[Misc] Just finished playing junior Monopoly and just wondered..............

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I remember a blazing Christmas row when someone threw three doubles and I said they had to go straight to jail which was challenged. Unfortunately it wasn’t resolved all Christmas, they had lost the rules. :)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
We used to play that, but no more.

On Xmas Day, on the very first go, my eldest threw 7 to land on Chance, and drew an "Advance to Mayfair" card. On his third or fourth go around he landed on Park Lane.

It was a short game.

PS "Junior Monopoly" (see thread title) is a different game - and great fun for little ones.

Another vote for Junior Monopoly, great kids game.

I used to love the Mayfair/Park Lane combo, but actually by far the best tactic I have found is the light blues, pinks and oranges - any combo of those, even the two brown streets. Houses and hotels can go up on the browns/blues for just 50 'm', which is an insane return. Mayfair etc are 200m, and whilst it's usually game ending when someone lands on them, by that point you are probably already competing with other scary landlords. The cheap ones are 100% the better tactics, get the houses up ASAP and cripple the other players. Ruins every evening, perfect.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mrs Chopper was given a very special Wrigleys version of Monopoly that the company had specially made for some company anniversary, I think only 500 were made, it is unopened and perfect.
Should be worth a few bob in years to come.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Enjoyed a cracking game of MASTERPIECE yesterday.

Sold the £1,000,000 painting to the bank and a forgery to my ex-sister-in-law for £400,000... won by miles - very happy.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We used to play by those monopoly rules from the OP, is it just a local thing or did those from other parts of the country use those rules as well?

When I was a kid, my parents had this game called careers https://www.amazon.com/DaMert-Company-66-Careers-Board/dp/B000YUYX5E

Anyone else remember this?

I have Careers (though the box is different to the one in your link) and still play it with Mrs Sully occasionally.

Great game that I discovered whilst staying at a friend’s during the summer holidays when I was about 8.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
How many of us aged 40+ ever actually played by all the rules? An Xmas family favourite but can recall loads of commonly accepted rules that were never in the game. Almost house rules.

1. You couldn't buy anything on your first lap of the board. Not in the rules.

2. Free Parking cash payout. All fines and taxes paid out as result of Chance/Community Chest cards were put in the middle of board. If you landed there you scooped the lot. Again not in the rules.

3. When you are in jail you can't collect rentals if someone lands on any of your properties. Again not in the rules which indicate that the only obvious restriction is that you can't move around the board.

4. When someone goes bankrupt all their property goes back to the banker and players need to land on again to be able to buy. The cavalry rules indicate that all assets should simply be passed over to the creditor. No wonder the game could last so long!

5. And here's the big one! The official rules state that when a property is landed on, and that player does not want to buy it, that property goes to auction. Meaning someone can buy the property for less than it's worth. As man and boy I don't know anyone who ever applied that significant rule.

For all this we still loved the game albeit it could go on for hours. Did you have any different local house rules? Or maybe you did auction any unowned property that was landed on?

As an aside I the junior version I bought my 7 year olds has been an Xmas favourite and really easy to play. Next year maybe I should buy them the king of board games ...........Escape from Colditz! :)

I hate Monopoly with a vengeance, but Escape From Colditz was a superb game, which I'm guessing may now fall foul of our PC society ...

On the theme of board games past, I used to love the horse racing game Totopoly...

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/totopoly

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I'm a bit of a board game geek. I have plenty of new ones, but the old ones I have are:

Monoply
Careers
Buccaneer
Totopoly
Escape From Colditz
Business (aka Mine a Million)
Scoop
North Sea Oil
Game of Life
Formula One

Used also to have Swindle and Ratrace.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
How a game of monopoly normally ends:

3F45CA46-E36C-4C2E-BABB-C3CED2383806.jpeg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm a bit of a board game geek. I have plenty of new ones, but the old ones I have are:

Monoply
Careers
Buccaneer
Totopoly
Escape From Colditz
Scoop
North Sea Oil
Game of Life
Formula One

Beat the Black Ball, Haunted House and The Fastest Gun. All 70s classics.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had a go at playing the new Cheaters addition the other day. We gave up, as not all of us could be arsed to learn the new rules. Looks like it could be quite good though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Monoply
Careers
Buccaneer
Totopoly
Escape From Colditz
Scoop
North Sea Oil
Game of Life
Formula One

How about Poleconomy?

Used to play that a fair bit with mates when younger. Got quite competitive.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
How about Poleconomy?

Used to play that a fair bit with mates when younger. Got quite competitive.

Never played that. When we got to our midteens, the houserule in Ratrace was when you got to the racecourse/gambling Square, we'd break out the cards and play a round of poker.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How many of us aged 40+ ever actually played by all the rules? An Xmas family favourite but can recall loads of commonly accepted rules that were never in the game. Almost house rules.

1. You couldn't buy anything on your first lap of the board. Not in the rules.

2. Free Parking cash payout. All fines and taxes paid out as result of Chance/Community Chest cards were put in the middle of board. If you landed there you scooped the lot. Again not in the rules.

3. When you are in jail you can't collect rentals if someone lands on any of your properties. Again not in the rules which indicate that the only obvious restriction is that you can't move around the board.

4. When someone goes bankrupt all their property goes back to the banker and players need to land on again to be able to buy. The cavalry rules indicate that all assets should simply be passed over to the creditor. No wonder the game could last so long!

5. And here's the big one! The official rules state that when a property is landed on, and that player does not want to buy it, that property goes to auction. Meaning someone can buy the property for less than it's worth. As man and boy I don't know anyone who ever applied that significant rule.

For all this we still loved the game albeit it could go on for hours. Did you have any different local house rules? Or maybe you did auction any unowned property that was landed on?

As an aside I the junior version I bought my 7 year olds has been an Xmas favourite and really easy to play. Next year maybe I should buy them the king of board games ...........Escape from Colditz! :)

Escape from Colditz! Now we played that for hours….one guy would always be the commandant and would keep calling a roll call….annoying ****.

What about Campaign. We would spend weeks playing that game……

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports