Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from Cardiff

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't remember any real chants on Saturday apart from a vague memory of 'Sing up Brighton in the seats' which made me laugh because there were only about 10 people sitting down.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I would agree that the ref was abysmal. The concept of playing advantage seemed totally alien to him.

It would have been better if that were true. He played an advantage allowing you to carry on and hit the post - leading to the penalty.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Was it at about that time that you were sitting / sulking on the terrace?

Yes, that would have been about then. I even thought about having a little nap to be honest.

Uncle Buck said:
Now you see the problem here, if it is said that Mayo was at fault, that might be considered as criticising the team and that is just not allowed.

No, away fans criticising our players is expected and welcomed. It's when some Brighton fans spend more time criticising Brighton players than your average ****** fan does that eyebrows get raised.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
London Irish said:
No, away fans criticising our players is expected and welcomed. It's when some Brighton fans spend more time criticising Brighton players than your average ****** fan does that eyebrows get raised.

Especially when they're not a season ticket holder. THEN they have no right...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

I guess the problem with that sentiment is one person criticism is anothers observation. Saturday there were few positives to come out of our performance and worrying lack of communication between our keeper and defence. That is my observation of it, but some may see that as critical.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
DTES said:
It would have been better if that were true. He played an advantage allowing you to carry on and hit the post - leading to the penalty.

Did he? I wasn't aware of that. Good on him!

The two incidents that stood out for me was the one during the first half when a couple fo players got tangled up near the halfway line before Langley burst clear, only for play to be stopped and brought back 15 yards for a Cardiff free kick.

The other was that ridiculous occasion in the second half when the ref played advantage, Inamoto shot just wide, and then the ref gave us another go with a free kick.

He wasn't the best, and it was interesting to read Race's Saturday night 'Ask Tank' thread, when she told us that Butters and Kavanagh spoke about how bad the ref was in the tunnel BEFORE the game! That says plenty.

Last edited:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
The ball ended up about three yards behind Langley after Mayo had shunted him out of the way! A reckless challenge to say the very least.

I'd say instinctive and accidental rather than reckless. If as a defender you see the ball cannon off the bar and come towards you, your focus of vision will be fixed on it and you will instinctively move towards it. That's all Kerry did, unluckily he touched your guy in doing so and the ball sailed over both their heads. I'm willing to bet that if the ball had dropped in between them, and Kerry had won the header, a fair shoulder challenge would have been ruled by the ref, Cardiff fans would have jumped up and down a bit and the game would have carried on......

.......the ball would have gone upfield, Mayo would have hit an inch perfect pass and MARK MACCAMMON would have lashed it home. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

OK, getting a bit carried away now but you get my drift.

Uncle Buck said:
I guess the problem with that sentiment is one person criticism is anothers observation. Saturday there were few positives to come out of our performance and worrying lack of communication between our keeper and defence. That is my observation of it, but some may see that as critical.

No, that's an insightful comment, constructively made. But if you'd have said Yelldell is a shit player who'll never be good enough to play for the Albion, we might have seen another "half-term" discussion break out.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
No, that's an insightful comment, constructively made. But if you'd have said Yelldell is a shit player who'll never be good enough to play for the Albion, we might have seen another "half-term" discussion break out.

I do not think Yelldell is a shit player, he is inexpierenced and is probably not the correct player for us at present, however we needed a keeper. If this Remi whatever his name works out, I suspect Yelldell will not be here beyond this month, but it is a big if.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
I'd say instinctive and accidental rather than reckless. If as a defender you see the ball cannon off the bar and come towards you, your focus of vision will be fixed on it and you will instinctively move towards it. That's all Kerry did, unluckily he touched your guy in doing so and the ball sailed over both their heads.

Oh do behave!

Mayo instictively moved towards the ball and touched Langley as the ball sailed over their heads? Are you having a laugh? What actually happened was that Mayo charged into the penalty area like a rhino on rollerskates, clattered into the back of Langley and gave away an obvious penalty.

Even you are allowed to be wrong now and again, LI. Believe it or not.

Ah, bolix. Langley went down on him quicker than your sister on a night out in Tiger Bay.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
not having seen the incident - my view is not clouded by facts *ahem* - but if you go into the back of someone in the penalty area you are asking for trouble, and the attacker is well within his rights to go down - rather than make every attempt to stay on their feet.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Ah, bolix. Langley went down on him quicker than your sister on a night out in Tiger Bay.

Neither here nor there, you make contact like Mayo did in the box then you're going to be in trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here