Just how rich IS Bloom?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
this issue has been covered before and it will continue to be covered until there is some sort of credible answer. i recall once some posited that he is fronting a consortium of Arab investors. thats pretty damn far fetched but frankly just as credible as posters who chip in with a wink and " i know he's worth x", its just speculation. its odd in the football community where we are ready to post rumours of players joining, that no one has been able to point to a few companies or operations out there that people can say "thats Bloom's".

http://www.starlizard.com/

http://www.endole.co.uk/profile/479758/anthony-grant-bloom

Last edited:

When you say well before are you saying "from 1997"? If so what source as this is new to me. I would be surprised he bankrolled it but didn't have control.

In the early years at Withdean, Tony Bloom was paying bills to keep the Club afloat. The family was biding its time, though, until it looked right to spunk loads on taking the Club forward. That time only came when planning permission had been given for Falmer. Once that happened (and the Blooms played only a small part in achieving that), it was chocks away and the Club started to fly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
May be just me but I find open discussion of TBs possible wealth on this forum a bit distasteful. He's evidently a very astute businessman who can afford to do what he is doing and unlikely to leave himself destitute doing it, and has the club's best interests at heart. That's enough for me.

As regards secrecy surrounding any numbers, this is entirely normal with the super-rich. It's not that difficult to achieve.

I think that it is a case of supporters of BHA never having had an owner as wealthy as TB or if so, prepared to put the money in the club so are a little concerned that it can .continue and that he is in a position to continue. I think he can and will and it will be boredom rather than finance that makes him quit when he does.eventually.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In the early years at Withdean, Tony Bloom was paying bills to keep the Club afloat. The family was biding its time, though, until it looked right to spunk loads on taking the Club forward. That time only came when planning permission had been given for Falmer. Once that happened (and the Blooms played only a small part in achieving that), it was chocks away and the Club started to fly.

Thx. And what a journey

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No you doughnut. During the Withdean days. This has been flogged to death so many times.

Someone's wealth is private if they want it to be.

A good friend of mine who I see two or three times a week is worth at least 80 million but no one would hazard a guess. For one he likes me!

I like your posts but I'm worth the square root of **** all since my divorce x

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
'It must also be noted that every transfer deal is 'undisclosed fee' so obviously he likes to deal secretly without showing his wealth.to all in sundry.

I would love my bank statement to show 2 less 0 than his at the end of the balance figure.

Errr.......take a look at the club's cash flow statement and intangible asset note in the accounts and you can quite easily work out how much has been spent on players.

The reason why the club has kept the information secret usually under TB is to stop other clubs knowing how much we have spent. This helps when negotiating for new deals although is less of an issue in the 'relaxed' version of FFP in which we now exist.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think that it is a case of supporters of BHA never having had an owner as wealthy as TB or if so, prepared to put the money in the club so are a little concerned that it can .continue and that he is in a position to continue. I think he can and will and it will be boredom rather than finance that makes him quit when he does.eventually.

Why would he quit though as he's a fan?

You don't stop supporting the Albion until you stop breathing IMO.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone else would've stepped up as he wasn't the only consortium although the best....Not many biggish clubs go bust or has any biggish club gone bust?
Someone will always step in unless it's a very small club :)
He took over and did what was needed at the time although he was rather amateurish and had an ego and he couldn't wait to change our beloved round badge into a tacky crest...Christ that was awful.

Were you around at the time? We almost dropped out of the league at a time when we had no stadium. Nobody would have stepped in. Dick Knight was unique.

As for TB, he kept under the radar so we did not get soaked by the poly over land sales, and other things. He has more than enough dosh. Read about his very exclusive betting company a while ago? Amazing story.

Anyway, its rude to talk about money when in the company of vast amounts of it. Our issues are on the pitch - which is nice. I'm happy with that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was an independent appeal though - run by TLO and other stalwarts. How did Dick Knight getting desperate cause it to blow up? Clarification appreciated!

I know off one well known supporter who pulled out as he didnt agree with the distribution of funds raised but that is all history lets look forward.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Martin Perry dealt with the falmer planning while dick smoked his pipe:wink:
Who do you think funded the planning process of falmer?
You'll find it was within the final debts paid by bloom...I know you worship knight and are a great servant as a fan,but bloom deserves more credit than you give him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Were you around at the time? We almost dropped out of the league at a time when we had no stadium. Nobody would have stepped in. Dick Knight was unique.

As for TB, he kept under the radar so we did not get soaked by the poly over land sales, and other things. He has more than enough dosh. Read about his very exclusive betting company a while ago? Amazing story.

Anyway, its rude to talk about money when in the company of vast amounts of it. Our issues are on the pitch - which is nice. I'm happy with that.
Yes I certainly was around and on here pal....Yes we nearly got relegated and apparently nearly went bust,but we didn't and how many biggish clubs have gone bust since time began?none

Many will presume we would've gone bust,but let's be honest the chances were minuscule.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who was it gave £1m to help pay the bills and it was said that he paid that for a car parking space at Withdean?

Incidentally BHA wouldnt have folded there was at least 3 consortiums in negotiations with Archer to buy the club but DK was the most acceptable to the owners, obviously gave them best returns. What followed is now history, onwards and upwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports