Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can guarantee it by knowing something about what I'm talking about. The BMA is the British Medical Association. It's a union for doctors and is supposed to represent them (pretty crap at it in my opinion but that's nothing to do with it). It doesn't strike doctors off because it can't. The GMC (General Medical Council) is the body responsible for keeping a register of doctors with a license to practise in the UK. They might strike him off, although I suspect this is a battle they know is best avoided, but I might be wrong. They've made some very strange decisions in the past so who knows.
Of course it is. I’m a Wally apologies.

However, the GMC should take it forward for the reasons stayed in my previous post. I would also suggest that perhaps the BMA may consider their response.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Of course it is. I’m a Wally apologies.

However, the GMC should take it forward for the reasons stayed in my previous post. I would also suggest that perhaps the BMA may consider their response.
Fair enough, but see my comment above as well. Protesting as they are might be illegal, although I don't know the technicalities of this new law against protesting (but is another crap policy of this appalling government in my opinion). However the idea that this sort of protesting is worse than allowing climate change with the associated death and destruction forecast by scientists (people who know what they're talking about and are basing their opinion on evidence/science) is one of the most bonkers things I've ever heard. And we are all allowing it (even if it's only a tiny bit on an individual level) by carrying on and not protesting.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I just hope they don’t escalate their violent attacks. Throwing powder paint around is annoying and mildly dangerous, but the real concern would be full blown assaults or the use of more dangerous weapons.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough, but see my comment above as well. Protesting as they are might be illegal, although I don't know the technicalities of this new law against protesting (but is another crap policy of this appalling government in my opinion). However the idea that this sort of protesting is worse than allowing climate change with the associated death and destruction forecast by scientists (people who know what they're talking about and are basing their opinion on evidence/science) is one of the most bonkers things I've ever heard. And we are all allowing it (even if it's only a tiny bit on an individual level) by carrying on and not protesting.
It’s not about the protesting it’s the ‘how’.

Everyone knows (or should do) the issues around climate change. Perhaps they should continue their protests in countries that are contributing more.

Do you think they are actually achieving anything other than alienate people and potentially distort their own message?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Everyone knows (or should do) the issues around climate change. Perhaps they should continue their protests in countries that are contributing more.

Do you think they are actually achieving anything other than alienate people and potentially distort their own message?
Just Stop Oil’s cause is for the UK government not to give out any new licences to companies wanting to drill for oil.

How would protesting in a foreign country help with that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just hope they don’t escalate their violent attacks. Throwing powder paint around is annoying and mildly dangerous, but the real concern would be full blown assaults or the use of more dangerous weapons.
Don’t be hysterical, it undermines your debate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just Stop Oil’s cause is for the UK government not to give out any new licences to companies wanting to drill for oil.

How would protesting in a foreign country help with that?
Fair enough.

But whilst I take your point, if they are looking to make a significant difference, wouldn’t you target greater contributors?
Perhaps extend their cause?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is from 2019 but lists Tory MPs taking over £1M in donations from fossil fuel companies. We are still paying the highest energy bills in the world, especially the standing charges, and the Tories are trying to remove or discredit renewables.

I wish more people were protesting!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Rubbish!
Is rugby more posh ?
Thousands of ordinary folk are involved in rugby.
Than snooker? Yes, obviously.
But to be honest that comment was more call back to the thread on when they protested at the World Championships and somebody on here claimed it was to disrupt a sport followed by rich, white haired people like bowls, which I found amusing.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fair enough.

But whilst I take your point, if they are looking to make a significant difference, wouldn’t you target greater contributors?
Perhaps extend their cause?
Not really any point preaching to the rest of the world if you can’t clean up your own doorstep. :shrug:

A lot of attitudes in the UK need to change and people need to stop hiding behind percentage contributions to worldwide global carbon emissions when considering making lifestyle changes.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Oh come on, I was discussing a particular point about the doctor being struck off/ not struck off. In answer to the rest of your post see jonny.rainbow's post.
Clearly these protests are causing a lot of disruption and I don't know if they're achieving anything. I agree there is an argument that it might alienate people but what have alternatives to protests achieved over the last 20-40 years? People have been left with no alternative. I'd much rather than wasn't the case, but it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh come on, I was discussing a particular point about the doctor being struck off/ not struck off. In answer to the rest of your post see jonny.rainbow's post.
Clearly these protests are causing a lot of disruption and I don't know if they're achieving anything. I agree there is an argument that it might alienate people but what have alternatives to protests achieved over the last 20-40 years? People have been left with no alternative. I'd much rather than wasn't the case, but it is.
Are they causing a lot of disruption?

They appear to be getting maximum coverage with minimal disruption while shining a light on everything that's wrong in our little piece of the planet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you mean apart from halving CO2 emissions, near eradicating coal, generating 24GW from wind? dont know why the steps we've taken keep getting understated.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Question for all the people advocating the criminal actions of the ‘protesters’ - it’s a yes or no reply - nothing more - yes or no?

Would you be OK if your relative / partner / parents etc were having a stroke and in an ambulance and held up because of the actions of one of these criminals on the roads for example?

Again, it’s yes or no… intrigued to see if any of them can answer correctly.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
you mean apart from halving CO2 emissions, near eradicating coal, generating 24GW from wind? dont know why the steps we've taken keep getting understated.
We've made good progress, but we're still a major emitter of CO2 on a per capita basis. And, because we manufacture so little in this country, our carbon footprint is understated. The thing is, we all know that to have a chance of survival we need to limit warming to around 1.5 degrees (above pre-industrial levels). We're already pretty much at that level, and therefore we need to make sure we don't mine more coal, or issue more licences for gas and oil exploration. Issuing more licences is incompatible with our commitments at COP26. Just Stop Oil's protests can be annoying - but if the Government listened to its own advisers they would change course, stop issuing new licences, and JSO would go away. Personally, I'm very happy that thousands of people are willing to risk arrest (and significant financial sanctions) to try to help avoid the disaster which will befall us all. I'm 60, and I live in a relatively wealthy western country. I don't really need to worry for myself. But I worry for my kids, and I worry for the lives of billions of people who will inevitably be hugely impacted by climate change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here