Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen on Sky Sports (not Albion related)

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Surely any tax due to be paid on season tickets will be paid in the quarter that the payment is received? I can't imagine the club working out the pro rata income per match and then paying the tax on a match by match basis?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
so when a club does a groupon bogoff offer or lets kids in for free how come their attendance jumps by a few thousand? Does giving the tickets away class as selling them?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone remember in the days at the goldstone when "allegedly" the gates were fiddled to show less income. I remember one game against Cambridge when it was announced by Ron Pavey that the gate was around 8000 and everyone agreed that it was at least 12,000 with most areas full.

It was almost the opposite of what is happening now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They have to declare the amount of revenue received to the HM revenue and customs, not how many bodies came through the gates; a club could have had a 'special offer' and let in a couple of thousand school kids for free. The attendance at the ground is different from the revenue received.

I would have thought that for tax and VAT purposes the club have to declare the number of tickets sold and paid for rather than the actual attendance through the gate and then pay the dues on that figure

Now I know some people on here argue for the sake of arguing but aren't you two saying the same thing ???

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Surely any tax due to be paid on season tickets will be paid in the quarter that the payment is received? I can't imagine the club working out the pro rata income per match and then paying the tax on a match by match basis?

I'd imagine that it is accrued over the season to which it relates. You wouldn't treat the season ticket holder that pays up front differently from the one that pays monthly. They both pay for a service which is delivered for a period of time from an accounting perspective.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Only on NSC can people get so uptight about a subject in which both can be right. There is nothing wrong in saying the "gate" (i.e. the amount of tickets sold) is 27,000, equally it's fine to say today's attendance is 23,000 if that is the amount of attendees. Personally, I feel it's up to the club how you they choose to announce this. If I was selling tickets to an event I think I'd prefer people to perceive it was more popular than maybe it was.

If I were the club I'd be more focused on what could be next year's attendance than this given our current plight.

#binthefinn

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
so when a club does a groupon bogoff offer or lets kids in for free how come their attendance jumps by a few thousand? Does giving the tickets away class as selling them?

Yes. Its ultimately the number of tickets issued - whether they are sold for £100 or £0

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Yes. Its ultimately the number of tickets issued - whether they are sold for £100 or £0

So if a club wanted to look good on average attendances and still look like a big club *cough*LEEDS*cough* at 3.01pm on a saturday they could walk up to anyone and give them a voucher for the 7000 unsold seats in the ground and report the game a sell out lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here