Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Barnsley thread

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The only big positive for me was seeing a decent cameo performance from KLL who could have scored with a cracking shot that just fizzed wide. He easily had the beating of his man until they doubled up on him. Delap was lucky not to get an red card for a scything challenge on KLL only seconds after Bridders got taken out with another red card tackle. Yet aother inconsistent Ref.

Barker did ok when he came on too and had a decent header late on.

Other than that it was a pretty inept performance by us and quite the opposite to the Bolton game where we looked sharp, passed and tackled well and created loads of pressure and chances. We badly missed the movement of CMS and invention form Vicente.

Last night it was us that looked like nervy relegation fodder whereas Barnsley looked up for it and you could see them raise their game a couple of notches as soon as they sensed that the Albion weren't on form. The omens didn't look good when an unmarked Buckley failed to hit the target let alone trouble their keeper from the edge of the box in the first couple of minutes. If only....

Ok we created several chances in the second half but as usual very few really troubled their keeper.

Collectively we were poor but El Abd was a real worry, both defensively and his distribution was worse than usual. We cannot defend like that at this level. Maybe we need to look at the young Dutch lad again - someone a bit more cultured in defence with a bit more pace and comfortable on the ball.

It would be easy to slate the team but Gus needs to buck his ideas up. Ok the injuries dont help but we didn't look motivated last night.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Interesting to read these comments. Although I didn't go last night, I was at Bolton where, it seems, a totally different Albion turned up. And then some. That game was one of the best I'd seen us play all season. It had delightful passing, quality movement, intelligence, plus loads of decent goal attempts and corners. No stars to pick out, but a superb team performance, and a magnificent demonstration of everything that Gus has been trying to achieve, fully justifying that 'Premier League quality' accolade from Bolton keeper Andy Lonergan.

How could all that have fallen apart in just three days? Possibly rather more to do with the dressing room than tiredness, one suspects. Sunday will tell us more.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps the two game ban has come at the right time for El-Abd. Greer and Upson should improve our passing game if nothing else.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The one bright note was Lua Lua he looked really threatening everytime he got on the ball and there was a brief spell when when we equalised when we looked like we'd push on and take the win. Brief being the word as within 5 minutes or so we handed them the game on a plate. IMO Kaz should start ahead of Buckley off the back of that performance far more desire and confidence

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The one bright note was Lua Lua he looked really threatening everytime he got on the ball

The amount he has been under-used this season is absolutely criminal, especially with Buckley being off form. Poyet must hate him or something.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I was genuinely unaware Barker had touched the ball until his header didn't go too far wide. Maybe I was just distracted by Albions terrible footballing.

It was a standard Albion performance under Poyet. Slow, laboured and sloppy. Next to no attacking threat throughout, simple passes regularly going askew (I thought this was meant to be a passing team that kept possession? We are woefully inept at doing either), absolutely no interest in showing for the ball in midfield when it's at a defenders feet, no movement or pace throughout the team. All systemic faults of Poyets squad which I see every time I watch Albion play and that is why I am Poyet Out because the football is not improving to my eyes, and neither are the results. Not an over reaction, I'd have said the same after we beat cardiff. Lets just hope Palace don't shaft us too badly on Sunday because if the team that turned up tonight doesn't up their game significantly it will be UGLY come 1.45 on Sunday.

A sensible post [MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION]---keep em up:thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Interesting to read a well written 'Poyet out' post from a fan who actually goes to these away games rather than the usual NSC keyboard warriors.

Indeed, very interesting. Well done that man!

Clearly the guy has a much higher boredom threshold than me. I am only about an hour away, but after going there last season and watching the lads at Wednesday (another shit-hole!), there was no way I was going to watch more of this Poyet rubbish, in some god-forsaken Yorkshire town freezing by bollocks off.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The amount he has been under-used this season is absolutely criminal, especially with Buckley being off form. Poyet must hate him or something.

I totally agree. Even when Will Buckley is on form, LuaLua is a different type of player, and strong, quick and exciting. Oh, I have just realised why Poyet does not like him!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I was unfortunate enough to go to all 3 away games, and overall we were bloody terrible.

Bolton we certainly deserved to get something out of the game, but against Bristol and Barnsley, we were toothless. Unless we get a proven goalscorer in we will NOT be anywhere close to the play-offs come the end of the season.

Positives out of the Barnsley game? Lua Lua without a doubt, and I thought Barker looked very bright when he came on. Would like to see him get some more game time for the last few games of the season if Play-Offs aren't a possibility.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was unfortunate enough to go to all 3 away games, and overall we were bloody terrible.

Bolton we certainly deserved to get something out of the game, but against Bristol and Barnsley, we were toothless. Unless we get a proven goalscorer in we will NOT be anywhere close to the play-offs come the end of the season.

Positives out of the Barnsley game? Lua Lua without a doubt, and I thought Barker looked very bright when he came on. Would like to see him get some more game time for the last few games of the season if Play-Offs aren't a possibility.

Top marks for going to all three ..peeps who travel so far always hav my respect even if I don't agree with them

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Top marks for going to all three ..peeps who travel so far always hav my respect even if I don't agree with them

I've only been to a few away games this season prior to these, just happened I had a lot of holiday left to use up before the new business year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here