Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just want to say hello

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Whats the craic?

I have a bit of a story to tell I hope it's no hassle for yous reading it, just wish to get some advice :)

I should be moving from here to Brighton next year (September) to study/work basically get a new life lol things are pretty grim here in Ireland and I want to start afresh.

First off I was wondering if anyone on the forum is attending the two universities or the City College? If so, what are your thoughts?

Secondly, whats the part time work situation looking like in Brighton? I'd imagine its tough enough but I read the unemployment rate there is something like 5% which is brilliant tbh, defo gonna need a job while I'm there.

Thirdly, are there many Irish over there? I don't really care about who comes from where and all that nationalistic crap I'm a mix of four nationalities myself but just for the sake of past experiences do any of you know people who did the same thing I'm hoping to do?

Lastly, while I'm here I wouldn't mind becoming an Albion supporter and attending matches, now I know you're probably cringing reading that sentence haha but I love watching live football and if I'm going to be living there and going to some games I'm obviously gonna develop some affection for the club :D

Cheers for reading and I'm glad to be here :) go easy on me lol

As a young male student you could probably earn a few bob down at Dukes Mound in the evenings:whistle::albion2:

Last edited:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I think that you'll have a great time here, and as other posters have said if you have a good work ethic and can string a sentence together there are jobs to be had. There has been a growing number of young Irish in the city over the last few years for obvious economic reasons, which is the first spike since the early 80s. If you scratch the surface there are a lot of older first and second generation Irish here like me and my extended family, but I'm sure the best thing you'll find is meeting young people from all round the world who congregate here because it's a great place to live. Oh and the Amex is awesome, and it's great having a couple of Paddies in the team!

Garfunkaal

Sep 25, 2013
Co. Wicklow
I think that you'll have a great time here, and as other posters have said if you have a good work ethic and can string a sentence together there are jobs to be had. There has been a growing number of young Irish in the city over the last few years for obvious economic reasons, which is the first spike since the early 80s. If you scratch the surface there are a lot of older first and second generation Irish here like me and my extended family, but I'm sure the best thing you'll find is meeting young people from all round the world who congregate here because it's a great place to live. Oh and the Amex is awesome, and it's great having a couple of Paddies in the team!

Thanks man, that was a very productive post :)

I think it's a bit of a hidden gem here in Ireland most just automatically think London when you say England to them. And of course throughout history, Liverpool, Manchester etc.

But Brighton is definitely a hidden gem !

Whats the craic?

I have a bit of a story to tell I hope it's no hassle for yous reading it, just wish to get some advice :)

I should be moving from here to Brighton next year (September) to study/work basically get a new life lol things are pretty grim here in Ireland and I want to start afresh.

First off I was wondering if anyone on the forum is attending the two universities or the City College? If so, what are your thoughts?

Secondly, whats the part time work situation looking like in Brighton? I'd imagine its tough enough but I read the unemployment rate there is something like 5% which is brilliant tbh, defo gonna need a job while I'm there.

Thirdly, are there many Irish over there? I don't really care about who comes from where and all that nationalistic crap I'm a mix of four nationalities myself but just for the sake of past experiences do any of you know people who did the same thing I'm hoping to do?

Lastly, while I'm here I wouldn't mind becoming an Albion supporter and attending matches, now I know you're probably cringing reading that sentence haha but I love watching live football and if I'm going to be living there and going to some games I'm obviously gonna develop some affection for the club :D

So you are not local then?:moo:

theboybilly

Welcome, you mentioned finding work in the retail industry. Well in Shoreham (6 miles out of the City) we're getting a) a Lidl store very soon and b) a Morrisons in 18 months. Even living in Brighton it should be an easy commute by cycle as it's all flat along the coast cycle route. You might try each company's website for careers. There are loads of pubs in Brighton that will have vacancies for bar staff and a number of superstores/retail parks within a few miles. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about the opportunities in the area.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Whats the craic?

There's plenty out the Albion, in my row of 10 there are 5..they drink in various places around the Station and in The Lectern for the big Celtic games while the Fiddlers Elbow won the most pints of Guinness sold in the World outside Ireland on Paddys day once...

Garfunkaal

Sep 25, 2013
Co. Wicklow
Hey all,

Went to the town for my interview in the City College :) Went well, got a really good vibe about the place, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. And the weather was class!

No luck yet regarding the job situation, any advice with this? Any retail jobs going in the city centre that I could enquire about? How about the Albion shop? haha.

Anyways, anyone on here attending the City College? what are the success rates for getting into Uni after?

I'm so worried about not making friends haha which I know is silly thinking, but still. Are there discounts for students at Albion games? and lastly, are there any pubs in the area which are geared towards the more vocal albion supporters?

Thanks all, sorry about all the questions!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hey all,

Went to the town for my interview in the City College :) Went well, got a really good vibe about the place, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. And the weather was class!

No luck yet regarding the job situation, any advice with this? Any retail jobs going in the city centre that I could enquire about? How about the Albion shop? haha.

Anyways, anyone on here attending the City College? what are the success rates for getting into Uni after?

I'm so worried about not making friends haha which I know is silly thinking, but still. Are there discounts for students at Albion games? and lastly, are there any pubs in the area which are geared towards the more vocal albion supporters?

Jobs are going at the new training ground at Lancing.
Railway Bell plus a couple of others next to the railway station.

Hey all,

my son just finished at city college and going to uni in sept,other son just starting at city college in sept:moo::moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here