Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] June 16 - Happy Bloomsday!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
If you know, you know. But if you don't, there's info about the second and third most important Blooms* after Tony

*I am prepared to entertain the notion that Harry could be second.
Indeed
IMG_1069.jpeg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone on here managed to read Ulysses in its entirety? I‘Ve tried a few times but never get that far with it. Kudos to any who have persevered wit it to the end.
I did, on about my fifth attempt. Out of sheer bloody-mindedness. I concur with Virginia Woolf’s opinion: “Ulysses was a memorable catastrophe—immense in daring, terrific in disaster."

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Anyone on here managed to read Ulysses in its entirety? I‘Ve tried a few times but never get that far with it. Kudos to any who have persevered wit it to the end.
Tried when I was too young to appreciate it. Had another go years later and loved it, although I wouldn't claim to get all of it. I found it helped to imagine it all in various Commitments and Father Ted accents.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Happy Bloomsday all.

James Joyce was a genius. Ulysses is not an easy read (obviously) but all life is there. And as in life the more you put in, the more you get out.

Listen to the RTE version, available as a podcast. It’s brilliant. Listen to the Shakespeare & Co analysis (I’m not such a fan of their reading).

And if it’s not your bag, listen to Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man on the iPlayer. Beautifully read by the sexy priest.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Happy Bloomsday all.

James Joyce was a genius. Ulysses is not an easy read (obviously) but all life is there. And as in life the more you put in, the more you get out.

Listen to the RTE version, available as a podcast. It’s brilliant. Listen to the Shakespeare & Co analysis (I’m not such a fan of their reading).

And if it’s not your bag, listen to Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man on the iPlayer. Beautifully read by the sexy priest.
Thanks for the tip, will try and find.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I gave it a go about a decade ago - I got to the chapter written in styles of English over the centuries and thought life was too short.

A while later I half listened on Audible, then bought myself a lovely hardback copy with a clear font and gave it another go.

It’s the book I most listen to, and read these days. It brings a pleasure to my life and you can’t have too many of those.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read it while backpacking in Latin America. Limitless free time and lots of long bus journeys helped.
I had a similar experience with Proust in the south of France. A week on my own and I read about two-thirds of A la recherche du temps perdu. Holidays on your own are a great way to get through lots of reading.

As for Ulysses, I read it was 18 and most of it went over my head, I read it again in my 30s and it made more sense. Time to read it again, now I'm in my 60s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here