatching a point.

For much of the second half if you didn't know the score, you'd think we were a goal down trying to get back into the game, not that Brenford were trailing.

Or are they just really shit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seemed like they were just trying to get to the last few minutes a goal down to give them a chance of snatching a point.

For much of the second half if you didn't know the score, you'd think we were a goal down trying to get back into the game, not that Brenford were trailing.

No answer to RdeZ’s tactical genius

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We were absolutely there for the taking tonight. An absolute scratch team with players so clearly out of position. I know they had some injuries too but they got what they deserved - f*** all. We deserved the win and were clearly so so so under strength - oh well - they missed the opportunity by having no balls and we did. Thank you RDZ and all the brave players who believe in him. Bonus 3 points.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes, I thought it was strange that they played so deep when they were 2-1 down - often 11 men in their final third.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
They thought they'd score again from a set piece as most other teams seem to do on a regular basis,they had no alternative way of playing,get as many fouls in our half as possible cross it in and hope for the best,I can't think they had any other plan,if they did then they didn't use it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought for parts of the second half, if you didn't know the score you'd think we were 5-0 up waiting for the final whistle to go.

Perhaps their game plan relied more on Mbuemo, and when he went off injured they lost their way a bit, allowing us to control the game and was generally just about staying in it. We have shown to have a soft defence, as long as you don't get blown away by us, you will have a chance to snatch something. To be fair, they had some passage of play where they had the ball for a while and looked dangerous. But for a Hinshelwood goalline clearance, they would have gotten an equaliser.

But you can plan to do something until the cows come home, if you're opponents don't let you have the ball or stifle you, it's going to look like you don't have a plan.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well, I think it’s a case of that old Mike Tyson quote: “Everybody got a plan ‘til they get punched in the mouth”.

The general idea was to sit deep and knock it over the top into our channels - which RdZ prepared for by playing Baleba behind the back four. Their backup plan is to win set pieces and “get it in the mixer”.

As the game went on, it became clear they had nothing else to offer (they are as badly injured struck as us) and had lost their best player in the first half already. They had nothing on the bench to change the game.

By about 70 minutes they were gassed, and if we had made better choices with the final ball could’ve easily made the game a lot more comfortable.

They did have a plan, it simply didn’t work on the night against a much better side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

They're as decimated as us with injuries. While their best XI is not far off ours, I don't think they have the depth. It really showed. I was worried that they might snatch something as Albion just didn't put the game to bed. But they offered so little at the end. It should have been a lot easier but it never is against a Frank side.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Brentford had two realistic approaches - press high with long passing balls - or sit deep and mark man for man - they don’t have a short-passing game so weak in the MF. They were more open in the first half but I would suggest the main problem for them was Baleba‘s sweeping role (very effective but compensating for not having Dunk?) , Hinshelwood playing almost box to box and frequently playing very high out of position, Gross moving backwards and forwards vertically from CMF to CAM, Mitoma cutting in again and again and doing overlaps with Gross - our shape was too fluid on and off the ball and so we were just too difficult to mark and creating too much space to run into - they were playing catch up the whole time. They are probably the hardest hit team in the PL with injuries at the moment and their best hope was to get us on set pieces - with Norgaard out on suspension and Jensen out, then losing Mbuemo, they put up a brave show but were outplayed in every area. By us.

Baleba’s flexible sweeper role won’t be a new idea for RDZ - I’m sure he would have been familiar with the Serie A master of the type of defence Baleba played tonight

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, I think it’s a case of that old Mike Tyson quote: “Everybody got a plan ‘til they get punched in the mouth”.

The general idea was to sit deep and knock it over the top into our channels - which RdZ prepared for by playing Baleba behind the back four. Their backup plan is to win set pieces and “get it in the mixer”.

As the game went on, it became clear they had nothing else to offer (they are as badly injured struck as us) and had lost their best player in the first half already. They had nothing on the bench to change the game.

By about 70 minutes they were gassed, and if we had made better choices with the final ball could’ve easily made the game a lot more comfortable.

They did have a plan, it simply didn’t work on the night against a much better side.
Spot on

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I couldn't understand why they took so long taking goal kicks. Seemed like they were timewasting but didn't make sense. Erm, you do you you are 2-1 down!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They were missing almost as many first team players as us. Can't read too much into that game.

Norgaard was the big miss for them, he is the one that makes them tick. It'd be like us losing Pascal. Funnily enough, he was suspended as he picked up a fifth booking of the season for 'timewasting' from our old pal Taylor, for taking eight seconds over a throw in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was what it was :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They were missing almost as many first team players as us. Can't read too much into that game.

Norgaard was the big miss for them, he is the one that makes them tick. It'd be like us losing Pascal. Funnily enough, he was suspended as he picked up a fifth booking of the season for 'timewasting' from our old pal Taylor, for taking eight seconds over a throw in.
As you rightly say Norgaard was a big miss, he's their primary playmaker. Without diminishing Gross's contributions, I'd say Norgaard is an even more vital cog for them. We have more creative players to call upon - they clearly don't.

So anyway, I was delighted Norgaard was suspended for our game for timewasting, considering the way they utterly SHITHOUSED their way to the points up at their place last season. They were at Forest / Villa / Fulham levels that night. Macked me right off, that result. Especially as their talisman and goalscorer shouldn't even have been playing, if the FA had got its finger out its arse.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
As you rightly say Norgaard was a big miss, he's their primary playmaker. Without diminishing Gross's contributions, I'd say Norgaard is an even more vital cog for them. We have more creative players to call upon - they clearly don't.

So anyway, I was delighted Norgaard was suspended for our game for timewasting, considering the way they utterly SHITHOUSED their way to the points up at their place last season. They were at Forest / Villa / Fulham levels that night. Macked me right off, that result. Especially as their talisman and goalscorer shouldn't even have been playing, if the FA had got its finger out its arse.
They weren’t missing 12 injured players and 2 suspended, , 14 players could not start last night

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think you called it right there.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They weren’t missing 12 injured players and 2 suspended, , 14 players could not start last night
Yeah, I think MOTD said 6 or 7 players. I am glad I am not a Brentford fan, because without the odd break, all they offer is a kind of Graham Taylor football with high balls lofted into the box. Horrible to watch, even their goalie was at it from free-kicks in their half. It hurts my eyes.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was weird.

It wasn't as if they were having a lot of joy with long goal kicks.
Igor and JP had them pretty much covered.

And then they started pretending they were going to play out with 2 players either side of the keeper, and still launched it, leaving fewer players competing for an knock downs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here