Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

July 2015 budget

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm pretty sure I read that the stamp duty changes would keep the income to the government the same. It made sense to update such an insane way to collecting tax. Now it's tapered like income tax. It was absurd that if you paid £250,0001 for a property you were punished with a stamp duty rate across almost the whole value.

Sadly the stamp duty reform cost £1 billion. An average Brighton house at £300k now attracts £4k, before it was £9k. Loss of £5k, a mindless giveaway that will only heat up the market further as well

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MPs are due a 10% pay increase this year and more likely than not to increase their salary by £19k over the next 4 years.

Quite sickening,

To go down this avenue is just lazy and/or stupid.

1. MPs from all sides oppose the pay rise being proposed by Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) with David Cameron saying: "On the issue of IPSA I’ve been very clear – it’s not the right approach, it’s not the right time, it’s not the right deal and they should think again. I am not the one proposing this increase, I’m the one opposing this increase. IPSA have time to think again, and so they should do that."

2. The current government are proposing a cut from 650 to 600 MPs - a move that will cut the total cost of our government.

But aside from all of this, is the current MPs salary of £67,000 really commensurate with the role? It strikes me as being very much on the low side.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To go down this avenue is just lazy and/or stupid.

1. MPs from all sides oppose the pay rise being proposed by Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) with David Cameron saying: "On the issue of IPSA I’ve been very clear – it’s not the right approach, it’s not the right time, it’s not the right deal and they should think again. I am not the one proposing this increase, I’m the one opposing this increase. IPSA have time to think again, and so they should do that."

2. The current government are proposing a cut from 650 to 600 MPs - a move that will cut the total cost of our government.

But aside from all of this, is the current MPs salary of £67,000 really commensurate with the role? It strikes me as being very much on the low side.

I agree...pay more and none of them will have an excuse to do any stuff on the side..we are asking them to run the shop after all (well at least give that impression)

Dandyman

In London village.
No real surprises - handouts for the wealthy, cuts and falling living standards for the rest of us.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No real surprises - handouts for the wealthy, cuts and falling living standards for the rest of us.

My experience of budgets is to wait and see what pops out of the woodwork in the days after....often the devil is in the detail ...will be interesting to see what unfolds and the implications

Dandyman

In London village.
Is the world so black and white to you?

A government of millionaires ruling for their own kind is very black and white to me and most of the country.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree...pay more and none of them will have an excuse to do any stuff on the side..we are asking them to run the shop after all (well at least give that impression)

Here the the recesses enjoyed by our elected officials

Summer 21 July 2015-7 September 2015 (47 days)
Conference 17 September 2015 12 October 2015 (25 days)
November 10 November 2015 16 November 2015 (6 days)
Christmas 17 December 2015 5 January 2016 (19 days)
February 11 February 2016 22 February 2016 (11 days)

Grand total 108 days of closed Parliament.

In addition to the £67,000 MPs are given a £20,000 rental allowance for a property in London, and a staffing allowance of £137-144,000 (which may include one relative), an office costs allowance of £25,000. First time MPs get a start-up allowance of £6,000 and those who lose an existing seat £46,000 as a settlement.

They are also allowed to hold directorships and roles within commercial organisations and trade unions.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My experience of budgets is to wait and see what pops out of the woodwork in the days after....often the devil is in the detail ...will be interesting to see what unfolds and the implications

Agreed , we've only heard the outlines today , some of the more nasty stuff often gets revealed once the small print has been scrutinised.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Here the the recesses enjoyed by our elected officials

Summer 21 July 2015-7 September 2015 (47 days)
Conference 17 September 2015 12 October 2015 (25 days)
November 10 November 2015 16 November 2015 (6 days)
Christmas 17 December 2015 5 January 2016 (19 days)
February 11 February 2016 22 February 2016 (11 days)

Grand total 108 days of closed Parliament.

In addition to the £67,000 MPs are given a £20,000 rental allowance for a property in London, and a staffing allowance of £137-144,000 (which may include one relative), an office costs allowance of £25,000. First time MPs get a start-up allowance of £6,000 and those who lose an existing seat £46,000 as a settlement.

They are also allowed to hold directorships and roles within commercial organisations and trade unions.

Thats what i mean by other stuff ..knock it on the head..i'll stand by what i said before.

ps You've missed out the subsidised bar at THOC

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[/B]

Thats what i mean by other stuff ..knock it on the head..i'll stand by what i said before

Understand where you are coming from, but suspect they will always do both. An experienced barrier is on half a million a year (or two thirds of what we are paying Chris O'Grady!)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm confused by this small snippet I saw in The Times today outlining the expected budget and it's implications...

Working Tax Credit : One proposal is returning Tax Credits to their 2003 value which would save about £5 Billion.

Pros : Reforms may give people an incentive to return to work and force companies to increase low salaries.

Cons : About 3.7 million Low-income families would lose £1,400.00 a year.

Just confused that an increasing pool of job seekers would somehow encourage companies to increase the wages they pay ? Surely a shortage of workers leads to an increase in salaries as employers compete to pick up better calibre employees from a dwindling supply ? I'm pretty sure Sainsbury's are not going to up their hourly rate by £2 an hour spontaneously.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I sure as hell wouldn't do the job for that little.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The only surprise was that that muppet Ian Duncan Smith made himself look even more of a d***head than usual. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Why else do you think the standard of politicians of all parties is so low? Can you imagine any other walk of life in which no-marks and empty suits like Cameron, Duncan Smith, Diane Abbott, Nick Clegg and the rest would command any attention whatever? Anyone with any talent is doing something that's either more lucrative or more fun.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm confused by this small snippet I saw in The Times today outlining the expected budget and it's implications...

wage demands are currently suppressed due to many in the the work force getting a subsidy.

you are quite to observe that companies may not like increasing pay, nor does it increase the number of jobs available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here