Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just for fun: If we'd gone up, who would you have liked us to sign?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think he's one of our weaker signings, but Arsenal, Charlton, Portsmouth and West Bromwich were all Premier League teams at the time, so you're wrong in that regard.

Jeez, I completely forgot that Charlton were a Prem team. So he already has three relegations on his CV then? Number Four looks promising.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I think he's one of our weaker signings, but Arsenal, Charlton, Portsmouth and West Bromwich were all Premier League teams at the time, so you're wrong in that regard.

Most of his appearances are in the Championship. If you think he's anything better than that you're deluded. A good Championship player though :)

Syph

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
What length contract is he on?

2 years. We've either made longterm (3-4yrs) or shortener signings, depending on the player and the likelihood of whether they will stay at the end of the season. Parish said last night that 2/3rds through the window, the philosophy changed to making an excellent Championship side, which can 'have a go' in the Premier League. I think we've achieved that. If or when we are relegated, we can then reevaluate the squad.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
2 years. We've either made longterm (3-4yrs) or shortener signings, depending on the player and the likelihood of whether they will stay at the end of the season. Parish said last night that 2/3rds through the window, the philosophy changed to making an excellent Championship side, which can 'have a go' in the Premier League. I think we've achieved that. If or when we are relegated, we can then reevaluate the squad.

Sounds a little defeatist. Does explain the players you've purchased though.
So, the big earners (Chamakh, Puncheon etc) are gone at the end of the year regardless of where you finish?

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Quite funny seeing you lot take the piss out of our squad when we've just beat Sunderland 3-1 without the likes of Jimmy Kebe, Jerome Thomas, Adrian Mariappa, Adelene Guediora, Cameron Jerome and Barry Bannan - All of whom I'd say are better quality than some of the 11 who played in that game :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite funny seeing you lot take the piss out of our squad when we've just beat Sunderland 3-1 without the likes of Jimmy Kebe, Jerome Thomas, Adrian Mariappa, Adelene Guediora, Cameron Jerome and Barry Bannan - All of whom I'd say are better quality than some of the 11 who played in that game :)

And Sunderland have been doing so well.......

albionite

May 20, 2009
Established Premier League club, and games we have to win if we're to have any chance of staying up :)

What's your excuse with Millwall? :D

What has established got to do with it? They are one of the favs to go down and you only beat them once they went to 10 man. Silly nigels now thinking they are going to stay up because they have had one win. I doubt I will see you again after the next few defeats.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Established Premier League club, and games we have to win if we're to have any chance of staying up :)

What's your excuse with Millwall? :D

Don't have any excuse. We didn't win but should have done.

PS - and I don't have a "problem" with you beating Sunderland. I can't stand Paolo di Canio. I think "established" might be a bit strong for Sunderland's premier league Status.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
What has established got to do with it? They are one of the favs to go down and you only beat them once they went to 10 man. Silly nigels now thinking they are going to stay up because they have had one win. I doubt I will see you again after the next few defeats.

Man Utd away up next, so you wont see me for 3 weeks at least.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well, Jedinak can't run or pass so I'd back that up yeah.

I've looked him up now:
2001–2004 Arsenal 0 (0)
2002 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 4 (1)
2002 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 6 (2)
2004–2008 Charlton Athletic 103 (7)
2008 → Portsmouth (loan) 1 (0)
2008–2009 Portsmouth 2 (0)
2009–2013 West Bromwich Albion 99 (11)
2012–2013 → Leeds United (loan) 6 (1)
2013– Crystal Palace

Wow, what a career!
Judging by appearances, he's actually mostly played outside of the Premier League.
22 league goals in 12 years for a midfielder is appalling.

What a stupid comment about the amount of goals he has scored. Hes a defensive midfielder. Does that make Bridcutt shit because he has only scored 2 goals in about seven seasons?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What a stupid comment about the amount of goals he has scored. Hes a defensive midfielder. Does that make Bridcutt shit because he has only scored 2 goals in about seven seasons?

???

Jerome William Thomas[1] (born 23 March 1983) is an English footballer who plays for Crystal Palace predominantly as a left winger, but can also operate centrally

Syph

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
Sounds a little defeatist. Does explain the players you've purchased though.
So, the big earners (Chamakh, Puncheon etc) are gone at the end of the year regardless of where you finish?

Chamakh is a 1 year, with a further year option if we stay up. Puncheon is a loan (season long), but may but up for a move if we stay up.

I don't see it as defeatist, but rather sensible. You don't want a bunch of players who don't want to drop a division, high wages and being vulnerable to forced sales. I'd rather have the foundations of a team for either league, knowing that we can add the necessary quality in the close season.

The reality is that attracting players to promoted teams is hard. Cardiff spent 30 million on around 3-4 players, who may or may not deliver (they aren't big names at all). Hull too have struggled in my opinion. You either spend a load or try and be a little cleverer. We'll only know whether we have pulled it off at the end of it all, but - in any event - the club should be safeguarded for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here