Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Juan Mata urges footballers to donate 1% of their salaries

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was going to say none more so than Craig Bellamy.
But a quick pre-post google fact check suggests that might not be the case.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
I'd have to agree that most probably do give some away.

When you want for nothing and live a privileged lifestyle I'd imagine it would be a very good feeling to help others less fortunate than yourself.

I also think that feeling could be somewhat addictive.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
According to the BBC Neymar's charitable foundation in Brazil also received £2m from his deal. Which was nice.
However thats £31m less than his other charity....His Dad!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd have to agree that most probably do give some away.

When you want for nothing and live a privileged lifestyle I'd imagine it would be a very good feeling to help others less fortunate than yourself.

I also think that feeling could be somewhat addictive.

Calde did a lot of work helping Chestnut Tree House, and Stockdale sponsored footballs for a goalkeeping academy in Kent.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sadly I would suspect that the 1% or any levy would quickly be factored into the players contract, quickly it would just be funded by that players club and ultimately the fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm generally a bit cynical of footballers and their charity's. They always include their name in the "foundation", always hold grand gala events....and always disappear once they retire. Given most footballers have even more spare time when they stop playing I'd expect them to be even more involved; not the opposite. Stephen Ireland is a prime example. Now he's out the spot light he doesn't bother.

Some footballers buck the trend. I genuinely believe Beckham has the right motivation. And Calderon's efforts are clearly sincere. I think this Mata chap is sincere as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here