Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jurgen Locadia season-long loan to Hoffenheim

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm amazed that there's been nobody in the recruitment team moving on 'by mutual consent'. The failure to strengthen the first team last season was abysmal despite the tens of millions of quid pissed up the wall.

I suspect with Potters man involved it is only a matter of time before 1 or 2 move on. £30M+ pissed up on the wall on complete failures

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Looks like Potter has given him his chance, but has been less than impressed, particularly with his substitute appearance on Saturday where Potter wanted absolute commitment. What he got was a lot less, and the result is that a decision has been made to offload.
Good, sets the bar on what is expected.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Or it's just that football isn't an exact science, and all the scouts, coaches and recruitment experts in the world can't always get it right. Who really thought Torres wouldn't be a success at Chelsea? Or Robbie Keane at Liverpool? There's loads of examples of it. The stakes just feel higher now because we're in the Premier League and the sums are so big, but actually they are lower. because we can now afford to have a £15 million player on £50K a week not work out, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Yeah, I get it happens a lot, as I said and yes, not every signing is going to be a huge success. Maybe we've just been unlucky to seemingly get three big name players in in or around the same time who haven't set the world alight in their new surroundings?

Agree with the stakes being lower – mad that we can afford to take a hit on these players because it's balanced out with the TV deal money.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I disagree with all of that and I am sure GP would.

But out of the two of you....the one that matters isnt you, and the one that matters is shipping him out on loan.
So maybe you got 50% of your estimate wrong ......again

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect with Potters man involved it is only a matter of time before 1 or 2 move on. £30M+ pissed up on the wall on complete failures

Potter's man AND probably more crucially, Dan Ashworth. Hopefully we'll have seen the last of such abject nonsense as buying multiple players that don't even have work permits to play in this country. And oddly enough, this time around we appear to have signed players that can slot right into the first team without a year's worth of excuses. Welcome return to the basics of recruitment maybe? Certainly looks like it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This would annoy me because one of the criticisms the club put about at the time of Hughton getting sacked, was that he hadn’t played our big money signings. Now if Locadia goes out on loan then surely the same criticism should be leveled at Potter. How can Hughton be in the wrong for not playing Locadia, but its fine for Potter to get rid of him? To be clear, I’m not having a pop at Potter here, I’m having a pop at the club because I think it’s a double standard. The bottom line is, rather than blaming Hughton for the failure for big money signings to step up to the grade in the Prem. Maybe the club should have a good hard look at it’s recruitment policy.
The recruitment policy will always evolve and learn lessons. Algorithms will be refined and requirement weightings altered.

In fact, it has done pretty well. 80%+ success, pretty decent, I think, but without doubt we'll always look to improve.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is arguably the first transfer decision which has been made for the benefit of a younger player coming through. Aaron Connolly is now right in the first team picture and we could see him sitting on the bench, or at least travelling with the squad, whilst Andone is unavailable.

Locadia is a box player, but we don't play a great deal in the opponents box, so we've not really seen what he's about. Under Hughton it was decreed he could play left wing, which he absolutely can't. He scored a good goal against Arsenal when played in his natural position, also finished well against Everton and Millwall in the Cup. It was fairly clear what he was about - but it never worked for him here because Murray is our main striker on merit and ability. Locadia was never able to displace him and he was a little bit unlucky that Murray largely remained injury free. He never really got his chance, but never justified being picked ahead of Sir Glenn.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I would rather we kept him as I think that he will score goals and all the bull that he was crap when hje cam on against Southampton is a view expressed by those who dont rate him, but not fact. The shot that hit the post could just haveeasily hit the post and gone in and we would all be sayin g how he took it well. I think that he tried to be too sure and the moment went.

He was offside when he hit the post ! Probably already been said.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
It’s looking like GP is in agreement with what many on NSC have been saying since he signed. Those of us who championed him look like being proved wrong. There are times you have to hold your hand up :down:

I would have expected AJ to be shipped out before Locadia personally :shrug:

I always thought he was ok, but i'm having my doubts now! He seemed to be totally not bothered on Saturday. I'm guessing he is a bit of a sulker.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The recruitment policy will always evolve and learn lessons. Algorithms will be refined and requirement weightings altered.

In fact, it has done pretty well. 80%+ success, pretty decent, I think, but without doubt we'll always look to improve.

I'm sure the policy will evolve and I accept that there are/will be errors, if we all admit that you cannot be 100% successful with transfers that's ok with me. I also appreciate that while players are still on our books, you can't really go around saying "we've messed up on our transfers", that wouldn't be fair to anyone. However I also don't think it's fair to pass the buck to someone like Hughton just so it supports the argument to sack him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This would annoy me because one of the criticisms the club put about at the time of Hughton getting sacked, was that he hadn’t played our big money signings. Now if Locadia goes out on loan then surely the same criticism should be leveled at Potter. How can Hughton be in the wrong for not playing Locadia, but its fine for Potter to get rid of him? To be clear, I’m not having a pop at Potter here, I’m having a pop at the club because I think it’s a double standard. The bottom line is, rather than blaming Hughton for the failure for big money signings to step up to the grade in the Prem. Maybe the club should have a good hard look at it’s recruitment policy.

Can you point me to where the club put about criticisms like this?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I can always forgive a player who lacks skill or talent. I can never forgive a player for lacking application & effort.

Won't be at all sorry see Locadia binned off. Always had too much of the "kemy's" about him for my liking.

german transfer deadline day is sunday right? therefore we will likely know Saturday at 2pm. If Jurgs is playing or even on the bench then he's staying. Club wouldnt risk a potential loan deal on the last day by playing him in case he got injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here