Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Some helpful information for the Albion Staff.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No ta, too rigid and pretty easy to play against when the opposition sets up with a 3 in the middle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
---------------------------Stockdale

---Bruno-------Hughes----- Dunk------ Bennett

Kayal/Ledesma--Ince--Stephens-Lua Lua

---------------o'grady/best-------
-------------------------------------Balldock---------

The 4-4-2 formation is one of the most commonly used in the world game.
It is an adaptable system that gives teams strength in midfield and plenty of width. The role of central midfielders and full-backs, particularly, can change depending on how much emphasis a team is putting on defense or offense.

Full-backs are given more of an attacking role in this system than in years gone past.

The 4-4-2 formation is effective because it can be adapted based on whether a team is setting out to attack or defend.

Continue Reading Below (actually best not bother).
Yep, it's amazing CH and Calderwood haven't thought of this before.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Mate its not the Dog & Duck in sunday league. They're professional footballers who train all week. They know how to play in formations other than 442. And the point being made is valid - 442 makes you very vulnerable in midfield if (as most teams do) the opposition play any variation on 5 in midfield, because you're outnumbered and there will be space in between the lines. Ipswich showed that - Ince was controlling things between defence and midfield, and Tex was taking the piss in the pockets of space behind the striker.

I don't completely disagree that 442 has its merits, but if your post is intended to show some tactical nous that highly paid professionals apparently lack, you'd have done better not to have suggested playing Kayal right wing, a half fit Stephens to start, or having copy/pasted your apparently expert tips from an online laymans guide. Just a thought.

Did you go to their Sheffield Wednesday game. Looked like Sunday league to me. Bloody disgrace. I'm merely pointing out that something needs to change and why not give 442 a go! or should we carry on with what we are doing?

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Pulis sets his teams up quite defensively usually with 2 def mids and 1 up top. But it all depends on the opposition. Whilst he does occasionally use 4 4 2, to suggest this is the only way he sets his teams up is just too simplistic and pandering to the unfair stereotype.

He uses it when he wants to find out about his team. interview last week. When teams are losing he always goes back to 442!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It would be glorious if, just for one match, the formation and team was picked by NSC vote. I'm fairly certain that absolutely no-one would be entirely happy with the result (except for Kemy, who'd have someone/something new to blame).

And Paddy as it would be the only way he would get into the team.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He uses it when he wants to find out about his team. interview last week. When teams are losing he always goes back to 442!

You are kind of back tracking here. He very rarely sets his teams up to play 442. He did start with 442 against Spurs and lost 3 0. I don't think he's reverted since that game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here