Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just came back from Goldstone Retail Park

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
First time i've been there for 12 years since I saw it being demolished.I was trying to piece together where everything used to be.Very strange to be back and so many memories.I promised I'd never go back but now that Falmer is on it's way it was quite nice to just be in the area.Anyone else done anything similar recently?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, picked up a tumble dryer from there yesterday, had a bite to eat in Burger King and for added poignancy saw kids with Man Utd, Chelsea and Thierry Henry Barcelona tops and walked past JJB Sports selling the latest Man Utd and Chelsea kits...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
still never set foot on that land and always maintained I would'nt until I've watched a game at Falmer, well before Falmer it was a case of never EVER setting foot on it then not until we had a new Stadium and NOW its cos we.........you get the idea!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I haven't even driven past the place (except once recently in a limo when I had no choice, but just looked the other way)... it makes me sad and angry.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I just dont understand this.

I get moaned at by some people on here for hating Manure for beating us in the Cup Final 26 years ago. People saying "It was years ago, get over it", yet the same people refuse to go to the shops that the Goldstone was on despite these shops having absolutely nothing to do with the selling and consequent demolition of the ground.

Weird.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I just dont understand this.

I get moaned at by some people on here for hating Manure for beating us in the Cup Final 26 years ago. People saying "It was years ago, get over it", yet the same people refuse to go to the shops that the Goldstone was on despite these shops having absolutely nothing to do with the selling and consequent demolition of the ground.

Weird.

Well, to hate a team with such fervour for beating us in just one game is quite hard to appreciate. The whole Goldstone things goes a little deeper, our clubs home was sold from under us by persons hell bent on basically ending our clubs existance, and to feather their own nests. Now for me that is a lot harder to get over. I shall avoid going by or going in the Goldstone Retail park for as long as I can.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Well, to hate a team with such fervour for beating us in just one game is quite hard to appreciate. The whole Goldstone things goes a little deeper, our clubs home was sold from under us by persons hell bent on basically ending our clubs existance, and to feather their own nests. Now for me that is a lot harder to get over. I shall avoid going by or going in the Goldstone Retail park for as long as I can.

I was gonna say pretty much the same. What did people expect Man Utd to do, not try and win?!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I drove past the retail park with my 2 year old son last week and I tried to explain to him that the area was the former home of my favourite football team.

It was quite an emotional moment for me but it meant absolutely nothing to him....

I haven't even driven past the place (except once recently in a limo when I had no choice, but just looked the other way)... it makes me sad and angry.

Same here; stopped outside in my father's funeral corteige (that's what he wanted) nearly six years ago but looked at the "goldstone" in Hove Park throughout.

I shall not return until the morning of first home league game at Falmer when my son and I will walk from Old Shoreham Road to the new stadium via Withdean.

D

Deleted User X18H

I made my wife go to Comet there last week, (whilst I sat in Hove Park), to get a Nike and IPOD device!! You can still smell it if you try hard enough you know, pipe tobacco, undercooked burgers etc!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Falmer is being built and what happened in the past should stay in the past.

Like the Hindu's say:

Whatever happened in the past, happened for the best
Whatever is happening now is happening for the best
Whatever will happen in the future will happen for the best
Do not regret the past, do not worry about the future
Concentrate on the present it is all you can influence.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
My mum took me there when i was about nine, to go to toys are us and pick my christmas present, i point blank refused to go in. My mum left me in tha car. To this day i still havent entered a shop on that site, and as far as i can remember i havent entered a Focus DIY either. :ascarf:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My mum took me there when i was about nine, to go to toys are us and pick my christmas present, i point blank refused to go in. My mum left me in tha car. To this day i still havent entered a shop on that site, and as far as i can remember i havent entered a Focus DIY either. :ascarf:

How old were you when the goldstone was knocked down?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I shall not return until the morning of first home league game at Falmer when my son and I will walk from Old Shoreham Road to the new stadium via Withdean.

Cant be arsed to walk past The Pissfield Stadium as well then? :laugh:
Dont blame ya mate :thumbsup:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

But the sale of The Goldstone had nothing to do with Burger King, JJb, Comet or the Furniture Place, penalising them for buying flat land is pointless.

The blame lays with Archer & Bellotti and for that reason I will never ever go into Focud DIY regardless of whether he still owns it, they will never be forgiven and nor should they but the shops that now reside on the hallowed ground are free from blame IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I still look at photo's of the ground and step back 15 years and the walk down Goldstone Lane (behind the chicken run) always gets me reminicing but I haven't had a problem going to the retail park for years.

The only thing that annoys me about the place is that their is no statue, sign or anything that makes reference to what was there before and I doubt that the people that work there have any idea of the history of the place.

:falmer::ascarf:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
How old were you when the goldstone was knocked down?

He was about 7, Im the Idiot that brain-washed his tiny mind into following the Blue & White Gods.
I was so proud when his mum came home that day and told me about him refusing to go in toys r us, I mean that, to a kid, is like wnning the Golden ticket for Willie Wonkas and ripping it up.
His mum was fuckin furious though, stupid bitch :laugh:

I drive past occasionally and once was forced to drop off my then girlfriend in the car park. She asked me to wait in the car park for her, I refused and waited for her outside, the thirty seconds in the car park was enough for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here