Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just an Idea

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
With regards to paper tickets being issued, im under the impression that a big percentage of these will be purchased online. If this is the case, given the fact that each purchase is given a payment reference, can a receipt with a barcode not be printed from the buyers PC, allowing them to scan at the gates, i recently had to do this to see Jason Manford at the brighton centre.....might stop the big queues before kick off.........

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Small thought,if you can print it once-you could print it a thousand times.Could turn into a priceless tool for a tout, how would they prevent a procession of fans turning up using(perhaps unwittingly) duplicates?

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
fair comment, what about a membership card similar to the old days, similar to this seasons season tickets

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
A women behind me didn't have tickets she had some print out like from a pc. It had barcodes on it one of the security guys was talking to her but dunno what was said.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Small thought,if you can print it once-you could print it a thousand times.Could turn into a priceless tool for a tout, how would they prevent a procession of fans turning up using(perhaps unwittingly) duplicates?

Once the system recognises that bar code once it will block entry for anyone else trying to use the same bar code.

It works very well and is proven as workable for airlines and concert tickets so I doubt anyone would even consider buying an A4 sheet of computer printed paper from a tout, and if they did more fool them and they won't do it again!

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
How about for non STH who will attend fairly regularly they could issue an 'empty' season ticket and just load it up electronically for individual games when the tickets are purchased either online or at the ticket office.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How about for non STH who will attend fairly regularly they could issue an 'empty' season ticket and just load it up electronically for individual games when the tickets are purchased either online or at the ticket office.

I thought that was part of the club's plan.

The print your own ticket idea is also good-works for airlines and that's for boarding passes, why not football?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If I sell my seat for a given game to a friend/someone I don't know, I would want to give them one of these self-printed tickets rather than give them custody of my season ticket card which might have £100 loaded on it that this person could use very easily. And then you have the issue of getting the ticket back.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
but the problem,possibly unique to football is.
A tout could photocopy(or print)a billion tickets if so inclined and sell them on to a hoast of innocent punters,you let one in.What do you do about the hoard of people wanting access with duplicates?
Airlines expect passports to back up the named ticket holder,would you risk losing your passport to gain admitance?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As somebody said the bar code could be only able to be downloaded once in a very short time scale. When putting through the scanner it would show that ticket as having been used and if a genuine ticket bought from the club website a steward could check the seat out to see who is sitting there. Yes you may miss a minute of the game waiting or could they not send a pin number through by e mail which only the genuine purchaser would have.

A simpler answer would be have a kiosk for all prepaid tickets that were just for collection away from the shop itself.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
If you buy a ticket online for the game, and printed off copies to sell, surely the club would be able to trace you via your fan number and then ban you from buying tickets in the future.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
If you buy a ticket online for the game, and printed off copies to sell, surely the club would be able to trace you via your fan number and then ban you from buying tickets in the future.

Loads of use to the(hypothetical)3000 fans turning up at the turnstile with photocopied duplicates expecting,all 3000,to be admitted to sit in Northstand row d block g seat 192

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Loads of use to the(hypothetical)3000 fans turning up at the turnstile with photocopied duplicates expecting,all 3000,to be admitted to sit in Northstand row d block g seat 192

Which (hypothetical) fans would buy a ticket from someone they didn't know if it was just a piece of paper with a barcode and a seat number written on it, that was printed off the internet?
People are not that stupid. I hope.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I went to the athletics at Crystal Palace last Friday. Printed all our tickets off at home after they were emailed to me. Unique bar code on each. No problems on the gate, steward just checked them as if they were a traditional ticket. Designed to stop tickets being lost or delayed in the post.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
i thought we would be issued cards, i was told there was a plan for a membership scheme for non season ticket holders, guess that went by the way side

I think you will, at least that is the plan, but I guess its on the list of things to do once everything clams down a bit.

With non-STH's getting a card, they will have to bring with them their email confirmation, otherwise they might forget which seats were there's unless the stewards had hand held scanners to read the smart card, which I assume isn't outside the relams of possibility.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What happened to the idea of having a barcode sent to your phone and using that?
Is that still on the agenda?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The barcode technology already exists and I see no reason why it cannot be used. The scope for abuse is pretty limited, no one is going to buy a paper print out off a tout. If it's good enough for airlines and concerts it should be good enough for football.

The ideal solution would be the issuing of smart cards to all fans who buy a home ticket, which I thought was the plan anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here