Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Just Eat - don't bother

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
well, it involved a 700 back from shoreham high st after a few sherberts. I got chatting to a homeless guy in the bus stop who got on the same bus, and as we got along he offered me one of his tinnies. Very decent chap, well spoken, ex-forces, not a complete shambles appearance-wise. So on a warm summers evening i asked him back to my garden for a couple of beers, whilst making it clear we wouldn't be putting him up for the night. I've gone up and put some shorts on as it was steaming hot.

Had a pleasant hour or so of interesting convo and a couple of cigars, before he set off to get his bus along to brighton to his shelter. But then, after he'd gone - i couldn't find my wallet, anywhere. And i only leave it in 2 places, it was in neither. She'd already gone to bed, and i was not prepared to tell her my wallet was missing (after it was my idea to have him back - i knew the grief that would involve). So i phoned the banks and just cancelled everything, writing off the £70-£80 cash i had in it.

The following afternoon, i fish my jeans out of the drier and there's loose cards rolling around everywhere. Unbeknown to me, she's given him a tenner then put my wallet back in my jeans. I've then washed them not knowing my wallet was in the pocket.

I feel a bit bad because i was cursing that fella on monday night and most of tuesday, although i thought it weird (in my mind) that only my wallet was missing and not phones etc, which were lying around the house. Anyway, a lot of aggro but alls well that ends well i suppose.

What a palava. Thanks for staying with it, folks.

:lolol:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it involved a 700 back from Shoreham High St after a few sherberts. I got chatting to a homeless guy in the bus stop who got on the same bus, and as we got along he offered me one of his tinnies. Very decent chap, well spoken, ex-forces, not a complete shambles appearance-wise. So on a warm summers evening I asked him back to my garden for a couple of beers, whilst making it clear we wouldn't be putting him up for the night. I've gone up and put some shorts on as it was steaming hot.

Had a pleasant hour or so of interesting convo and a couple of cigars, before he set off to get his bus along to Brighton to his shelter. But then, after he'd gone - I couldn't find my wallet, anywhere. And I only leave it in 2 places, it was in neither. She'd already gone to bed, and I was not prepared to tell her my wallet was missing (after it was my idea to have him back - I knew the grief that would involve). So I phoned the banks and just cancelled everything, writing off the £70-£80 cash I had in it.

The following afternoon, I fish my jeans out of the drier and there's loose cards rolling around everywhere. Unbeknown to me, she's given him a tenner then put my wallet back in my jeans. I've then washed them not knowing my wallet was in the pocket.

I feel a bit bad because I was CURSING that fella on Monday night and most of Tuesday, although I thought it weird (in my mind) that only my wallet was missing and not phones etc, which were lying around the house. Anyway, a lot of aggro but alls well that ends well I suppose.

As I have said before, you are the Hunter S Thompson of NSC. I don't know how you do it, I really don't. Achieving that perfect mix of drink and drugs is well beyond my apothicarian wherewithall :bowdown:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've only used them twice before and they were very good - delivered within about 20-25 and it was HOT. No complaints.

Tonight was a total write-off though. As I snottily left on their feedback - if you haven't got the drivers then DON'T TAKE THE ORDERS. I won't be using them again, there's just no way of knowing if its going to arrive. And there's nobody to speak to, not like you can call someone up.

Lesson learned.

Staff decimated by pings on that NHS App, no doubt, along with a huge number of other service and leisure industries equally badly affected. The cause? Covid 19. Any pr@t that tells you different is ... err.... welll, making a bit of a pr@t of themselves.
The online ordering process is probably automated, so probably they could have/should have done something about that. Service will get back to normal sooner or later no doubt. I've never had any problem with Just Eat - but then again, I've always made my own late night sarnies/other snacks for myself when I've had the munchies!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, it involved a 700 back from Shoreham High St after a few sherberts. I got chatting to a homeless guy in the bus stop who got on the same bus, and as we got along he offered me one of his tinnies. Very decent chap, well spoken, ex-forces, not a complete shambles appearance-wise. So on a warm summers evening I asked him back to my garden for a couple of beers, whilst making it clear we wouldn't be putting him up for the night. I've gone up and put some shorts on as it was steaming hot.

Had a pleasant hour or so of interesting convo and a couple of cigars, before he set off to get his bus along to Brighton to his shelter. But then, after he'd gone - I couldn't find my wallet, anywhere. And I only leave it in 2 places, it was in neither. She'd already gone to bed, and I was not prepared to tell her my wallet was missing (after it was my idea to have him back - I knew the grief that would involve). So I phoned the banks and just cancelled everything, writing off the £70-£80 cash I had in it.

The following afternoon, I fish my jeans out of the drier and there's loose cards rolling around everywhere. Unbeknown to me, she's given him a tenner then put my wallet back in my jeans. I've then washed them not knowing my wallet was in the pocket.

I feel a bit bad because I was CURSING that fella on Monday night and most of Tuesday, although I thought it weird (in my mind) that only my wallet was missing and not phones etc, which were lying around the house. Anyway, a lot of aggro but alls well that ends well I suppose.

If only [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] was still posting, to provide us with the ‘counter-thread.’

Especially the bit where you go upstairs before reappearing in the garden wearing a pair of Andrew Ridgeley-style shorts…

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Staff decimated by pings on that NHS App, no doubt, along with a huge number of other service and leisure industries equally badly affected. The cause? Covid 19. Any pr@t that tells you different is ... err.... welll, making a bit of a pr@t of themselves.
The online ordering process is probably automated, so probably they could have/should have done something about that. Service will get back to normal sooner or later no doubt. I've never had any problem with Just Eat - but then again, I've always made my own late night sarnies/other snacks for myself when I've had the munchies!

Yeah I reckoned it was probably a ping thing. But leaving punters high and dry after ordering isn't good enough. If a message came up saying delivery might be 2 hours or so then fine, you can make your choice. But for it to still give a 20-40 minute online estimate, when they must know full well they can't fulfil it ? Sorry, thats just shithouse.

So you end up hungry, annoyed, and have to piss about with a convoluted chatbot system in order to cancel it and get a refund. Pathetic service.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If only [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] was still posting, to provide us with the ‘counter-thread.’

Especially the bit where you go upstairs before reappearing in the garden wearing a pair of Andrew Ridgeley-style shorts…

Mmmmmmincing round the garden in my tighty-whities

What a time to be alive.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Mmmmmmincing round the garden in my tighty-whities

What a time to be alive.

“Alright mate? You’re back to the shelter late tonight. Where’ve you been?”

“I’d rather not talk about it if that’s okay.”

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The wearing of tight white shorts and charitability are not binary opposites.

If that was the case many of the telethons broadcast during the 80s and 90s would have been reported to the broadcast regulators.

On that basis I'm not in a position to judge, but I have made a note.

Used twice, never again.
First time I had a £10 off first order by so I thought couldn't go wrong. Order took about an hour but needed to go to 2 different shops so was okay. However the fish and chips were stone cold.
Left it six months and tried again and I swear you could not make it up . It was late in evening. Ordered a Chinese with egg fried rice and they delivered plain rice and a curried egg. Now I'm no coniser but I don't recall ever seeing curried egg in a Chinese restaurant. I binned it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On a serious note my daughter went to her mate's for a play date a couple of weeks back and the mum decided to get them a Maccys on Just Eat. They are in darkest Portslade and I know the OP is in a similar area. Almost exactly the same experience. 90 minutes to get a driver assigned before the food turned up stone cold. Cue two very annoyed 10 year old girls.

However, I've seen countless drivers for both JE and Deliveroo literally hanging around the flesh pots of Boundary Road waiting for work.

The moral of the story is that if you are in or near the Slarde it's highly unlikely there's a driver hanging round Holmbush or Western Rd who wants to come all the way to you and back. Persuade your Doris that KFC or Athena B are the way forward and all will be sweetness and light. Apart from the tighty whities and the homeless bloke, obviously.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
On a serious note my daughter went to her mate's for a play date a couple of weeks back and the mum decided to get them a Maccys on Just Eat. They are in darkest Portslade and I know the OP is in a similar area. Almost exactly the same experience. 90 minutes to get a driver assigned before the food turned up stone cold. Cue two very annoyed 10 year old girls.

However, I've seen countless drivers for both JE and Deliveroo literally hanging around the flesh pots of Boundary Road waiting for work.

The moral of the story is that if you are in or near the Slarde it's highly unlikely there's a driver hanging round Holmbush or Western Rd who wants to come all the way to you and back. Persuade your Doris that KFC or Athena B are the way forward and all will be sweetness and light. Apart from the tighty whities and the homeless bloke, obviously.

Outside KFC now is nuts - forget climate crisis or Covid, we’re going to obesity the human race out of existence!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Outside KFC now is nuts - forget climate crisis or Covid, we’re going to obesity the human race out of existence!!

A different friend's kids have christened that place "Kids Fattening Club".

Seriously, though, I know people like their favourites and this is the Doris and not Easy himself, but on that road alone you have about 4 kebab joints, KFC, three chippies, a curry house, Joe's Burgers, Wimpy, Madam Eat and they'll even delveroo you cold food and booze from the M&S Garage on the seafront :shrug:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Indeed, I had the joy of working in Sarfend on Sea last week and took a drive down the seafront at Lunchtime in search of a pub so I could have a nice cool beer. There weren't any which amazed me although I found a perfectly decent 'Spoons away from the seafont (The Elm if you are ever in Chavland) but Jesus Christ the state of the people waddling about. :mad:

Lets just say if you do migrate to Southend you won't go bust if you have a Kebab/Chippy/Fried Chicken/Pizza joint and to top up your income you open a tattoo parlour. :ohmy:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

A different friend's kids have christened that place "Kids Fattening Club".

Seriously, though, I know people like their favourites and this is the Doris and not Easy himself, but on that road alone you have about 4 kebab joints, KFC, three chippies, a curry house, Joe's Burgers, Wimpy, Madam Eat and they'll even delveroo you cold food and booze from the M&S Garage on the seafront :shrug:

Not even the need burn 100 calories walking to get this shit anymore!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

There is just so much to like about this story - but the fact that your better half was so taken by the chap's story and situation, that she felt compelled to give him a tenner out of your wallet was the icing on the cake for me :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Used twice, never again.
First time I had a £10 off first order by so I thought couldn't go wrong. Order took about an hour but needed to go to 2 different shops so was okay. However the fish and chips were stone cold.
Left it six months and tried again and I swear you could not make it up . It was late in evening. Ordered a Chinese with egg fried rice and they delivered plain rice and a curried egg. Now I'm no coniser but I don't recall ever seeing curried egg in a Chinese restaurant. I binned it.

The sliding scale of delivered take away food has to be:-

Pizza.

Chinese
Curry.

KFC

Burgers

Fish and chips.

I'm sorry but that screw up is entirely on you.

You either are close enough to get your own fish and chips or you have something else.
To expect anything other than a cold mess of grease is naive in the extreme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here